Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: October 27, 2017 10:10PM

Two male missionaries spontaneously knocked at my door a few minutes ago (about 6:15pm). As I (a female) was the only one home at the time, they couldn't come in, so we stayed on my (covered) porch to chat for awhile. They were surprised I was a member (albeit not active). (I live in So. Calif, just outside L.A. in an incorporated town, but in L.A. county.)

They had come on bikes (parked up the block), and I sat in my porch rocking chair (very comfy), while we chatted.

The BoM one was carrying was covered with a colorful flower-like decoration.

I offered them a bottle of water (they said 'no thanks'); but they accepted an energy bar I had on hand, said a prayer in my behalf, and were on their way.

While they were on my porch, a (male) neighbor walked up his adjoining driveway, and (I'm sure), wondered who the two young men in black slacks and a white shirt were, with whom I was chatting.

Not a very exciting tale, but just letting you know the missionaries are still out doing their thing (one from Utah, and the other from Missouri, I think he said).

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: October 27, 2017 10:52PM

I'm wondering how they didn't know you were a member...the mishies who seek me out ALWAYS know my name and that I'm in their records.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 27, 2017 10:57PM

This may not be the answer, but mishies and the ward clerk don't usually spend much time together. Instead, there is often an 'area book', in which addresses, and the people living there, have things written up about them. This 'area book' stays in the mishie apartment as the mishies move in and out.

Next time they come by, just casually ask them what their 'area book' says about you.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 27, 2017 10:56PM

I hope you offered them a coffee crunch energy bar so they will be teaching without their beloved HG.

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: October 28, 2017 01:52AM

Nice that you treated them well.

Too many have a fear of them. Which is funny given how many of us were once them.

As they are, we once were. As we are, they may become.

Posted by: jkdd259 ( )
Date: October 28, 2017 02:17AM

I too wish to thank you for your hospitality towards the mishies.

I went to a part ot the world where no one cared for me as a missionary. In the 16 months that i was out, I never had a meal at a members house.

Some here suggest to be mean, or to scorn them. I prefer to kill them with kindness, and politely decline all advances of religion.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: October 29, 2017 04:12AM

One poster always says, regarding missionaries, "Do not make eye contact. Do not feed. Turn around, and walk away."

If I can discourage a pair of missionaries, by telling them "No solicitors," and closing the door on them, maybe they will quit, before they reach my next door neighbor's house, before they reach my grandchildren, down the street.

By not discouraging them, you are encouraging them.

You never had a meal at a members house. I never had a meal at a member's house in my neighborhood. Did you ever bring a meal to anyone? Missionaries think they are "owed" kindnesses, because they probably think they are doing good for others. The truth is, they are trying to harm families and extort money from people. They are after our children! Even though many "know not what they do," they still can do damage.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 29, 2017 04:44AM

If this helped you recover, that's a good thing. If not, that's too bad.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 30, 2017 11:51AM

pollythinks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...(one from Utah, and the other from Missouri,
> I think he said).

Was the Utah one resentful because he would have to walk a lot further than the Missouri one when the end comes?

;-)

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: October 30, 2017 12:00PM

@ ificouldhietokolob

Thanks for the humor on a Monday Morning.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: October 30, 2017 11:53AM

The missionaries showed up to our place on the 4th of July while my TBM parents were there. Ugh...awkward!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.