Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: October 15, 2017 01:39AM

Before we figured out the con, didn't we think that we were doing something special for God? Building the Kingdom? Helping that Stone without hands roll forth to fill the whole Earth?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: October 15, 2017 01:49AM

I can't say that I ever defended the gawd almighty church online. About the time that Al Gore invented the internet was about the time I stopped believing. However, before that time, I could be quite huffy when someone trampled MY church.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 15, 2017 09:17PM

Tell us more about Al Gore inventing the internet.

Date: October 15, 2017 02:03AM

I remember boldly proclaiming that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God. A few months later, I researched and found out the truth. I couldn't track all of the sites I had defended the church on, but I did re-find one YouTube video site (Lyn Wilder's Unveiling Grace) where I had preached Joseph's Holy Prophethood, to announce that I had changed my mind.

Posted by: luckylucas ( )
Date: October 15, 2017 07:12AM

One photo of my baptism and one photo outside the temple, both on Facebook, were the only mormon things that I made online.
All the "share all your blessings and all kind of mormon articles" were considered BS IMO.
And I guess I didn't do that because I felt ashamed of the comments that TBM's made on Facebook such as the use of the words eternal or for the eternity in marriage's photos or the use of expressions such as how edifying/inspired/inspiring... I didn't understand why every TBM made that kind of comments at that time, I guess I wasn't brainwashed enough to do the same thing.
But I was brainwashed enough to do proselytism twice a week LOL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2017 07:13AM by luckylucas.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: October 15, 2017 07:25AM

I used to comment on Mormon blogs, and not as a troll. I was totally into the Church.

Posted by: Mårv Fråndsen ( )
Date: October 15, 2017 09:25AM

Though "online" had a different flavor in the 1980's at the University of Illinois.

The university system had online forum groups similar to this one for many topics including religion. This first time ever technical experiment was a heady experience. It was quite a clash of religious ideas. I went to the mat for the One True Church in many very extensive and in depth debates.

I learned a lot. Including how much time you can waste on line.

Date: October 15, 2017 04:52PM

That's interesting! Most of us didn't have access until the mid-to-late nineties.

Posted by: grudunza ( )
Date: October 15, 2017 10:07AM

I was an amateur apologist online here and there. And in some of those cases, I think it was justified. For example, whenever certain types of mainstream Christians would bash Mormonism, pulling out Bible quotes like how there should be no more prophecy than in “this book” (Revelation), it was easy to counter that stuff. And important to counter that. Much as I now see Mormonism as a bullshit fraud, I also think any religion making bad arguments deserves criticism.

But yeah, I also said dumb stuff that was ignorant of actual information. Apologists are good at compartmentalizing individual issues and finding “answers” for them that at least allow for some possibility for belief to continue. That was often my method. But then, becoming willing to examine the bigger picture and the giant stack of issues whose “answers” could never harmonize... that’s where it all came crashing down.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2017 10:08AM by grudunza.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: October 15, 2017 10:19AM

Never, ever. But that's probably because I left TSCC at the very beginning of when you could get online and look at stuff.

No Google, no Netflix, no AOL etc.

I can't imagine that I would have wanted to do that even had all the sources been available.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 16, 2017 09:53AM

Yeah, not me.
I got out before the internet was even a twinkle in Al Gore's eye.

I sadly eagerly defended it in person before that...but fortunately my reach wasn't worldwide, and my arguments were the same lame ones the mishies make on-line today (pray about it, no matter what the evidence, just have faith, feelings trump facts). They're not very effective no matter what the transmission medium :)

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: October 16, 2017 10:29AM

Leaving Mormonism prompted me to dip my toe and then go headfirst into the internet. I'd gobbled up all the accurate Mormon history books in the library. I was in my husband's office with some time to kill and I typed in exMormon. Still here.

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: October 16, 2017 10:48AM

I used to defend the church online in various forums. Mostly non-religious forums ironically.

I found I could debate all day with religious folks of all kinds of flavour about who was right. It was those with no religious affiliation that put the biggest dents in my faith in the One True Church. They would counter my positions with cold hard facts and logic

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.