Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Atari ( )
Date: October 02, 2017 10:52AM

In response to that prick Oak's talk, I happen to think you are damn awesome just the way you are!

I am gay and remember how depressed I would get when derogatory statements were made at General Conference. Initially, I would get depressed because I thought there was something wrong with me. Later, when I came to accept myself, I would get depressed because I knew my family believed their derogatory words.

The reality is the church leaders are bigoted assholes. You, on the other hand, are perfect. And all you amazing straight people that are supportive of your LGBT+ friends and family, I think you are equally as perfect. Thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 02, 2017 11:03AM

Atari -- hugs :)
I think you're pretty damn awesome.

Date: October 02, 2017 11:40AM

ificouldhietokolob Thank you!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 02, 2017 11:04AM

TSCC must create enemies.

Date: October 02, 2017 11:46AM

And they do!

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 02, 2017 11:24AM

I think it's fair to say that those asshole apostles make everybody feel unhappy and uncomfortable. They work up the guilt and shame for failing to do the impossible after tackling the difficult. I can't recall in my 30 years as a member a single talk at GC that was ever grateful, comforting or even inclusive. It's always been "You're not doing enough. We must do better. The Lord expects... We can't rest now... Blah, blah, blah."

Date: October 02, 2017 11:46AM

That is very true. A cult survives by spreading fear; fear of not doing enough, fear of the outside world.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 02, 2017 11:26AM

" . . . I would get depressed because I knew my family believed their derogatory words."

That's my family. They say they love me. They say they love partner of many decades even, but then they gathered around the TV yesterday at my mother the Matriarch's house and all listened in awe to the "marvelously inspired words" of Oaks and his ilk. They can't raise their hand to the square in support fast enough.

It does not feel good. Not that I believe in Jesus, but this is the "lukewarm" that he was credited with wanting to spit out. Much of the time I would rather be rejected outright believe it or not. At least there is some honesty there.

When I was a kid, the Gerontocracy didn't attack the gays openly like they do now from the pulpit. I worry so about all those gay Mormon kids now facing that hate machine that they are not prepared to do battle with.

For us it was more covert, like with the electroshock therapy at BYU. (Read Free Electricity by Rhodes if you want to know what it was like in the olden days.)

Like Atari says, You are all wonderful. There is nothing wrong with you. And if it turns out to be true what the Bible says--that the first shall be last and the last shall be first---then Oaks is going to be kissing a lot of gay ass.

To the gay kids--keep finding your way. Stay strong. It does get better, like, for sure. And you do deserve to have a loving partner in your life just like everyone else.

Date: October 02, 2017 11:45AM

Beautifully said Done & Done! I can relate. I have been with my partner for nearly 20 years. My family has come a long way but can you really love someone and give money to an organization that demeans them? I don't think you can.

In any case, I am happy you have found love. I also fear for the younger gay Mormons which I why I wrote this post. I am old enough to know a bigot when I see one but they may not have that ability yet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2017 11:52AM by Atari.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 02, 2017 11:54AM

I'm glad you are here Atari. Such a nice post. You never know how many gay Mormon kids may be lurking here.

Posted by: GQ Cannonball ( )
Date: October 02, 2017 12:42PM

I too love my LGBT+ friends and family just as they are! Screw the hate mongers and degenerates from the LDS tower! Screw Oaks!!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 02, 2017 01:50PM

when I found out my boyfriend/husband was gay is how could a loving God make someone gay and not give them a way out? Not quite what I'm trying to say. The bishop told me that if he didn't CHANGE to straight, that he was damned.

I knew deep down that he was gay and not just acting out on something or same-sex attracted. And the leaders were telling me otherwise. My whole view of God changed. Don't know what I believe at this point.

Finally figuring out (with the help of this board) that my ex is GREAT just as he is, that I would not want him to change as then he disappears and becomes someone, something else.

THEY CANNOT COMPREHEND, because they think with their dicks, that other men don't find women attractive, don't want to have sex with them. The people who have the problem are the leaders and those who still support the religion, especially those who have children who are gay. These kids need their parents to reject mormonism's teachings more than anyone.

The lds church not only doesn't have any answers for this issue, they have the wrong answers. I have no tolerance for those who are still mormon and then say they love their gay children, family members.

Date: October 02, 2017 03:39PM

CL2. I have always appreciated your posts and your honesty. Your posts remind people that it is not just gay people that are negatively impacted by the church, it is the spouses and families too.

You also raised a very important point. Being gay is not just being attracted to the same sex, it also means NOT being attracted to the opposite sex. If I had any attraction to the opposite sex I am sure I would be married to a woman and have 6 kids. But I am 100% gay. Telling me to marry and have sex with a woman is like telling a 100% straight man to marry and have sex with a man.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 02, 2017 03:45PM

I cannot tell you what a relief it was to finally figure it out as they messed with my head SO MUCH and I struggled for years to understand.

