Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: beeblequix ( )
Date: October 01, 2017 11:12AM

TL;DR: they firmly remain ignorant, make stuff up and bravely run away from the topic. I don't have much hope left of making Mormonism "true" in my mind.

Example:
Hi b,
We are currently away watching a live worldwide broadcast. Watch Live Stream
We invite you to participate and share your thoughts.
Now chatting with: Bee
Bee 8:56 AM
Hi b! Nice to meet you. What bring you to this chat today? :)

b 8:57 AM
Why does the word of wisdom allow beer but LDS people don't drink beer?
Bee 9:00 AM
No. word of Wisdom does not allow beer
Bee 9:01 AM
Please learn more about the word of wisdom :https://www.lds.org/bc/content/ldsorg/content/english/manual/missionary/pdf/36953_the-word-of-wisdom-eng.pdf?lang=eng
b 9:02 AM
Nevertheless, wheat for man, acnd corn for the ox, and oats for the horse, and rye for the fowls and for swine, and for all beasts of the field, *and barley for all useful animals, and for mild drinks*, as also other grain. Beer is made of barley.
b 9:03 AM
the Joseph Smith papers indicate that on 06/01/1844 that Joseph Smith had a beer as Moeser's
b 9:04 AM
he also had wine the night before he was shot
the word of wisdom also says it's not a commandment
so it's really, really confusing.
Bee 9:05 AM
Wine now have alcohol. The wine last time does not have alcohol.
b 9:06 AM
wait, what? Are you saying that wine only started having alcohol after a certain date?
Bee 9:07 AM
I have to go but you can continue to chat later
The chat session has ended.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: October 01, 2017 11:17AM

World of Warcraft? Jk dont flame me.

Date: October 01, 2017 11:38AM

I'll just LOL you (League of Legends)(don't flame me either ;) )

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: October 01, 2017 11:48AM

Nice, when i see WoW i cant help it, i had friends totally addicted to that game it was nuts. Some people really dont know when i am joking on here so i have to clarify even more.

Date: October 01, 2017 12:47PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2017 12:47PM by beeblequix.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 01, 2017 11:38AM

The chattanaries are taught to put Satan behind them, and Satan is whatever bothers them or ought to bother them, as the spirit guides them.

There is also the not uniquely mormon propensity of ignoring facts that run counter to current beliefs and practices. These adept at this are rewarded, which of course encourages it. Thus it comes as no surprise that they shun you, which pleases both themselves and their perceived masters.

...very normal behavior!

Date: October 01, 2017 12:48PM

So I followed the link that the missionary gave me. I found the document on the Word of Wisdom to be full of ellipses. Ellipses are fine if they don't change the meaning of the sentence but are not okay if they do.

“A Word of Wisdom, for the benefit of the . . . church,
and also the saints in Zion . . . "

The first ellipse doesn't really change much. But the second one is where they leave out this little gem --
"To be sent greeting; not by commandment or constraint, but by revelation and the word of wisdom, showing forth the order and will of God in the temporal salvation of all saints in the last days—"

So they're intentionally avoiding the part about it not being a commandment. Nice. They completely reversed the context and people will be none the wiser unless they pulled out D&C and reviewed the source material themselves.

“Given for a principle with promise, adapted to the
capacity of the weak and the weakest of all saints. . . .

What they left out:
"who are or can be called saints." Seems like fluff to me. Apparently God is a windbag. I'd leave it out too. Next.

“Behold, verily, thus saith the Lord unto you: In consequence
of evils and designs which do and will exist in the
hearts of conspiring men in the last days, I . . . forewarn
you, by giving unto you this word of wisdom by
revelation—"

What they left out:
"have warned you, and". More windbagery. Next.

“That inasmuch as any man drinketh wine or strong
drink among you, behold it is not good. . . ."

What they left out:
", neither meet in the sight of your Father, only in assembling yourselves together to offer up your sacraments before him.

6 And, behold, this should be wine, yea, pure wine of the grape of the vine, of your own make.

7 And, again, strong drinks are not for the belly, but for the washing of your bodies."

So they removed the condoning of using self made wine for sacraments and apparently for bathing. That omission certainly changed the original meaning.

“And again, tobacco is not for the body, neither for the
belly, and is not good for man. . . . "

What they left out:
", but is an herb for bruises and all sick cattle, to be used with judgment and skill."
Any bets on whether the LDS Church's Deseret Ranches proscribes giving tobacco to their cattle? Any scientific evidence that tobacco leaves heal bruises faster than not using them? In any case the ellipse changes the meaning of the "revelation."

“. . . All wholesome herbs God hath ordained for the
constitution, nature, and use of man. . . . "

What they left out:
"10 And again, verily I say unto you, all ". More of god being a blowhard, or perhaps the 19th century author trying to come up with something to say and that was merely filler material. Next.

“Yea, flesh also of beasts and of the fowls of the air, I, the
Lord, have ordained for the use of man with thanksgiving;
nevertheless they are to be used sparingly. . . .

What they left out:
";

13 And it is pleasing unto me that they should not be used, only in times of winter, or of cold, or famine.

14 All grain is ordained for the use of man and of beasts, to be the staff of life, not only for man but for the beasts of the field, and the fowls of heaven, and all wild animals that run or creep on the earth;

15 And these hath God made for the use of man only in times of famine and excess of hunger."

So they changed the meaning by removing the condition to eat animals only in times of famine and excess hunger.

“All grain is good for the food of man; as also the fruit of
the vine; that which yieldeth fruit, whether in the ground
or above the ground. . . ."

What they left out:
"17 Nevertheless, wheat for man, and corn for the ox, and oats for the horse, and rye for the fowls and for swine, and for all beasts of the field, and barley for all useful animals, and for mild drinks, as also other grain."

So they intentionally omitted god's intended use of various grains, including creating mild drinks made of barley == beer.

“And all saints who remember to keep and do these sayings
. . . shall receive health in their navel and marrow to
their bones;"

What they left out:
", walking in obedience to the commandments, ". Unless I missed something it sounds like more unneeded fluff.

Posted by: luckylucas ( )
Date: October 01, 2017 01:01PM

Poor Kids they couldn't even explain something simple like the explanation of the actual interpretation of the Wow.

"In 1921, the Lord inspired President Heber J. Grant to call on all Saints to live the Word of Wisdom to the letter by completely abstaining from all alcohol, coffee, tea, and tobacco. Today Church members are expected to live this higher standard."

https://history.lds.org/article/doctrine-and-covenants-word-of-wisdom?lang=eng

Posted by: Oregon ( )
Date: October 01, 2017 06:07PM

The following appeared in an interview with David Whitmer which was published in the Des Moines Daily News: "...quite a little party of the brethren and sisters being assembled in Smith's house. Some of the men were excessive chewers of the filthy weed, and their disgusting slobbering and spitting caused Mrs. Smith (who, Mr. Whitmer insists, was a lady of predisposed refinement) to make the ironical remark that 'It would be a good thing if a revelation could be had declaring the use of tobacco a sin, and commanding its suppression.' The matter was taken up and joked about, one of the brethren suggesting that the revelation should also provide for a total abstinence from tea and coffee drinking, intending this as a counter 'dig' at the sisters. Sure enough the subject was afterward taken up in dead earnest, and the 'Word of Wisdom' was the result."
The Des Moines Daily News, Saturday, October 16, 1886

Posted by: Michael Stafford ( )
Date: October 01, 2017 08:28PM

I've tried talking to the mormon.org missionaries, but then I realized that I know more about their church than they do.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.