Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Joe the man ho & Brig the pig ( )
Date: November 02, 2017 08:26PM

JI have a few tbm reletives that always INSIST we pray out loud in public. Ugh don't they realize how self righteous that is? There big long LOUD prayers as well I had to pray in the mall food court once and then we had to say a prayer at wendys the other day ugh praying at wendys? I mean really? I didn't feel like arguing so I just went along with it. But it was so uncomfortable. I mean cant they just say a prayer in there own heads? It just kinda seems like a big ol "look at me look at me! Type of thing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 02, 2017 08:32PM

Just quote the bible to 'em:

And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

Matt. 6:5

See if they still insist on doing it :)

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: November 02, 2017 11:50PM

I like that scripture it made me think of a few people right off the bat.

Date: November 02, 2017 11:54PM

I am greatful i don't pray anymore, all it did was program me over and over and over. Now if i try i just sound like an idiot talking to nobody. And if there is a god he knows d@mn well that i hate him so i am not fooling anybody. Be true to yourself.

Date: November 02, 2017 11:57PM

I think i am traumatized from all the prayers of my life. I am being serious, not one thing i really wanted came true. I am still very depressed that there is no god that can repair the body. To reach god status you have to know how to repair the human body straight up in my opinion.

Date: November 03, 2017 03:33AM

Ya whenever I would pray I honestly just feel like I was talking to the wall. I'm sorry you never got what you wanted Badass :( to be honest neither have I in fact the ONLY time I feel a prayer of mine was ever answered was if I found a lost wallet or something but is that because my prayer was answered or just luck? You know what I mean? When I would pray about more serious life issues I was never helped. After a while I was kind of like umm ya what's the point?

And ya if there is a God hes got a DAMNED lot of explaning to do! I mean why is it he wont answer some peoples prayers but my friends ex husband who beat her and there cute little boy and cheated on her gets to be happily remarried and have lots of friends still and a happy easy life? I never have understood why people who hurt others would have there prayers answered and get blessings and people who would not hurt others don't get there prayers answered I mean doesn't that make God kind of a dick? And thank you I will try to be more true to myself

Posted by: helenm ( )
Date: November 02, 2017 08:35PM

Next time, just pray inside the house or in the car.

Date: November 02, 2017 08:40PM

Thanks guys! And ificouldhietokolob thanks for the advice ill make sure to bring a Bible with me next time! :) LOL

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: November 02, 2017 08:46PM

Next time, say it in Latin and make the Sign of the Cross afterwards! Seriously, no one should ever be forced to pray, make an oath, or declare allegiance to something they don’t believe in. I’m sorry you had to compromise your feelings because of outsde pressures.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: November 02, 2017 10:26PM

I'm with you Boner. Say the prayer in latin, loud.

Date: November 02, 2017 09:02PM

Aww thanks boner! Hahahahaha And ok ill make sure to do that! :) oh the looks they'd have on there faces! lol LOL!

Date: November 02, 2017 10:13PM

You might also try something like, “Lord, it’s so fuckin’ great to be in this family!” It may raise a few eyebrows, but God would know you’re sincere.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2017 10:16PM by BYU Boner.

Posted by: gatorman ( )
Date: November 02, 2017 09:16PM

Just curious how can anyone MAKE you pray anywhere?

Gatorman

Date: November 02, 2017 10:15PM

“Family peer pressure creates cowards of us all.” ~~ Judic West.

Date: November 03, 2017 03:40AM

Ya what Boner said pretty much

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: November 02, 2017 09:45PM

I hate that. That's one of my pet peeves. I have only been with a few members who prayed in public. Most prayed in the car before we went in.Ive been with a LOT of fundamentalist baptist though in the 70swho always prayed in public and out loud. I get uncomfortable when I even see other people praying in public, especially if they're doing the holding hands thing.
When I was with people who prayed, I never bowed my head.
I made sure to never go out to a restaurant with those people again .
There's another verse in the Bible about people who fake fasting out in public, who really aren't, who " disfigure their faces" or something like that.
It also says somewhere that people who pray in secret or in their closets, or something like that, are blessed

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: November 02, 2017 10:19PM

Luckily, no crazy TBM's in my family do this in public. I used to be put on the spot to say the meal prayer. They know I'll say no every time now.

Posted by: Very Afraid ( )
Date: November 02, 2017 10:21PM

Tell me about it. The BYU cafeteria was the worst. I was always embarrasses, when someone would visit from another school. We would joke that students were praying that they wouldn't get food poisoning.

If someone sitting at our same table started to pray, my boyfriend would sprinkle water on the food, making the sign of the cross, and muttering in Latin. He would usually splash some in the direction of the pretentious praying person.

My sanctimonious uncle had 10 children, and he would force the whole family to hold hands around the restaurant table. His prayers were very loud and long--after all, he had a very high COB position. I would keep my eyes open, and the people on either side of me wouldn't get my hand, but my fist, instead.

