Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 02:23AM

... and, you guessed it, Mormons are among them ;-)

https://phys.org/news/2017-10-faiths-religion-science.html

"While 16 percent of all survey respondents said they would be somewhat or very likely to consult a religious leader for answers to their science questions, this number jumps to 29 percent when just looking at evangelical Protestants or black Protestants and 25 percent when looking at Mormons. Similarly, 31 percent of evangelical Protestants, 30 percent of black Protestants and 31 percent of Mormons said they would be somewhat or very likely to consult a religious text for answers to scientific questions, compared with 18 percent of overall respondents. When asked whether they would be somewhat or very likely to consult people at their congregation about such questions, 27 percent of evangelicals, 26 percent of black Protestants and 31 percent of Mormons said yes, compared with 16 percent of overall surveyed respondents."

Wishing you all a great day!

Tom in Paris

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Plaid n Paisley ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 02:48AM

There are people in my Episcopal congregation I'd feel free to approach with scientific questions. Of course, they have advanced degrees in fields such as geology, anthropology, chemistry, etc. :-)

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 03:08AM

Tl;dr: You can't fix stupid.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 03:59AM

It doesn't surprise me that Mormons favor religion over science so much. I grew up with a father who believed in skin curses but not dinosaurs, despite evidence to the contrary. He really hurt my development as a thinking person.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 10:22AM

My father is a thesis short of a PhD in physics. What is his favorite "science" book? The Book of Moses.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 09:04AM

Well, sure -- because mormon leaders have such a great track record on science over the years!
You know, Quaker-men on the moon, we'll never get off the earth, the earth is 6,000 years old, etc. Clearly they're experts!

Sois sage, Tom :)

Date: October 17, 2017 09:56AM

ificouldhietokolob Wrote:

> Sois sage, Tom :)

Impossible!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 10:15AM

Like I was going to go to my bishop for science questions although his son-in-law was my junior high science teacher whom I liked and respected.

Posted by: Tom Padley ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 10:28AM

I'm just the opposite. I look to science for answers religion and faith cannot give me.

Date: October 17, 2017 12:53PM

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 10:29AM

What an interesting although not surprising statistic. Mormons scored the highest. Yay! Never rely on the learnings of men, brothers and sisters.

When I had a question about anything scientific I was told "Heavenly Father doesn't want us to delve in the mysteries," or, "All will be explained in the hereafter." I did learn that the earth will be turned into a glass ball in the millennium so I guess the Mormons are way ahead of scientists on that one!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.