Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 27, 2017 12:52PM

?

I think so; don't they wear themselves to a frazzle living that way?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2017 12:53PM by GNPE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: annieg ( )
Date: September 27, 2017 12:58PM

I think the old boys win the most up-tight people in the world title. I think the church works both make and female TBMs to death only in different ways. What's worth eighteen hour days all alone with a mess of kids from toddlers to teens or long days at work followed by boring do nothing evening meetings where you take shit from the bishop and stake president and then a Sunday of more of the same. I honestly couldn't choose what would be worse.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: September 27, 2017 01:46PM

Nope, nope, and NOPE. It's the R.S. sisters with a ***** up their behinds!

I'll never forget the Come-to-Jesus meeting I had with the R.S. Prez when she called me as one of her counselors. I had JUST given birth and my maternity garments were too big. My old G's were too small as I hadn't yet lost the baby weight. So I gathered up my oldie-goldie panties from pre-Mormon days and hoped for the best.

She honestly (I swear to GAWD) called me over to her house to meet with me one-on-one and tell me that if I were to be her counselor, I *HAD* to wear my garments to all R.S. functions and church. WTH???! How close did she have to be looking to even *know* if I were wearing garments anyway??

So she bought me an entire week's worth of correctly sized garments from Beehive clothing. (We were newly marrieds and college students and didn't have the funds to buy new garments). The whole experience was demoralizing and humiliating.

And this is just one example of her Nazi rules and Mormon regulations. It didn't take long for me to see the light...not long at all.

I quit the R.S. Presidency and later quit the church. See my finger in the rearview mirror as I race away? Bwahahahaha.....

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 28, 2017 03:06PM

That's despicable that they humiliated you over underwear.

Outrageous!

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 28, 2017 03:34PM

DW and I were newlyweds living with my parents when the HT-VT pair (same couple serviced my folks) came over for their monthly visit. The sister smiled at my lovely wife and told her "That's a wonderful print you're wearing on your blouse." I began to think to myself that it was SO nice for my wife to receive a compliment from the lady since my wife was NEW to the ward. Then the sister continued her train of thought, "I was just thinking about making some new curtains for the bathroom and I am going to get a pattern just like your shirt." DW was stunned. Needless to say, we went out for a Sunday drive every time the HT-VT pair came over to visit.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: September 27, 2017 01:07PM

The world's a big place, and Mormon's are but a small cog in it.

For instance, Muslim women--who have just (finally) been give the right to drive a car, let alone be allowed to be seen in public without their face covered.

So, no, I don't agree with this subject's premise.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: September 27, 2017 05:02PM

pollythinks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For instance, Muslim women--who have just
> (finally) been give the right to drive a car, let
> alone be allowed to be seen in public without
> their face covered.

"Muslim women" have only been restricted from driving in ONE country in the world: Saudi Arabia.

(This restriction also applied to American, Canadian, British, French, German, etc. women, of any religion or none, who were or are physically in Saudi Arabia--outside of the walled living compounds which are, and have been in the past, treated as "non-Saudi property" for the purposes of laws such as these. In other words, American women in Saudi Arabia have always been able to drive on the neighborhood streets within the compounds, but have not been allowed to drive outside of the compound walls. The Saudi law which prohibited females driving on public streets didn't have to do with religion or ethnicity, it had to do with gender only, and it applied to ALL women, regardless of their religion, ethnicity, or nationality.)

There are approximately 900,000,000 (nine hundred million) Muslim females (of all ages) on the planet...so this newly-granted ability to drive on the public roads only affects less than 15,871,154 of them. (The population of Saudi Arabia, according to the Saudi government, is 31,742,308.)

Outside of Saudi Arabia, there have been no restrictions on women (of any religion or background) driving...not that I am aware of.

As wonderful as this new legal permission is, it affects significantly less than 18% of the world's total Muslim population (since the population number of total Saudi females includes female infants and female underage children, in addition to Saudi adult women)...

...but it is truly important, immensely significant, and very much appreciated.

EDITED TO ADD: Someone close to me pointed out that the law against females driving in Saudi Arabia did not pertain to women in the American (presumably also: etc.) military who were in uniform...which leads to another question: did this law apply to women in the diplomatic corps? Does anyone here know?

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2017 08:22PM by Tevai.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: September 27, 2017 01:12PM

You have no idea. Example one, the lady down my street if you have ever heard my stories about her on here.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 27, 2017 01:20PM

If you look at pictures of her before she went back and how she looks now--she is SO UPTIGHT. You can definitely see it in her face. When she is here, she is always asking me if she really has to do such and such, and will God understand if she doesn't.

She does 1-1/2 hours of scripture study, etc., every morning. She used to go do baptisms once or twice a week. Now she has gone through the temple, she now goes to the temple in Anchorage. She has probably been more times than I ever went and it has only been since February since she went through.

She never allows herself to relax.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: September 27, 2017 01:50PM

Yup

;o)

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: September 27, 2017 02:12PM

They're afraid to take a deep breath or put their feet up because they might start pondering about some of the mindless things they believe.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 28, 2017 02:59AM

For what she spends on the temple, she could get a human-sized hamster wheel.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: September 27, 2017 02:50PM

Yep. I know a lot of uptight women in the LDS church. There are definitely some uptight men, but I think that as a whole, LDS women win the uptight award.

I taught Primary for many years while in the church, most of it in Sunbeams. Anyone who has ever taught Primary, especially the younger classes, knows that the lessons in the manual don't even begin to fill the class time you have. I made several games to play and went to Deseret Book to purchase a supplement to the manual that had coloring pages that corresponded with the lessons in the manual.

The Primary President observed my class one Sunday and flipped out. She said church wasn't for playing and that I wasn't to play games with the kids. I was told not to use any materials other than the manual. She learned other teachers were doing just what I was doing and she instructed the ward librarian not to make any copies for us from the supplemental books.

I didn't listen to her. I just made my own copies and went on as before. She wasn't the one who had to spend over 45 minutes of class time with a bunch of three-year-olds every Sunday.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2017 05:21PM by want2bx.

Posted by: TheLurkerThatCameToPass. ( )
Date: September 28, 2017 07:35AM

As a NeverMo this sounds crazy (in a few ways), but what sorts of things do you teach 3 years olds in Church?

Especially that there was a manual and therefore a set lesson plan...

Did they even retain any information from week to week?

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: September 28, 2017 02:45PM

If you have a minute, you can see the LDS lesson topics for three-year-olds here:

https://www.lds.org/manual/primary-1?lang=eng

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: September 27, 2017 05:19PM

As a group, no. When I was TBM, I avoided the ones that were.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 27, 2017 06:51PM

Yup, 'Flipped Out' pretty well covers it...

just sayin'

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: September 28, 2017 10:39AM

They really are the most up-tight people in the world. They put up walls, put on masks, and put anti-depressants in their bodies.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.