Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Aloysius ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 02:18PM

I woke up to a bizarre e-mail this morning with the subject line "speaking in [name of local mormon ward] today." The e-mail started out "Brotheren [sic]" and detailed how the sender, someone whose name I have never heard before, is sick and needs someone to cover his sacrament talk assignment today. In addition to my private, closely guarded e-mail address, the e-mail was sent to e-mail addresses of seven men whose names I have never heard before. Based on quick internet searches, all of these men live near me and are likely mormons. (LinkedIn profiles listing BYU are a give away for a couple.)

Here's the extra creepy part, I have not attended the mormon church in over 11 years, and my name was removed over 10 years ago. I have the letter from church HQ to prove it. I have moved 5 or 6 times across multiple states since I last attended TSCC, and I have not once sought out contact with church leaders since resigning. This can't be just a mistake, since I have an relatively unusual name and use an obscure domain for my personal e-mail. What is up? How (and why) did they find me? What (if anything) should I do?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 02:45PM

I don't have any answers. That's so very creepy.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 02:47PM

Put your email through a search engine and see if it shows up anywhere. Is there anyone who could have possibly given this person your email?

You could either ignore it, possibly block it, or respond saying that you have resigned from the church and not to contact you again. I would be inclined to ignore it and/or block it unless there are repeated contacts.

Look up "blocking emails" for your particular email provider to see if it is possible.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 02:48PM

My guess....

Some clown had your name on an email list and is too stupid to look to see who is current.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 06:56PM

Yep. Ockham's razor.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 02:50PM

Did your parents rat you out ?

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 09:42PM

Mine have done that several times.

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 03:13PM

My impulsive instinct would be to reply all with various links of why you can't possibly give a talk in sacrament meeting. Then I'd realize, I don't want to interact with the asshats and block every email address.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 03:20PM

Hahaha. Just think of the fun you could have....

Reply with, "You have been approved for a special 0% rate for the new Desert Gold credit card. Simply text (enter the sender's address) for an appointment now!"

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 03:28PM

You,and the rest of us really need to understand. "The" church employs many ex-(and maybe not so ex) FBI and CIA agents. These guys have skills and resources that we can't comprehend. If there is any more proof needed that screams "CULT" than enlisting people like that to track down members/ex-members, I've never seen it.

Posted by: brownie ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 04:42PM

Volunteer to speak and speak The Truth.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 07:07PM

brownie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Volunteer to speak and speak The Truth.

I, personally, think this is a great idea!!!

:)

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 07:57PM

You've been out for ten years I wouldn't worry about the

email. It just sounds like somebody goofed.

Posted by: NeverMoJohn ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 09:37PM

You could also approach this from the point of view of a nevermo and respond that you think this email reached you by mistake since you don't attend their church. You could also ask them to remove you from this email thread.

Short simple. No further information, including not admitting any connection whatsoever to the Mormon Church.

Posted by: Aloysius ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 09:42PM

Thanks, everyone. I ultimately went withh something similar to what NeverMoJohn suggested and just replied that they must have reached me by mistake.

Something tells me that this is not the last I'll hear from them.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 09:48PM

Right click, junk, block sender.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: November 13, 2017 01:28AM

I guess I'm lucky in that I left TSCC before email was commonly used, at least as a point of contact. My first email was from AOL.com and the church never had it nor have I ever given them one that I might be contacted at now.

Maybe I should feel bad that I can't have fun spamming them.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: November 13, 2017 02:56PM

Keep the copy.info
Do not respond!, of course.
Don't go to (the lds) 'church'.
Do not speak... or, if you do, speak well and never stop [simply at 'truth']. Ignore the email for now. If you also get a call or knock, or they approach you in public, well, put two and two together. Tell it like it is!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 13, 2017 03:10PM

Someone called me when I'd never attended in this ward, stake or state and hadn't entered a mormon church for at least ten years. They wanted me to bring a hot dish to some event I'd never heard of in a stake building I didn't know how to find and wouldn't bother to attend if someone paid me millions.

The caller was hurt because I told her no and seemed annoyed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2017 03:11PM by Cheryl.

Posted by: Barry ( )
Date: November 13, 2017 06:10PM

I received an email from the stake executive secretary about conference tickets my wife had requested. I forwarded the email to my wife and sent him an email telling him to remove my email address from his database.

At any rate my wife came to me and told me she had gone into something (LDS Tools?) and removed my address. I can think of several ways that my email could get there but don’t know how it actually did.

I haven’t been involved with any organized religion this century. This was my first email contact.

Barry

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.