Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Godzilla ( )
Date: November 17, 2017 11:46AM

I have listened to a few podcasts regarding bishops interviewing young people and children and bringing up intimate and personal matters during those interviews. Can someone tell me why this has not been brought up to legal level? How is the church getting away legally about this, specially given the fact that several bishops have come up as phaedofiles or abusers later on?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 17, 2017 11:56AM

Because 'spiritual advisers' are legally allowed to talk to the people (even kids, with the parents' explicit or implicit approval) they're 'spiritually advising' about anything they want to.

All it would take to completely end this would be mormon parents telling every bishop, "You do not have my permission to discuss sex, masturbation, or any other intimate subjects with my children." But they don't do that -- 'cause he's the bishop.

Posted by: Godzilla ( )
Date: November 17, 2017 12:07PM

It would be nice is someone can draft a letter so us who do not attend and have children attending can give to their bishops in writing and make this request more oficial.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: November 17, 2017 12:58PM

http://www.dovesandserpents.org/wp/2013/08/this-must-stop-a-call-to-end-sexually-invasive-interviews-between-priesthood-leaders-and-minors-in-the-lds-church/

"This Must Stop: A Call to End Sexually Invasive Interviews Between Priesthood Leaders and Minors in the LDS Church"

"Bishop Talks Oral Sex to a 7 Year Old"

https://invisiblescubit.wordpress.com/2017/11/16/bishop-talks-oral-sex-to-a-7-year-old/

It'll change/ it's changing.
Because IT HAS TO! Uproar.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: November 18, 2017 08:29PM

Huge trigger warning for the comments. So many TBM males blaming the writer for not stopping the interview. She was 13. He was 50.

Other comments accuse the writer of being sinful and overly sensitive.

One lady tries to say that these interviews are overwhelmingly positive and why would she tell about her experience when that hardly ever happens.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2017 08:30PM by Dorothy.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 17, 2017 03:18PM

Religions don't have to follow the same rules as those who serve the general public.

If everyone involved agrees, there isn't much incentive for the law to step in. The kids might not like it, but they don't have the power to do anything about it.

Posted by: Betty G ( )
Date: November 18, 2017 06:24AM

Even if they don't have to follow rules, don't they have to follow Laws?

Doesn't it fall somewhere under the laws that such talk to minors can equate to abuse?

I agree, IF this is going on (no personal experience myself of it, but then I'm not a Mormon so I never had these, and my kids don't go through it), someone somewhere should raise a lawsuit about it.

It's NOT right that they can do this to kids.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: November 18, 2017 08:44PM

Betty G Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Even if they don't have to follow rules, don't
> they have to follow Laws?
>
> Doesn't it fall somewhere under the laws that such
> talk to minors can equate to abuse?
>
>

Slippery slope, though.
What if a doctor is talking to their patients about sex? Or therapists? Or parents? Or teachers?

How does one define what is abusive when talking about sex?

Back to what another poster said. Religions have quite a bit of latitude because of guaranteed freedom *OF* religion in the 1st Admendment, whether people agree with it or not.

Minors can drink alcohol for religious purposes even if they are under age.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 19, 2017 08:40AM

No teacher in his or her right mind would go there, unless they were teaching a sex-ed class while following that curriculum with exactitude. Even then, there is no way they would have a private conversation with a student about anything sexual. Teachers are extremely cautious in that regard.

Posted by: unbelievable2 ( )
Date: November 18, 2017 08:57PM

Does anyone have a contact a CNN to share this story with? Let them open an investigation on sexual abuse in this cult and all cults.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 19, 2017 10:14AM

Policemen don't sit in on bishop interviews.

The only way this could happen is if members complained to civil authorities. They'd have to fill out complaint forms and demand action.

Law officers have all they can do to fight crimes of property loss and physical injury. It isn't their job to forcibly go into places of worship to attend meetings where bishops talk to young people. It's also very unlikely that legislators would see as a priority making laws to cover bishop interviews. Imagine the votes they would lose!

