Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tolstoy ( )
Date: October 28, 2017 01:54PM

Apostles, 70s, even Relief Society general presidents, they all write books for sale at Deseret of Bookcraft or wherever.

Seems wrong somehow, like preying on a built-in audience.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 28, 2017 02:12PM

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 28, 2017 02:29PM

Mormon Kitsch;

the more your LDS guests/visitors see in your home, the Better Off U are/ will be!

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: October 28, 2017 02:45PM

Posted by: Aloysius ( )
Date: October 28, 2017 02:55PM

I always had a problem with this, even as a TBM. To me, this is priestcraft, pure and simple, by the mormins' own definition. http://eom.byu.edu/index.php/Priestcraft

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: October 28, 2017 03:01PM

Of course!!! After all it is all about the money! Isn't it?

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: October 28, 2017 03:01PM

Why not? Besides, it gives the TBM something to buy for each other for gifts (they don't buy that stuff for themselves).

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: October 28, 2017 04:16PM

They’ve been doing it since JS began selling his BOM & got rich.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2017 04:17PM by PapaKen.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 28, 2017 04:43PM

The notion that your 'ethical' and their 'ethical' must agree is not a realistic point of view.

Whenever I have a question regarding ethical behavior, so that I'll have some guidance on how to proceed, I call the Alphonse Capone Ethics Recreation Project, to get their input.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 28, 2017 06:12PM

If they're pocketing $ written while they were on the Morg's clock (paid employees), that would be somewhat unethical as far as the members concern(s).,.

BUT THEY DON'T COUNT IN MORLAND!

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 28, 2017 07:52PM

Most politicians use ghost writers. I don't like that, either.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: October 28, 2017 08:16PM

I look at this two ways.

Back in the 60s/70s when GAs were commonly on business boards or had jobs, yes some kept their day jobs, it seemed normal.

I remember Le Grande Richards donating the profits of "A Marvelous Work and a Wonder " to the missionary fund.

Now that the GAs not only have Ghost Writers but have a rather generous "living allowance" I see it as part of their job to be on the cover and thd church reaps thd rewards.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 28, 2017 08:39PM

A follow-up thought: Using a corps of ghost writers, along with an integrated board of editors, is consistent with correlation and the desire for standardization of the LDS product line. Bear in mind, I'm not ex-Mo, so I'm not conversant with some of the strange and controversial titles that apostles and others wrote, and probably in their very own "write." "The Miracle of Forgiveness," perhaps? Benson and his politics also comes to mind.

Thus, keeping such writing in-house guards against some otherwise respected G.A. or apostle from wandering off the reservation, and reduce the chance the president-profit has to say, "I don't think we've ever taught that." This way the flock is fed spiritual porridge, each serving a variation on a small group of tried, true, safe recipe. This also protects against different strains of folk Mormonism, or competing "schools" of doctrine.

Pollythinks (above), I like your suggestion that they give each other the books, but rarely read them. It brings to my mind the idea of re-gifting, taken to a most unfortunate extreme.

Last thought: Let's acknowledge that we don't know for a fact that these officials use ghost writers. It's a reasonable speculation, but unless somebody can establish that as fact, it is, after all, just a good educated guess.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2017 09:00PM by caffiend.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: October 28, 2017 09:15PM

I see nothing wrong with it.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 28, 2017 09:23PM

I heard about a LDS guy who picks up a bunch of used BoMs at DI and then sells them on Amazon for a profit. That's one way to "share the gospel."

You'd think GA's would give their wisdom for free to their flock, but no. They have to fleece the sheep.

Posted by: txrancher ( )
Date: October 28, 2017 09:40PM

"You'd think GA's would give their wisdom for free to their flock"

This is a really simple, clear, profound assessment! Yes, why are they selling these books if they are apostles????

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.