Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: October 29, 2017 02:37PM

What "Gotcha questions" have you asked Mormons and how did they respond?
"Why were blacks excluded from Mormon temples up until 1978, when you dont need the priesthood to go to the temple?"
Or, "Why do Mormons stiil believe Native Americans are actually "Lamanites, after DNA tests prove theres no trace of Jewish DNA in their genetic makeup?"
Or, "Why do you still sing the praisez of a man who ruined his followers lives by 'marrying' their wives, when that violates every law ever written governing marriage, including the one he said he got straight from God?"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: October 29, 2017 03:09PM

Nice set, koriwhore, but as we all know, such questions are meaningless to committed Mormons. To them, there is only one question in all of life that matters, and that is: are you loyal to the LDS church? Any other questions are seen as proof of your defectiveness, and will be countered with any and all retorts whose ultimate basis is that you are fighting against God.

Until you can set make the debate about that issue, you are letting them set the terms of the debate, and they will never listen.

But let's keep trying.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2017 03:20PM by slskipper.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: October 29, 2017 03:12PM

Non-white membership makes up about 1/3 of the Mormon church. So their "should" be about five non-white apostles. Why are there none?

What I would really like to do is ask this question to one of the current apostles in a live TV interview. They can't use the excuse that "that was in the past" like they do with the priesthood ban, or that the "curse" in the BoM isn't skin color, etc. This question applies to the HERE AND NOW, the reality as it is.

I have never seen that question posed in all the interviews of apostles (or official spokespeople) that I have witnessed over the years. I would ask the question and of course they would never answer it directly. So I would keep asking the question--again and again and again--until the unfortunate bloke drowned in a pool of his own sweat.

Posted by: grudunza ( )
Date: October 29, 2017 11:44PM

19 new apostles since 1978. 19! All white. I would say that the next one has got to be Asian or Latino or black, but then again, it won’t surprise me if no. 20 is also a white guy from Utah.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: October 30, 2017 12:07AM

Jesus only 19? Man those guys have been living large and cleaning house for almost 40 f#cking years. Can you see why i am upset?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 29, 2017 03:45PM

How come DNA technology is reliable for genealogy but not for identification of Lamanites?

How come God decided that the mainstream Mormons are right and the fundy LDS who more closely follow what God revealed to JS are wrong?

How come most people believe the "true" religion happens to be the one they were born into?

How come they don't talk about Fanny Alger, Zelph or MMM in church?

How can God be the "same yesterday and tomorrow" when he is different as night and day from the OT to the NT?

Why do you allow yourself to be told what to believe just because some guy or book says so?

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: October 29, 2017 08:55PM

Dagny is The WINNER !!!

Date: November 02, 2017 04:01PM

Now chatting with: Evan and Jake

Jake 12:46 PM
Hello! How are you?

BOB 12:48 PM
Good. I just had a question, what makes the mainstream LDS church right and the Fundamentalist LDS church wrong?

Jake 12:48 PM
I didn't know those were churches. I've only ever heard of the RLDS church and the LDS church.

The chat session has ended.

Posted by: FunnyThing ( )
Date: October 29, 2017 07:49PM

A recently closed thread sparked lively discussion about the use of "dummies" and how insensitive and inappropriate it was to be used by the OP.

I'm wondering why not the same type of outrage for the spelling of "MORmONS".

Hmmmm.... do we have a double std here?

Nah.... I guess not.....

Date: October 29, 2017 07:56PM

If you're outraged by MORmONs maybe this isnt the right forum for you?

Date: October 29, 2017 10:00PM

Just trying to understand the double standard. It's not ok to call others "dummies" in another thread, but it's ok to use MORONS in general though out general posting. So it's ok to not belittle one group but it is ok for another.

No wonder the human race is confusing.....

Date: October 29, 2017 10:40PM

Nobody used the word MORONS, except you. I didn't know we had word police on this site. If its not on the banned word list, its fair game.

Date: October 29, 2017 11:34PM

No honour here among thieves here....

Posted by: No one's laughing ( )
Date: October 30, 2017 09:17AM

-And, no contextual understanding from someone lurking, just waiting for MORmONs to be slammed on a board full of people shunned by Mormons, in similar ways that "dummies" are still shunned (bullied) by "quick learners."

A "quick learner" would pick up on the fact that it's not acceptable to refer to groups real children living today in derogatory terms, some of whose parents and family may be on this board. S/he would be able to differentiate between the suffering of those children and their family members, and fully grown adults who choose to ignore history and logic.

-Since you obviously need it to be explained - "Honor among thieves?" How about "brains among the smart?"

Also, so kind of you to again draw attention to a suffering and usually kind poster whom likely would rather let it drop.

Have you any more salt to pour into wounds? I say, "just let go the MORmON in you."

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 29, 2017 08:07PM

If Monson told you to kill me would you do it ?

