Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: freeasabird ( )
Date: May 27, 2011 03:44AM

Opinions...
My friends Jr. High age daughter got "dress coded" for wearing a Breast Cancer Awareness t-shirt to school.

and discuss....

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: May 27, 2011 07:05AM

Why? Because of the word "breast"?

Date: May 27, 2011 04:17PM

Yes, they actually said it was "vulgar"

Posted by: GayLayAle ( )
Date: May 27, 2011 04:19PM

I really wish you were kidding but I know you aren't. Face-fucking-plant.

Date: June 01, 2011 12:26AM

I wish I were kidding too!

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: May 27, 2011 04:22PM

Maybe she should replace it with an "I'm with stupid" shirt.

Posted by: LochNessie ( )
Date: May 27, 2011 04:40PM

Was it a "save the boobies one?" I know a lot of schools consider those offensive because of the word boobie and not just in Utah.

They are allowed at the high school I teach at, but at our feeder middle school the kids are dresscoded for it. This is not in Utah. A lot of the rules are stupid, but parents will also complain and want to have you fired at the stupiest little thing. Better to not allow the shirts then to have an very religious parent go to the school board meeting and say their child was subjected to vulgar shirts.

Things like this happen a lot. I have irate religious parents email my principal every year because I talk about sperm meeting egg, I show pictures of embyos, I teach evolution for christ sakes. Parents, yes more than one, have threatened me for teaching their kid evolution. Note I am a biology teacher in high school. These are things that are discussed, but parents complain.

So they are just covering their own ass. They can't have kids walking around in shirts some might consider vulgar and tell their parents, it's not worth it. Yes, I believe most middle schools would send a kid home for that as stupid as it may sound. At our feeder middle school it didn't matter that a student was showing support for his mom that had breast cancer, he was told it was the wording was considered offensive not the message.

Date: June 01, 2011 12:25AM

Not save the boobies or ta ta's.

I just think it is rediculous. And the poor boy at your school trying to support his mom, how dare they question him.

Thanks for your replies everyone. This really irked my friend and it kinda pissed me off too, so I was just curious what everyones take was on the matter :)

Posted by: maeve ( )
Date: May 27, 2011 07:36PM

When my daughter was in high school in Utah a few years ago, she got dresscoded for wearing a sleeveless dress. Her shoulders were covered, no cleavage was showing, but the top of her arms were exposed.
Many of the girls showed up to school wearing pajama pants, ratty t-shirts and house slippers.
The school administrators would rather have the students showing up like they just rolled out of bed then dressed up nicely in a dress.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: May 27, 2011 07:47PM

Sick, evil and twisted. They do not deserve to be in employment.

Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: June 01, 2011 11:09AM

I turned around just in time to hear the principal "code" an 8th girl at our local school for wearing a T-shirt that said "Itty Bitty Titty Comittee" and I was in total agreement--where were her parents that morning while getting ready for school!?

Date: June 01, 2011 12:05PM

Well I have to agree with you Thread Killer. No one needs a committee to tell them they have small breasts. But seriously "Breast Cancer Awareness" is in no way offensive.

Posted by: nomomomo ( )
Date: June 01, 2011 12:05PM

Gosh, I used to be on that comittee, then I got fat!

Posted by: nomomomo ( )
Date: June 01, 2011 12:06PM

My sons friend in Riverton utah wears a "I love boobies" pink bracelet al the time. Guess it isn't as obvious as the shirt.

Date: June 01, 2011 12:14PM

Hey I could only WISH to be on that committee lol! Big uns ain't all that comfortable heehee :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.