I was angry, because I felt the Mormon male priesthood holders were hijacking something deeply personal and private, and exploiting it, in order to appear important. Prayer became, somehow, tainted.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 02, 2017 10:25PM

I have lived in Utah almost all my life and I don't remember ever seeing anyone praying at a restaurant or a fast food place. I've heard about it or seen at work sometimes. My ex had a coworker who prayed over his lunch and then read scriptures while he ate. We later found out he beat his wife. She looked so horrible. When her kids grew older, they talked her into divorcing him and she did.

It seems those who have to seem the most religious are hiding the most if you ask me. My ex's dad was that way. His whole family is that way. Put on a good fake front and you don't know what is going on behind closed doors.

Posted by: Peculiargiftsnli ( )
Date: November 05, 2017 12:25PM

Cl2, that has always been my experience, too. The more of a public show of (self)righteousness, the more awful in private.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 02, 2017 11:23PM

Typical LDS manipulation, 'at its Best-Worst'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2017 11:38PM by GNPE.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 02, 2017 11:42PM

You don't need to participate. You can just sit quietly, or even better, start eating.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 02, 2017 11:43PM

take a knee

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: November 02, 2017 11:47PM

Eating while they're praying, I used to do that, but very quietly, and just one bite.You can also sit very still and just roll your eyes.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: November 03, 2017 01:22AM

Better safe than sorry. Listen to “Hand of the Almighty” by John R. Butler. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XLwtqwnI6ko

Date: November 03, 2017 03:13AM

Hahahahahahahahahaha thanks for the advice boner! Id totally love too see the expresions on there faces! Thanks for this fuckin family lord! LOL and ya its one of my pet peeved as well. And ill have to do some eaten and eye rollin GNPE yes it IS munipulative isn't it? Man its like if you want to show off how "self" righteous you are fine but do you really need to drag me into it?! Cl2 oh my gosh that's horrible! And yes I know what you mean about sometimes the people who act the most righteous are hiding the most ive seen that happen before.

Date: November 03, 2017 04:14AM

Lol thanks for the warning babylon! Maybe I SHOULD pray don't want God to fuck me up anymore than he already has! Lol

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: November 03, 2017 12:19PM

I always hated that!!

In a small country like Holland... nobody prays in a restaurant... like, nobody.

Except for the mormons..

I used to be so embarrassed....

It was all about show.. it was all about standing out.
I didn't want to stand out. I just wanted to be normal.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 03, 2017 12:41PM

"No, I won't be doing that."

Say the above until they hear you. If necessary, walk away.

"Sorry, I can't stay in this situation. Public praying is offensive to me."

Every time I see anyone at a mall or restaurant pray I think they are grandstanding crackpots.

Do they think God can't hear them if they quietly bow their heads and silently pray?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2017 12:44PM by Cheryl.

Date: November 03, 2017 12:54PM

Becca your right! It really IS all about show ugh it really is uncomfortable! And thanks Cheryl I will do that :) and YA do they not think God can hear them if they silently say a prayer to themselves? After all doesn't God know your thoughts? I thought he did?

Posted by: Awkward waitress ( )
Date: November 03, 2017 02:23PM

When I was a TBM, I'd just close my eyes before eating to say a quick prayer. I did feel awkward about it, but I was afraid of being kicked out of heavenly father's favor if I didn't pray. I remember once when I had closed my eyes, some little kid at another table asked his mom, "Why is she sleeping?" I remember wanting to slap him.

I had never encountered other LDS who prayed in public, but I had experiences with Christians who prayed long and loudly before eating. When I was a waitress, just as I sat the first plates down on the table, heads dropped hard, hands clasps in a circle, and the patriarch would pray. It made me feel like it was their sneaky way of including me in the prayer because I couldn't just leave the table until they were done and I could ask them if everything looked okay...At least LDS wouldn't be that awkward.

Posted by: brownie ( )
Date: November 05, 2017 02:14AM

'Oh gawwwwd, hear the words of my mouth!'
Repeated three times.

Or, in the true Adamic language, with the accompanying gestures.

Date: November 05, 2017 08:17AM

Brownie Omg OMG!!! Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Oh man that would be SO funny! I would love to see what there reaction would be to that!

Date: November 05, 2017 08:19AM

I bet thed chop my head off though if they didn't pass out from shock first!

Posted by: brownie ( )
Date: November 05, 2017 12:03PM

You must Return and Report.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: November 05, 2017 08:59AM

I worked with a woman at the last place I was at in Las Vegas. We were sort of friendly in the sense that we were a couple of the oldest people working there so occasionally we'd sit at the same table in the cafeteria.

She wasn't mormon although that would have been possible in Las Vegas. When she sat down to eat, she always bowed her head and said an internal prayer, less than 20 seconds or so.

She never explained, I never asked.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.