Date: October 30, 2017 12:10AM

We have a winner.

Posted by: No name ( )
Date: October 29, 2017 11:51PM

Let's not get distracted from the real issue... There is an army of doomsday cult salesman out there.... And they sing praises to a pedophile from the 1800's!!!

Date: October 30, 2017 12:16AM

They really do love that guy that's for sure.

Posted by: mightybuffalo ( )
Date: October 29, 2017 11:53PM

If the word of wisdom is a commandment, how come mormons aren't vegetarian during summer months and why can't they drink mild barley drinks? its all in section 89.

Date: October 30, 2017 12:22AM

And why can't they "partake of wholesome herbs"?

Posted by: mightybuffalo ( )
Date: October 30, 2017 12:35AM

LOL actually from what my TBM brother says they can indeed partake of wholesome herbs. He lives in Colorado and uses wholesome herbs. Never was prescribed them of course. He's in the bishopric and the bishop and high counselor that recommended him for the job knows he partakes. I guess they treat the green wholesome herb like an over the counter medicine?

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: October 30, 2017 06:12AM

That's funny! In Hawaii, only meduse is legal, but it is only recently that some TSCC stake leadership has decided to allow meduse w/o sanction. I doubt a meduser will advance in priesthood authority, he's sick after all, but he can receive all other blessings and still use the herb. Seems that too many local members were finding this issue to be a deal breaker, even in generational Hawaiian families. And once a male priesthood leader bails, the whole "ohana" (family) starts to fray and fall apart.

Posted by: geyien ( )
Date: October 30, 2017 05:28AM

Name one verifiable prophecy from any prophet that ever came true.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 30, 2017 08:21AM

Win !

Date: October 30, 2017 06:32PM

Alright this might be the winner.

Posted by: C2NR ( )
Date: October 30, 2017 02:20PM

D&C 77 is clearly written as a revelation and unequivocally states multiple times that the earth is between 6,000 and 7,000 years old. Do you believe that?

What if the BofM contained passages from the bible that were written after Lehi left Jerusalem? (There are four chapters from Isaiah that were.)

What if you found out that Joseph Smith was taking polygamous wives before the time he claimed the sealing keys were restored to earth?

Date: October 31, 2017 11:43PM

I asked for you...predictably they lied...

Hi Matt,
Thank you for your interest in chatting with a member of the Church. What would you like to talk about?

Matt 8:07 PM
Can you tell me a verifiable prophecy by a Mormon Prophet that has come to pass?

Now chatting with: Jordan and Tyler
Jordan 8:07 PM
Hi Matt! How are you this evening?

Matt 8:07 PM
Good. I answered your question. Can you answer mine?

Jordan 8:08 PM
Yes. Just one minute while we write it out.

Matt 8:09 PM
Another QUestion: D&C 77 is clearly stated as revelation and says that the Earth is 6-7.000 yrs old. Do you believe that?

Jordan 8:09 PM
There are many prophecies in the scriptures that have been/are being fulfilled today. Are you talking about latter-day prophecies or ancient prophecies in the scriptures?

Matt 8:14 PM
YEs, Mormon Prophecies, which would have been by Joseph Smith or any Mormon Prophet since him.

Jordan 8:16 PM
“You know no more concerning the destinies of this Church and kingdom than a babe upon its mother’s lap. You don’t comprehend it. … This Church will fill North and South America—it will fill the world.”
This is one prophecy that Joseph Smith gave which can be found at https://www.lds.org/manual/teachings-joseph-smith/chapter-11?lang=eng. At the time, the membership of the Church was very small and only in New York and the Northeastern United States. The members were discouraged at their charge to spread the gospel throughout the world. Joseph prophesied to them that the church would one day fill the world, and today, that is being fulfilled. The Church is now on every continent and in a good majority of the countries in the world. I think this is an amazing prophecy that Joseph Smith gave about the destiny of the Church back when it was so young.

Matt 8:22 PM
There are 15 million Mormons out of 75. Billion people, that's less than 2/10th of 1% or one person per every 500 people on Earth. HOw is that filling the Earth?
1 Mormon for every 500 people, after 150 years of maintaining the world's biggest missionary effort, that seems like pretty paltry return on investement if you ask me.

Matt 8:25 PM
Did you see my 2nd Question?
D&C 77 clearly states that it is Revelation and that the Earth is only 6-7,000 years old. Do Mormons still believe that despite the fact we have Neanderthal DNA and they died out 30,000 years
Meaning our ancestors would have had to have been around 30,000 years ago to mate with Neanderthals, who died out 30,000 years ago, about the same time we domesticated Dogs.

