Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: alaskawild ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 08:30PM

I had been worried about revealing to my mom that i have left the church. Imagine that, a grown man in his early 40s worrying about that kind of thing. Only in Mormondom,right?

Actually, she was pretty cool about the whole thing. I didn't want to overwhelm her and vomit voluminous facts all over the place. But i told her about the multiple wives Joe had, young ones, women married to living men etc. She seemed shocked and surprised with that info. We talked about the stone in the hat, Joe's gold digging endeavors and on to the multiple versions of the first vision. She didn't know about any of this of course. She is just a loyal, faithful, BIC Mormon who never really cared about digging into history or researching the early church. Isn't it interesting how there is real history and "church" history. One is organic and one is manufactured.

Anyway, it was good to get it out in the open and nice that she didn't blow a fuse and disown me. Ultimately she said that she will always love me and that it is not her place to judge me or others. She just wants me to live the best life I can. And i agree with her and will do just that.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 08:35PM

I was worried to say it in my thirties. I definitely think i am disowned by the family right about now. Once you tell one of them they are in a cult they all know shortly after. I have wanted to say it for a long time my life was ruined by all of it.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 08:58PM

So nice to hear that it went well. It often doesn't for so many, but there are still quite a few Mormon parents who care enough about their children to put love and support first like your mother.

Big relief, right? It should not be a thing, but it is in Mormondom as you say.

My parents were loving and supportive so long as I kept it all to myself and "didn't try to contaminate anyone else." There are definitely degrees of acceptance with Mormons.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 09:03PM

alaskawild Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ultimately she said that she will always love me
> and that it is not her place to judge me or
> others. She just wants me to live the best life I
> can. And i agree with her and will do just that.

You have a winner of a mom.

When I told mine (almost 37 years ago), she didn't react nearly so well. It took her a good 3-5 years to finally get to where your mom is right away. :)

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 10:21PM

When I told my Catholic convert mother I didn't believe in god, she shrugged her shoulders and said "well, I offered it to you."

I was shocked.

Congratulations.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.