Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bubbleboy ( )
Date: May 29, 2011 04:49PM

When I watched Tangled, the Mother Gothel reminded me of Mormonism, and Rapunzel's feelings after leaving reminded me a lot about what I felt when I left tscc.

Today I've been watching Pleasantville, and it seems like a metaphor for discovering the real world as well.

Are there any other movies you have seen that seem like metaphors for leaving tscc?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: another guy ( )
Date: May 29, 2011 04:52PM

Apocalypse Now

Posted by: another guy ( )
Date: May 29, 2011 05:22PM

And "one flew over the cuckoo's nest" - trying to remain sane in an insane situation, esp. from those who are supposed to be in control...

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: May 29, 2011 05:16PM

Chocolat - A religiously devout town is changed by the arrival of a non-believer who brings the pleasures of chocolate.

The Truman Show - A man realizes that his whole life has been "staged" by others.

A Price Above Rubies - A young wife in a strictly religious, male-dominated Jewish community tries to break free.

The Matrix - Futuristic, controlled society.

The Handmaid's Tale - Futuristic society based on Bible teachings.

The Ruling Class - A man believes he is God (based on the play by Peter Barnes)

The Stepford Wives (either version) - A town where all the wives are perfect and happy, and obedient to their husbands.

The Village - A village lives in fear of the outside

Jesus Camp - Religious indoctrination of children

Posted by: think4u ( )
Date: May 30, 2011 04:50PM

That is one good list there, RP. I have not seen the them all, but definitely agree, Chocolat, Truman Show, Stepford Wives, The Village most of all. Have not seen the others.

Posted by: Elder George Carlin ( )
Date: May 29, 2011 05:18PM

Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: May 29, 2011 05:33PM

Posted by: sillymo ( )
Date: May 29, 2011 05:44PM

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: May 29, 2011 05:49PM

Groundhog Day (except for the ending)

Posted by: nanoron ( )
Date: May 29, 2011 06:06PM

This film can be interpreted many ways. My interpretation is summed up by the Jefferson Airplane lyrics quoted near the end:

"When the truth is found to be lies
And all the joy within you dies"

To me, the film is about the devastation of learning that your religious cosmology is a giant hoax that has evolved to keep you in line with authority. In that way, it reminds me of The Truman Show.

People still living in the bubble cannot possibly understand what it feels like to have your world-view rug yanked out from under you.

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: May 30, 2011 11:15AM

+1

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: May 29, 2011 06:10PM

Not a move but an old '60's British TV series called 'The Prisoner'. The protagonist was held captive in this fake town. Every time he tried to escape there were all these elaborate traps that caught him and dragged him back in.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: May 29, 2011 06:18PM

At the start of the show all he wants to do is resign, and apparently that is not an option.

"I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. I resign."

Then after he is taken prisoner in this Orwellian looney farm, he begins to search for Number One. "Who is Number One?" "You are Number Six." "I am not a number. I am a free man!" *laughter*

It's a great analogy to freeing yourself from Mormonism, and the Church's attempts to stand in your way.

Patrick McGoohan did a film in the late 1970s called "The Hard Way" which was similar to The Prisoner. He is a career assassin from Ireland who decides to resign. His employers won't let him, so they come to get him on his property at a remote Irish farmhouse. Their mistake. Great film.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2011 06:30PM by Makurosu.

Posted by: flash ( )
Date: May 29, 2011 10:54PM

I love that show and it portrays so well the difficulties in leaving the Mormon church.

When I resigned, I thought about that show a lot. Fortunantly, no white baloons ever caught me and brought me back to "the village".

For over 20 years, after I resigned, my life has been my own, and I have not been pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

Life is good.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 29, 2011 07:03PM

I still think that was one of the best TV shows ever made. It was a truly original concept.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: May 29, 2011 06:14PM

I thought that about Tangled too - how the "mom" is always acting like she knows best, she cares about Rapunzel and that the outside world is a terrible place she is protecting Rapunzel from. When in reality, Rapunzel has something she wants and the "mom" is controlling her. When Rapunzel slips out of control, the "mom" shows her true self and it's evil.