Jordan 8:26 PM
In that quote, Joseph never mentioned actual numerical membership. He simply said it would fill the world. To me, that's saying that the presence of the Church will be all over the world in many countries all over. From those humble beginnings in upstate New York, I think it's cool that the Church has grown to nearly 16 million members. Although church membership is still small, the church is one of the fastest growing religions in the world while many other religions are declining in adherents.

Tyler 8:27 PM
What made you interested in these topics?
Have you been investigating our church?

Matt 8:28 PM
Yes, my wife is a member and wants me to join in the worst way, but I just have to know I'm not agreeing to fork over 10% of my income to a church that still believes the Earth is 6,000 yrs old. Do you?

Tyler 8:29 PM
But you do understand that it's impossible to know like a 100% know that the church is true and all these things are true, right?

Matt 8:30 PM
7,000 I guess it says.

Matt 8:31 PM
SO it's true that the Earth is 7,000 years old, like God says in D&C 77: 6?

Jordan 8:33 PM
It's hard for us to know for sure since God never says specifically in the scriptures. It's open for some speculation. In the scriptures, it says the earth's temporal existence spans about that time but there could have been many years of creation before man came to Earth.

Matt 8:34 PM
Have you read your own scriptures? Specifically D&C 77:6? HE says right there that the Earth is 7,000 years old.

Tyler 8:35 PM
We have and in the scriptures it says "its temporal existence."

Matt 8:36 PM
As opposed to 'non-temporal existence?' Why can't Mormons just be honest and forthcoming?
If I have to lie to be a Mormon, no thanks.

Jordan 8:36 PM
It's hard because temporal existence can be a bit of an ambiguous statement. Is it 7,000 years from Adam and Eve until present day or 7,000 years from Adam and Eve till the end of the world? We aren't told for sure.

Matt 8:36 PM
No. He says the Earth is 7,000yrs old, nothing about Adam and Eve. So do you believe the first Humans came along 7,000yrs ago?

Jordan 8:40 PM
Honestly, Matt, I don't really have a specific belief one way or another because for me, this question isn't important for my faith in Jesus Christ. Even with that statement, to me the question is open-ended because we don't know what is considered the temporal existence of the world. Whether or not the first humans came 7,000 years ago isn't really a concern of mine. For me, the most important thing is my personal faith in Jesus Christ and obedience to His commandments.

Tyler 8:41 PM
What has your wife said about all this?

Matt 8:42 PM
She said to ask you.
So I am.
But you're saying you have no answers, so I am at a dead end. Don't you have a Sr. Companion who is more knowledgeable than you?

Posted by: jackman ( )
Date: November 01, 2017 12:14PM

I am enjoying reading this way too much.
Thanks for sharing koriwhore. You're a genius in my book.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: October 30, 2017 02:40PM

So...can you explain in detail the Jaredite voyages in banana-shaped wooden submarines? How come,if they had strong winds blowing them forward all the time, it took nearly a year to reach their point of landing? They must've had a jolly time with all of those bees in those subs, doncha' think?

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: October 30, 2017 06:02PM

That always bugged me as a TBM--344 days to cross the ocean? Imagine how long it would have taken without God's help.

Date: October 30, 2017 06:35PM

Haha were you trying to be funny with that bugged me refering to the bees, maybe not but well done.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 30, 2017 04:39PM

Adapted from another thread:

"If you want to spread knowledge of the fullness of the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ, why is it a no-no to spread knowledge of the "restored temple ceremonies"?

(Hmmm....could it be because much of what goes on in the temple is not really about the gospel, or about Jesus Christ?)

Date: October 30, 2017 06:37PM

That is a very very good point.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 30, 2017 05:27PM

Why did Joe marry the wives of living men (who were serving missions he sent them on)?

Why the flip=flop on whether the black PH deal was Doctrine or not?

Please compare TSM with 'profiles of a prophet' which the LDS wrote & repeatedly publishes...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2017 05:28PM by GNPE.

Date: October 31, 2017 01:03AM

Hi No Name Provided,

Thank you for your interest in chatting with a member of the Church. What would you like to talk about?
Now chatting with: James and Trent

No Name Provided 9:44 PM
Why were blacks restricted from entering the temple prior to 1978 when you don't need the priesthood to go to the temple?

Trent 9:45 PM
That is a great question, to give me some context may I ask how you came in contact with the church?

No Name Provided 9:45 PM
My wife is Mormon.
And wants me to join up but she can't answer my questions and I need answers before I sign up to fork over 10% of my income to a church that discriminated against blacks for most of its history.
Was there a reason or was it just plain old fashioned racism?
No Name Provided 9:47 PM
racial discrimination.

Trent 9:48 PM
Ok I see, so to be quite frank, I do not have a conclusive answer as to why that happened. But I can tell you that it is not due to racism as early on in church history there is accounts of blacks receiving the priesthood

No Name Provided 9:48 PM
discriminating against people based upon their skin color is the very definition of racism.
Unless God said to discriminate against blacks. Did he?

