Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 04:31PM

To get his money back once he found out it was a fraud, how did that play out? I did not follow it to the end. I think he was a bishop or stake president. Not sure why this popped in my head but i am curious because i am wondering if some lawyer would take a trauma case caused by the church and it was validated and confirmed by the professionals i have seen and still see. There has to be something i can do here to help me out right now for financial restitution. My counselor agreed that none of this was my fault not sure if that holds weight. People that are alive still, know of my physical abuse by a church leader when i was 14 but those witnesses were my parents that abused me as well so they may not help. I don't know i am grabbing at straws these days.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Hansel ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 04:33PM

Can I get my money back for the bad chinese takeout i had last night?

Date: October 17, 2017 04:42PM

Probably not because the chinese might be worse then the mormons.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 04:50PM

Don't waste your energy.

Because of freedom of religion in our Constitution, even cults are allowed to profit in the USA.

It's up to us to make the break when we figure out we were conned.

No one else can do that for you but yourself.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 05:14PM

If you're talking about Tom Phillips, he didn't sue to get his money back. He essentially sued them for knowingly perpetuating a fraud.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 05:20PM

The Tom Phillips case was thrown out of court.

If you get the word around that you want to sue the church leader who abused you at 14, he or his lawyer might offer you a settlement out of court. But if he is the violent type, he might possibly threaten you instead. Perhaps you can talk to your counselor about what to do.

Date: October 17, 2017 07:43PM

I did talk to my counselor about it and she said there is probably a statutes of limitations on it but i would bet my life the guy lives in the same home. I would like to press charges if i could now that i am older and i understand things a little better from an older perspective that he definitely was the one in the wrong even if he was a stupid cult leader. F#ck all those leaders, vipers in suits.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.