Posted by: nomilk ( )
Date: May 29, 2011 06:41PM

Soylant Green

remember Tuesday is Soylant Green day

Posted by: batidaforte ( )
Date: May 29, 2011 07:26PM

Kingdom of Heaven.
Balian goes to Jerusalem to repent of his wife's sins but doesnt feel anything.

Hospitaller: So, how find you Jerusalem?
Balian: God does not speak to me. Not even on the hill where Christ died. I am outside God's grace.
Hospitaller: I have not heard that.
Balian: At any rate, it seems I have lost my religion.
Hospitaller: I put no stock in religion. By the word "religion" I've seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of God. I've seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness...is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves.

Posted by: AIC ( )
Date: May 29, 2011 09:55PM

AMEN!!!!!!!

Holiness...is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves.

Incidentally isn't that what Christ showed/

Here is a man who is blind and don't nobody care.

Oh then he comes along and heals him, thereby delivering him from poverty and he can begin to make a living and be a productive member of society, even bring tithes to the storehouses

But oh know...let's discuss and judge while we do nothing for the needy...way to go Pharisees...way to go!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 29, 2011 07:34PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2011 07:34PM by guynoirprivateeye.

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: May 29, 2011 09:12PM

The Shawshank Redemption,,

Posted by: Regulargal ( )
Date: May 29, 2011 09:25PM

Star Wars

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: May 29, 2011 09:36PM

How to Train your Dragon

A viking kid learns that everything he was taught about dragons is wrong.

Posted by: anon-a-moose 2 nite ( )
Date: May 30, 2011 01:02AM

Mean Girls ......

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 30, 2011 05:46AM

I'm not sure how. Cold Comfort Farm reminds me of everything worth remembering. Maybe the Mormon church reminds me of the Church of the Quivering Brethren. Maybe Amos Starkadder reminds me of all the harebrained bishops and stake presidents I've had. Aunt Ada Doom reminds me of men and women who can't forget stupid crap. Rennet reminds me of the girl your bishop wants you to date. Urk reminds me of the guy that your bishop wants you to date. Adam Lambsbreath reminds me of guys I went home teaching with.

Posted by: OzDoc ( )
Date: May 30, 2011 06:19AM

Hey, Cludgie, I LOOOVE Cold Comfort Farm,especially Aunt Ada & her something in the woodshed.Who does Judith remind you of? A depressed ex-RS president? And Floras's comments on fashions would apply to the MollyMo's.As would their dislike of Flora's ability to thinkk for herself.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: May 30, 2011 06:50AM

"Please come back. You cannot survive outside the City shell. We only want to help you..."

Posted by: rogertheshrubber ( )
Date: May 30, 2011 08:53AM

When it came to my act of leaving, I thought of The Village a lot. The final scenes, where the young woman discovers the truth and has to go back to a world forever changed, are particularly compelling. So often I felt like that young woman.

If you haven't seen it, you really should. It is an Exmo must-see, IMO.

Just in case, I have tried not to give any spoilers.

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: May 30, 2011 09:07AM

Being isolated and convinced that my thoughts are wrong, crazy, or not my own.

Posted by: dr5 ( )
Date: May 30, 2011 09:09AM

Chanted in unison, robotically, after Brian insists he isn't the messiah, and tells people all they need to do is think for themselves:

"We-will-think-for-our-selves."

Posted by: archaicoctober ( )
Date: May 30, 2011 10:45AM

Because that is what I went to I-MAX and saw on my mission, after coming to the conclusion it was all a farce.

I was home a month later!

Posted by: Gideon ( )
Date: May 30, 2011 11:33AM

He was a free man, was captured, became a slave, bounced back to become a powerful gladiator who killed a wicked ruler.

Posted by: mikey ( )
Date: May 30, 2011 12:57PM

1984, starring John Hurt. Definitely a movie to see if you're an ex-mo

Posted by: Parc ( )
Date: May 30, 2011 01:05PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.