It was as if the sun came back into my life once I KNEW they were wrong.

Date: October 03, 2017 08:18AM

I remember that moment for me too. What a relief it was.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: October 02, 2017 02:28PM

As I’ve said on other posts, to me, Dallin Oaks is the most evil and conniving of all the GAs. Although his talk was disgusting, I hope he keeps repeating it. That’s right, let’s make sure average Mormons and investigators fully recognize the hate and scapegoating done by the church. Talks like this cause more cognitive dissonance for average Mormons who love gay friends and relatives.

For all LGBT+ PEOPLE—happiness, good fortune, friendship, and long lives be yours! You have my total love and support for who you are. The Boner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2017 02:29PM by BYU Boner.

Date: October 02, 2017 03:42PM

The church is shooting themselves in the foot for sure. As painful as Proposition 8 was, it showed the true character of church leaders to members and non-members alike. I had seen it years earlier and I was so happy they finally faced backlash.

Posted by: cutekitty ( )
Date: October 02, 2017 07:51PM

BYU Boner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As I’ve said on other posts, to me, Dallin Oaks
> is the most evil and conniving of all the GAs.
> Although his talk was disgusting, I hope he keeps
> repeating it. That’s right, let’s make sure
> average Mormons and investigators fully recognize
> the hate and scapegoating done by the church.
> Talks like this cause more cognitive dissonance
> for average Mormons who love gay friends and
> relatives.
>
> For all LGBT+ PEOPLE—happiness, good fortune,
> friendship, and long lives be yours! You have my
> total love and support for who you are. The Boner.

I will toast to that, Mr. Boner. Well said.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: October 02, 2017 04:18PM

The day I got a text from my daughter's friend warning me of her suicidal feelings will forever be burned into my memory.

That day I got into my car and drove to her school to pull her out and have a talk. I was determined to tell her that I knew, I just didn't know how to do it. We sat in my car in a church parking lot, ironically, and talked till I felt that I wouldn't be crossing the line. I'm so glad that it worked out. I'm so relieved that she didn't retreat into herself but came out instead. Her courage that day, even it it was to her appostate dad, saved her life.

A few years later and I read the things that Dallin Oaks said, and I can't help but remember something she said to me on the day she saved her life. She told me that she was comfortable with who she was, she just wasn't comfortable with the person everyone else wanted her to be.

Dallin Oaks is the worst kind of person, his smug ignorance is just as harmful as any physical weapon. Dallin Oaks speaks with so little regard to the real damage that he is causing that I wonder if he is really human.

I literally hate that man.

Date: October 03, 2017 08:21AM

jacob,

You are a good dad. I remember feeling suicidal too. It is a very common feeling among gay youth unfortunately. I wish one of my parents would have helped me come out and shown some acceptance. It would have saved me a lot of heartache. She is lucky to have you. I am so very happy she is ok!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2017 08:22AM by Atari.

Posted by: H8H8 ( )
Date: October 02, 2017 06:13PM

I also want to post a tribute to all LGBT pioneers, past and present- people of courage and integrity. I know there's a long way to go, but LOVE will triumph over HATE.

A het friend.

Posted by: jkdd259 ( )
Date: October 02, 2017 06:24PM

I'm grateful to know that there are several people like me out in this world.

How can I be a son of the Living God and have him hate me, for who I am?

Am I wrong?

Posted by: luckylucas ( )
Date: October 02, 2017 06:43PM

jkdd259 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm grateful to know that there are several people
> like me out in this world.
>
> How can I be a son of the Living God and have him
> hate me, for who I am?
>
> Am I wrong?

No, and If you are christian is not only for who you are, is for the way god created you too.

Date: October 03, 2017 08:25AM

"How can I be a son of the Living God and have him hate me, for who I am?"

The only people that hate us are the assholes claiming to speak for God.

The best book I ever read was "Age of Reason" by Thomas Paine (yes, one of the founding fathers). He tears apart the entire concept of prophets and religion.

Posted by: cutekitty ( )
Date: October 02, 2017 07:47PM

This could be the start of shutting down the morg.

No more gay mormons. Find another kind of church to go to if that is your path with Jesus? The LDS church is FAKE. Nothing to cling on to, it is bogus.

Why would anyone, straight or gay, go to a church who hates them, to their face? The church is evil. It treats its members poorly and expects a generous fast offering all the time. This crazy machine has got to be stopped for the mental damage it does.

Maybe the Psychiatric association could help me somehow, showing what mental, psychic, and physical damage TSCC does?
How it destroys lives.....

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: October 02, 2017 07:48PM

Atari I,m so glad you are here spreading love.

Thank you.

Date: October 03, 2017 09:24AM

Thank you Saucie. You have always spread the love.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: October 02, 2017 07:52PM

((((Atari))))

Posted by: luckylucas ( )
Date: October 02, 2017 08:24PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.