Trent 9:49 PM
Also most of the early church were Northerners aligned with abolitionism and actually were driven out of Missouri since slave owners in Missouri were concerned that they would sway local policy away from slavery

No Name Provided 9:50 PM
So if they were progressive Northerners why'd they discriminate against blacks and restrict them from their Temples when you don't need the Priesthood to enter a temple?>

Trent 9:50 PM
God's plan is for everyone, but Christ ministry was to the Jews, it was not until after His ministry did He command his Apostles to preach the Gospel to the whole world
Would you say that shows that Christ was discriminatory?

No Name Provided 9:50 PM
You're avoiding answering my question.
I asked you first and would like an answer to my question.
Please

Actually, to enter the fullness of the temple you do need the temple as a male

you do need the priesthood*

No Name Provided 9:51 PM
Huh? Women go to the temple all the time and they don't have the priesthood.
So why'd black women get banned from the temple?
Had to be their skin color, right?
Not the fact they didn't have the priesthood, since women still don't have the priesthood and go to the temple all the time.

Trent 9:52 PM
Like I said originally, I do not have an exact answer, but as this is a conversation and not an interagation, I do ask that you respond to my questions so I can better assit you

No Name Provided 9:52 PM
You still have not answered my question. This is why I probably won't be a Mormon, since I can't get a straight answer out of a Mormon, ever.

Trent 9:52 PM
and you have not answered mine

No Name Provided 9:53 PM
I asked first.

Trent 9:53 PM
It isnt about you getting an answer from me
it is about you getting an answer from God
and yes, I did! I told you I cant answer that question

No Name Provided 9:53 PM
I know what God said, "Love your fellow man as yourself." How is discriminating against them based upon their skin color loving htem as yourself?

Trent 9:54 PM
Do you think all churches were integrated at the time of the abolition of slavery? Segregation remained well into the 20th century
We don't have the answers, think of the social pressures created when Rosa Parks sat on a bus and refused to stand up. We simply don't have the answers

No Name Provided 9:55 PM
Other church's don't have scriptures that describe their God turning white people black for sinning and white again for repenting and black again for sinning. Mormons do. That's racist AF.

Trent 9:55 PM
There is no scripture that claims that
That is a misinterpretation

No Name Provided 9:56 PM
The Book of Mormon doesn't say that God turned Lamanites dark skinned for sinning and white again for repenting, and dark again for sinning again?

Trent 9:56 PM
That is not a curse, but a sign to show the difference of the people of God and those who did not follow God.

No Name Provided 9:57 PM
So if God is the same today, yesterday and tommorrow, why didn't he turn Hitler as black as coal and MLK as white as a snowman?

Trent 9:58 PM
If you do have a sincere desire to learn and converse, I would be happy to help, but if not I am going to end this chat as we are not getting anywhere

No Name Provided 9:58 PM
Yeah, like I thought. No excuse for racism.
Or white supremacy.

Trent 9:58 PM
Have a wonderful night my friend :)

No Name Provided 9:58 PM
You're not very convincing.

The chat session has ended.

Posted by: jackman ( )
Date: November 01, 2017 12:09PM

Wow, Just wow! Bravo!
You are so good at scrutiny. That is a vital step in weeding out fact from fiction.
Having been Mormon my whole life and just now learning about reality, my skills in this area are lacking.

So I take it Trent's definition for having a desire to learn and converse is to accept everything at wholesale value and not to question anything?
No thanks.

Great job Koriwhore. You rock.

Posted by: severedpuppetstrings ( )
Date: November 01, 2017 09:52PM

Website, please! I've got a few questions that I would LOVE to pepper on them!

Date: November 02, 2017 03:59PM

https://www.mormon.org/
click on the chat button.
I encourage everybody to go ask your Gotcha Questions there and copy and paste here, just to get a good record of the lies still being spread by LDS Inc.
And don't take, "We don't know, but God does." for answer

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: November 01, 2017 06:29AM

Exmo: Please bear to me your fervent testimony of the truthfulness of The Pearl of Great Price.

TBM: What book is that? I haven't heard it mentioned in General Conference for years now.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: November 01, 2017 11:11AM

If scrubbing church toilets brings one to exaltation, then how come 90% or more of the church buildings were cleaned by professional janitors prior to 2000?

Posted by: T ( )
Date: November 02, 2017 08:59PM

Lots of janitors in the celestial kingdom. Got to keep the place sparkling white.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: November 02, 2017 04:12PM

Do you know anything about circumstances around the restoration of polygamy and how many wives Joseph Smith had. Also how many were 18 or younger and how many already married to another living man?

When they answer all their lives and they are not sure then I say why not? Why was this kept from you? You now know Joe Smith married his 16-year-old live-in foster daughter. Are you seriously OK with that?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.