Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 12:27PM

Continuing this thead:
http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2033049

I think it's pretty "normal" in the internet culture to use an ID online. The trick is to come up with something unique and clever as your online handle. But there are plenty of reasons to maintain anonymity.

imaworkinonit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> People have been outed by Mormons coming
> to the board and figuring out who they were, even
> when they were using a pseudoname, and they made
> trouble for them in real life.

When I first started posting, I was usually trying to figure out some sort of antics my TBM relatives and/or acquaintances were engaging in. I not only didn't use my real name, but I'd frequently obfuscate insignificant details, specifically to keep people from figuring out who I am, but also to protect the relatives' IDs too. In retrospect, they don't deserve that kind of respect, but I still want to protect my own identity (at a minimum). As I've posted many times, my family is toxic, and some of the details would have made it readily clear to some people who we all are (if they ever encountered the posts).

imaworkinonit Wrote:
> When I make a post with too much identifying
> information, or highly personal information, I
> actually pick a DIFFERENT pseudo-name than
> imaworkinonit.

Me too. It's funny that after a while we sort of want to "protect" our online alter-ego too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2017 12:29PM by nomonomo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 03:58PM

Yep. I've met many people in real life at events (hikes and coffee meetups) that I advertised on the board. It's not like 'imaworkinonit' is really that anonymous.

Yeah, and about those identifying things you might say . . . there are certain things I could say about my parents or family that a family member would instantly recognize. It would be like posting my real name to say them. Sure, nobody implicated in the post would probably ever SEE the post, but google does bring up search results from posts on this site. There have been times when I thought I said too much.

I think it's always better to err on the side of caution. Because once something is on the internet, it will be there forever.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 04:15PM

Once you leave your name, your address and phone number can be found very easily. For me, my name is Moe and I have two brothers, Jerome and Samuel.

Posted by: infinitelyme ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 07:44PM

My perspective: I am never been Mormon, but given where I live and work, where my kids go to school, I did not want to be identifyable. If I had used the same handle I've usef for over 20 years, a quick google search rats me out. Instead, I've used this handle in only one other place, a support group for victims of psychopathy.

I think that speaks for itself.

And I'm only an indirect recipient of the negative effects of Mormonism.

I'm biting my tongue and biding my time until I can move next year.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 07:59PM

WYSIWYG, honest...

I'll be around early Saturday of the Conference, and will possibly stop in Thursday, so...

If not, drop me a line at SL_Cabbie@yahoo.com, and included the names of three references... Okay, I might be kidding on that one...

And if anyone wants to spread the story I'm not really a cabbbie but actually a "composite" created by a group of U of U PhD's, feel free...

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 08:09PM

Help yourself.

However, it can help to keep one from being identified, which can be a good thing for those who believe this may cause them to be excommunicated (due to what they have to say, and their criticisms re. the church).

In my case, I have already fought this battle, and I don't relish doing it again.

Posted by: Recovered Molly Mo ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 10:16PM

Because I don't need to or want to.

Nuff said.

RMM

Posted by: luckylucas ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 10:37PM

Because it wasn't mandatory, BTW my name is Lucas Troncoso

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 10:45PM

¡El Troncoso con los trancasos!

Date: October 19, 2017 12:08AM

It has occurred to me that anyone who knew me in the old Las Vegas 2nd ward would figure out who I am, as there was only one 'Lamanite' in the ward who went on a mission to Mexico back in the 60s. And if a church sleuth wanted to know my name, it would be easy-peasy to do so. I've also mentioned being the EQP of a civilian ward while at the Y, the compromise candidate...

So here's my real name: Fritjof Håkansson.

You're welcome.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: October 20, 2017 10:58PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> It has occurred to me that anyone who knew me in
> the old Las Vegas 2nd ward would figure out who I
> am, as there was only one 'Lamanite' in the ward
> who went on a mission to Mexico back in the 60s.
> And if a church sleuth wanted to know my name, it
> would be easy-peasy to do so. I've also mentioned
> being the EQP of a civilian ward while at the Y,
> the compromise candidate...
>
> So here's my real name: Fritjof Håkansson.
>
> You're welcome.

