Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 09:00AM

Even in a simple game of cards. If you do not give your opponent a mulligan or a free restart he will show no mercy the next round if you need one and it sucks and you feel like sh#t for being greedy in the first place. Now up the scale if the stakes were higher the backlash would be even greater. It felt like an important lesson to me even if it seemed quick and basic i could see the results of my greed very quickly in front of my face, so even the people we consider greedsters i feel they will feel a backlash eventually, it is in human nature. The days are getting shorter up here.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 09:03AM

Meh, it's just a game. You aren't betting money that you don't have, are you?

Date: November 12, 2017 10:33AM

No money is involved but winning prize cards are on the line but thats it.

Posted by: General Comment ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 10:10AM

I think you're describing generosity, which is generally a good thing.

Be generous if and when you wish, but that doesn't guarantee or "buy" reciprocity.

Be selfish if and when you wish, but I don't consider playing to win to be selfish, unless you're playing against a handicapped individual.

My idea of good sportsmanship involves fair play, the same rules for eveyone, never intentionally harming another, generositiy among teammates, and generostity to your opponents following the game, win or lose. There's more, but those are the basics.

Do the players, win or lose, ever say anything like, "Wow, great game. You're a tough opponent, really made me sweat." Ever shake hands and just say thanks for the game?

I'm trying to say that your behavior, no matter how generous or selfish, cannot control the behavior of others, but you can influence it in being a good sport. There is nothing "selfish" about playing to win. But, there's great importance in understanding that the point may not be to win every game, but to enjoy the company of and competition with others.

In negotiations, generosity is often carefully meted out until mutually favorable terms are reached. Friendships can involve a sort of negotiation. Playing against a poor sport, one who cannot accept a defeat or make a concession, can say a lot about that person.

You can Google how to be a good sport for a lot more on the subject. :)

Date: November 12, 2017 10:40AM

I guess that is what i am trying to say, it pays to be a good sport. Nobody likes the selfish dick in the room.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.