Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: omergod ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 11:26PM

I did not enjoy hiking near Camp Williams and killing rabbits.
My ward (YM,scouting program)went out shooting rabbits for sport.
The "Yee haw" shouted by the leader was uber creepy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 11:41PM

Yeah, weird stuff...

Apparently ghawd has it in for rabbits and uses the tools available, including mormon boy scouts.

Posted by: AnonFromArkansas ( )
Date: October 21, 2017 10:34AM

Nothing wrong with a few young men learning how to shoot. And it isn't like rabbits are in danger of going extinct or anything.

Date: October 21, 2017 11:44AM

Isn't that why the Lord revealed first person shooter video games?

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: October 21, 2017 07:18PM

It would be more sporting if the rabbits could shoot back.

Date: October 19, 2017 12:52AM

The screech of a wounded rabbit.
Horrible.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 19, 2017 03:32AM

They do that when they think they are going to die. I've heard it five or six times, including a couple of times when house dogs chased a rabbit down with no intention of killing it.

It is indeed a horrible and unforgettable sound.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: October 19, 2017 12:59AM

Hunting when one genuinely needs the meat for subsistence is one thing, but I will never get the idea of killing for sport.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 19, 2017 05:29AM

I agree with you about that.

Date: October 19, 2017 01:04AM

Like Elmer Fudd in "What's Opera, Doc". "I'm going to kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit ..."

Date: October 19, 2017 01:13AM

I really don't know about the ? jackrabbit population in the valley.

If there are too many, you need to keep them under control.

Making a game out of killing, is not good.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 19, 2017 01:47AM

I saw a Mormon guy in Utah shoot a rabbit. He wanted to shoot a coyote, but there were none around. (I imagine Mormons had killed them off). Frustrated, the Mormon guy threw the rabbit's carcass overhead and shot it midair.

Posted by: Jesse (not logged in) ( )
Date: October 19, 2017 06:57AM

There was no activity planned one Wednesday when I showed up for mutual as a deacon...the adult leader thought for a minute or two and then ordered us all to his massive Mormon van. Drove back to the trailer his family lived in. They raised rabbits. He had thought up a great activity for the evening. Each boy was meant to club a rabbit over the head and then skin it. Some of the boys cried. There weren't a lot of clean kills. There were some unhappy parents afterwards.

Posted by: Dennis Moore nli ( )
Date: October 20, 2017 09:48AM

What the f*ck. Terrible, just terrible. My DH has PTSD from growing up in a psycho nut TBM family. One of the worse experiences-going "hunting" with his jack ass father who shot birds, bunnies, and anything moving.

The horror of it all.

-Fuck no, Dennis

Posted by: Jesse ( )
Date: October 22, 2017 04:28PM

Luckily my family was normal enough. I think we had a shotgun that my father had inherited from his father. Don't remember there ever being any ammo for it. It was a disturbing incident but at least I wasn't forced to go on hunting trips like your DH was.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 19, 2017 09:14AM

Of course, that's what the founders had in mind when they wrote the second amendment -- that every mormon should have a god-given right to take little kids out with guns and have fun killing animals for no good reason.

Yee-haw.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 19, 2017 09:19AM

Warped.
Mormons aren't taught compassion or kindness; going to LDS meetings is more like a kind of pre-law class defending their prophets & church "doctrine" which travels like a a river starting high in the mountains, , over waterfalls, then through valleys out to the sea.

Date: October 19, 2017 09:24AM

You mean like raw sewage?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 19, 2017 01:37PM

exactly!

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: October 19, 2017 11:44AM

Date: October 19, 2017 01:21PM

We were told that jack rabbits were a scourge on the land that they were inedible due to tularemia, and we were doing the world a favor...

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: October 19, 2017 12:03PM

Last year the young single adults in a northern Cache Valley stake had a party where they dug ditches with dynamite, just for fun! No bullshit.

Nowadays shooting rabbits with a .22 is lame, You have to have an AR-15 or an SKS or you are not a real man. Extra points if you can even hit the rabbits.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: October 19, 2017 01:30PM

I have never understood the mormon obsession for killing animals, i thought i was a weirdo for not doing it.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: October 19, 2017 01:38PM

Wasn't there a Utah politician that made a fuss about rabbits getting stoned from eating pot plants grown for medical use?

So unfair, sneak up on the little rabbits while they're just trying to enjoy a buzz and shoot them.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 19, 2017 02:49PM

While there are plenty of a-holes who shoot things just "because", I think the mormon mindset quite often devalues the sanctity of life. Think about the many RfM posts where someone is puzzled at the apparent lack of emotion at mormon funerals; this life is constantly talked about as a stepping stone to eternity, and we shouldn't be sad.

Add to that the "priesthood" feeling of superiority and "dominion" over the earth and a you get a god complex.

I'm rambling (again) but I think a connection could be made.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: October 21, 2017 03:59AM

And according to a former seminary teacher, he and his friends would stuff the dead mutilated rabbits into peoples mailboxes.
Church Scouting project or something.

Date: October 21, 2017 02:19PM

The masturbating speech writer was there with his Elmer fudd

Date: October 21, 2017 02:27PM

The issue about killing rabbits for sport, was the start of something.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: October 21, 2017 02:37PM

I'm no great lover of rabbits as they can decimate a garden. However, I've heard of these mass rabbit shoots where the huge number of dead rabbits are just left to rot. Sounds sort of blood thirsty and wasteful. Couldn't the meat or hides be used to some good purpose?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.