Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: MyExMormonLife ( )
Date: September 29, 2017 04:22PM

The whole narrative that Mormons believe about your life falling apart after leaving Mormonism is such a crock of shit.

Three years ago next week I stood on the Yaquina Bay Bridge in Newport, Oregon intending to throw myself off. This is what Mormonism drove me to. I had been a Mormon convert of 28 years and stopped believing in it a few years after joining, but stayed because I had married and had children. I was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease in 2012. By 2014, my life had become utterly without hope. I had lost faith in Mormonism, was in a failed Mormon marriage, with an incurable illness, and the poor lapdog of a Mormon spouse who sought pity because of me. On the night I announced I was divorcing my (now ex-) wife, my RM son cornered me in the kitchen and beat me, while I shook with the tremors of Parkinson's Disease. Life could not have been more desperately unhappy.

So when I heard one of the Mormon Apostles say "What will you do and where will you go if you leave the Church?" I decided to make a list. I divorced and left the Church in 2014. This is my list, and it's 100% true:

I spent the holidays in 2014 in Vienna, married civilly in January 2015, and got cured of Parkinson's Disease (my kind was reversible, as it turns out, thanks to a doctor whom my new wife knows), finally started seeing a therapist to deal with the issues that drove me to Mormonism in the first place (a horrible birth family), started playing the bagpipes again and played at my father's funeral (I had given them up due to the Parkinson's), spent three weeks in Athens, flew to Rome for the weekend to stay at a country villa for a wedding, got married in a tiny church on the beach in Greece to my college sweetheart (whom I knew before I became a Mormon), honeymooned on Greek islands, started working again for my own company (I had been on disability for years due to my illness), spent three weeks in Scotland, went back to Greece for a month, spent a few weeks in Mexico at a 5-star resort, went back to Greece for two weeks to be a featured performer in Athens at the 3rd Annual Celtic Music Festival, flew to London for a week to be in a commercial, then went back to Greece for a month to work and vacation, and tonight I'm headed to Turkey then on to Greece for a film premiere where the Greek Prime Minister is expected to be in attendance.

The list goes on and on...I work internationally now, doing what I love - video production and editing. I've met some of the most skilled and important doctors in the world, have become friends with people from a dozen countries, have dined in some of the finest restaurants in the city, have been the dinner guest of multi-millionaires and their families, have met ambassadors and important politicians, have helped cancer patients who are desperately ill and without hope to find healing and peace, volunteer to raise money for poverty alleviation in Uganda using my newly found skills, raise awareness for a volunteer cancer care non-profit that take lifesaving drugs to the poor in villages and islands in Greece, have become friends with some of the most kind and decent people I've ever known, self-published my first book, have learned a new language that we speak at home, and now I have a family that I married into scattered across the globe whom I love, and who love me dearly. When I tell them what I once believed they shake their heads.

Yes, I paid a price when I left. The price I paid was losing my children, who remain true believing Mormons. I also lost every friend I ever made in Mormonism (is that really a bad thing?), my entire life savings, my house, my cars, and left with one single carry-on suitcase containing all my worldly goods. But would I pay that price again? Yes, absolutely. I have hope that someday my children will come to their senses. I left things that I once valued, but I have received more than I ever imagined - health, happiness, peace of mind, and above all else freedom. I didn't know how unhappy I was until I experienced what real happiness is. I never knew love until I was finally, truly loved, without conditions.

The truth is, life gets better - beyond your wildest dreams - when you leave Mormonism behind and embrace the beauty of forging your own path in life, of facing your inner demons with courage, of making your OWN decisions, and of experiencing and learning real, honest-to-goodness love rather than the conditional acceptance love found in Mormonism.

Where will you go if you leave Mormonism?

Anywhere. You can go anywhere. You can do anything. Your life has no limits.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: September 29, 2017 04:45PM

Wow! Your current life sounds like something from a movie, and I am so happy for you. Most wonderful is that your Parkinson's was cured. (I just attended a memorial service on Monday for my older cousin who passed away from Parkinson's after suffering horribly with it for several years.)

May you continue to have a happy and successful life and career free of Mormonism.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 29, 2017 04:46PM

I'm glad you're here to share this with us.
Seriously.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: September 29, 2017 05:31PM

Spiritual Extortion. Thats what mormonism is.

Made to think Satan is real, made to think the outside world will never know "true" happiness unless your follow mormon rules and pay tithing (protection money).

I can't imagine having your own son beat you. A son that for his entire life was taught supposed christlike teachings and was sent out into the world for two years to be "like" christ turns out to act exactly like the fake Satan mormons are taught to despise.

Like you said the entire system is a crock of shit and the mormon elite at the top know it, feed it and I fear the system has become self sustaining.

Although I did not get beat by my son and the wife divorced me, not I her, it was the same. I left with nothing. Best thing that ever happened and it has just gotten better ever since.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2017 05:32PM by AmIDarkNow?.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: September 29, 2017 05:43PM

This gives me hope. I lost a lot as well mainly fininancial but i have gained a ton in being more healthy and i am hoping it gets better. I definitely feel like more of a real person thats for sure.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: September 29, 2017 10:27PM

Thank you for your encouraging story!

>>"The truth is, life gets better - beyond your wildest dreams - when you leave Mormonism behind and embrace the beauty of forging your own path in life, of facing your inner demons with courage, of making your OWN decisions, and of experiencing and learning real, honest-to-goodness love rather than the conditional acceptance love found in Mormonism.

>>Where will you go if you leave Mormonism?

>>Anywhere. You can go anywhere. You can do anything. Your life has no limits."

The "Love" we dream of, doesn't have to come from one spouse or "significant other". There are many sources of Love. Your story is more glamorous and exciting than mine--but the outcome is similar. I, too lost every one of my Mormon friends, and my Mormon relatives are shunning me--but my children resigned with me, and we are closer than ever.

The Mormons try to make us believe that the world outside of Mormonism is to be feared, and that being part of this "lone and dreary world" is the ultimate failure. Quite the opposite! Besides finding unconditional Love out here, I have found true friendship, honesty, really good people. For me now, Mormonism seems like "outer darkness".

Congratulations! It is very probable that your children will see the Truth. I hope you send them photos of all your adventures and places, plus birthday and Christmas cards. Never give up on them.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: September 29, 2017 10:48PM

The truth is, life gets better - beyond your wildest dreams - when you leave Mormonism behind and embrace the beauty of forging your own path in life, of facing your inner demons with courage, of making your OWN decisions, and of experiencing and learning real, honest-to-goodness love rather than the conditional acceptance love found in Mormonism.

Where will you go if you leave Mormonism?

Anywhere. You can go anywhere. You can do anything. Your life has no limits.

I couldn't agree more! I am doing things (I thoroughly enjoy) now I would have never believed I would be doing or have had any interest in when I was a Mormon.

Thanks for sharing ----- these 'positive thoughts'!

I do not read that many 'positive' things here.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: September 29, 2017 11:24PM

I too found myself driven to Mormonism (as a life raft) because of a horrible birth family, and have been in therapy for ten years. But it's only been 2 and a half years since I left Mormonism. My husband left with me, and my grown kids don't follow it. But it is sad to look back at the wastage of years.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 29, 2017 11:42PM

Especially weekend life!!

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: September 29, 2017 11:45PM

I still dont know what to do with my weekends.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.