Goddamnit Fritjof... I told you not to tell !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: October 21, 2017 12:28AM

Saucie Håkansson just isn't how I envisioned you, Saucie!

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 21, 2017 01:23AM

I guess it's just privacy issues for me.

I'm long rid of the church, and they know better than to bug me. I just don't want my REAL name out there.

Elderolddog and La Saucie are my favorite comedy/romance duo para siempre!

Just for the record, EOD, I did time in Mexico too - Guadalajara - only as an exchange student, not a mish. My Spanish-speaking DH can always tell when I've had enough alcohol; my Jaliscan accent comes twanging through. (He learned most of his Spanish in Guatemala, so he did not recognize Jaliscan Spanish when he first heard it.)

Date: October 21, 2017 01:46AM

Si quieres ver una foto de mi tiempo en Guadalajara, mándame un correo electrónico. Fue en 1966...

Date: October 21, 2017 11:52AM

kathleen Wrote:
> Saucie Håkansson just isn't how I envisioned you,
> Saucie!

You were right !!!!!! Thats not my name Kathleen. ;)

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 21, 2017 10:56AM

Saucie! I should have guessed that was your real name! Hahahaha

OK, mine is..... Buford T Snivelbottom (I won't reveal what the T stands for because my mother never told me.) I usually go by the initials BS.

Date: October 21, 2017 12:23PM

dagny Wrote:
> Saucie! I should have guessed that was your real
> name! Hahahaha
>
>
> OK, mine is..... Buford T Snivelbottom (I won't
> reveal what the T stands for because my mother
> never told me.) I usually go by the initials BS.

Awwwww you're one of the Snivelbottoms !!!! I should have known. ;)

Posted by: uhhsoyeah ( )
Date: October 20, 2017 03:02AM

My real name is Rachel Weideman. :)

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 20, 2017 03:06AM

I can't think of any reason not to.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: October 20, 2017 03:37AM

I don't use my real name because I doubt people care what it is.

Posted by: Bruce A Holt ( )
Date: October 20, 2017 10:37PM

There once was a man nicknamed Moose
Who put his neck in a digital noose.
He changed that nickname
Some thought for some fame.
There was none, he felt such a goose!

I have never had any issues since changing to my real name.

But yes, I do have ID theft protection, just in case.

Posted by: siobhan ( )
Date: October 21, 2017 12:55AM

I wanted the family of the Mormon predator who beat me half to death to know in case they lurked here that I don't give a crap what they think about me and that I have nothing to hide.
Unfortunately he and his several RfM handles are still stalking me here so I feel like I should change mine but have enough invested I'd hate to have to do that at this late date.
I hear his family has shipped him back out West so at least he can't get to me. I hope for everyone's sake he doesn't make it to the conference to shop for new victims.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: October 21, 2017 03:37AM

People may hit on you, 'hate on you', shat on you and try to put a hat (which you don't wear or doesn't fit) on you. They might clock you (for going too fast or too slow), sock you (emotionally, verbally or laundry), or block you, or even [try to] stock you (like a number or item to be saved for later, if remembered at all).

Some people (try to or might need to) hide behind their [real or phoney] name/ image/ icon, have no [good] name, or never make much of one for themselves (or believe they can), or suck their next-to-last half-hearted breath, all while being tied up, energetically and emotionally, trying to criticize, hurt, smudge or smear others', like a line of fresh ink.

Some have too much to loose - or nothing to gain - by using a given name, an alias, or their 'fool name'. It's a MATTer of preference.

M@t™
moremany (on RFM) [since 2012]

A 'formon'
Artist, Reverend, inventor, writer ("righter" vs. "lefter"), painter, decorator, sculptor, chandler, organizer, designer, shelver, weaver, craftsman, fixer, "dandyman" historian, restorationist, recreation-Alist, healer, magician, storyteller, listener, laugher, [lds and life] truth-teller... Creative. Thinker!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2017 04:49AM by moremany.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.