The reason school employees and medical staff are careful about these issues is because they serve the general public who don't put up with institutions harming their children. Mormons don't think mormon interviews harm children and don't complain, so nothing will change until the parents step up and make a fuss about it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2017 10:53AM by Cheryl.

Posted by: Gheco ( )
Date: November 19, 2017 11:32AM

The greatest threat to the LDS organization is Youtube and hidden cams.

A few bishops having their careers and personal businesses destroyed by a viral exposure of these despicable actions would change things permanenetly.

And, as a bonus, might ignite a much needed national conversation why churches need to be taxed like any other business.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: November 20, 2017 01:05AM

They suck, are wholly unnecessary, damaging-damning, and should be/ are against the law and against humanity.

"For decades, it has been common practice for Bishops, Bishopric Counselors, Stake Presidents, and Stake President Counselors to pose questions of a sexual nature to children. There are reports of this happening to children as young as age 8. These questions are being asked by an older man, all alone with the child, behind closed doors and often without the knowledge or permission of the parents. Almost universally, these men have no comprehensive training."

Bishop Talks Oral Sex to a 7 Year Old:
https://invisiblescubit.wordpress.com/2017/11/16/bishop-talks-oral-sex-to-a-7-year-old/

"If this disgusts you, plant your signature on the petition and share it everywhere.

Protect our children….from….this….crap. Sign the petition."

https://www.gopetition.com/petitions/protect-the-children-stop-mormon-masturbation-interviews.html

"Society-at-large recognizes that the Mormon practice of sexual interviews with children is wholly inappropriate. It's a dangerous and damaging practice."

"We call on the LDS Church to immediately cease the practice of subjecting children to questions about masturbation, orgasm, ejaculation, sexual positions or anything else of a sexual nature. This applies to all children up to and including age 17.

We call on the LDS Church to publicly disavow this practice.

We call on the LDS Church to insure that all congregational leaders, as well the general membership, are informed that this practice is prohibited."

http://www.dovesandserpents.org/wp/2013/08/this-must-stop-a-call-to-end-sexually-invasive-interviews-between-priesthood-leaders-and-minors-in-the-lds-church/

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 20, 2017 01:08AM

parents are the ones letting bishops get away with this bullshit.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: November 20, 2017 05:08PM

Most of these parents are ignorant or former victims themselves. I'm sure I was asked if I was morally clean as a Mormon youth, but maybe because I could easily answer yes, that's as invasive as things got.

I should have hunted down the Bishop that asked my pre-baptized seven year old daughter if she was morally clean. I just wrote it off to early dementia (seriously).

Neither daughter specifically told me what was asked and said for their only 12 year old worthiness interviews. They both refused to have another. Thankfully, I was smart enough to back them up on this.

I think some of the parents are so deep in the Kool-Aid, they think their child will be wild and evil if they don't have a priesthood thumb on them.

I don't know why a traumatized parent wouldn't protect their child from the same, maybe they haven't realized the abuse.

I would love to have kids use social media to out inappropriate content of these secret meetings, but shame keeps mouths shut.

I hate it when the kids themselves get blamed for allowing the abuse.

You're right. The parents are the only ones with the power to stop these interviews.

Posted by: NevermoinIdaho ( )
Date: November 20, 2017 10:13PM

I tend to have flame coming of my ears when I see this topic come up, so I will say what I always do - THIS IS NOT NORMAL.

I would be going to the authorities as a fully adult woman if the priest of my Episcopal church asked me sexually specific questions. No matter what - if I said, "You know, I had this one-night stand thing, and I don't feel good about it," the LAST thing he'd do would be to start asking me for details! That is predatory, not spiritual!

And if it were my child, well...watch out. I may not have any kids but I know how I'd react.

Please, parents, don't put up with this! Respectable churches DO NOT DO THIS. To anybody, let alone underage children!

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: November 20, 2017 11:48PM

Dirty, slimy, creepy "church" and it's roughshod tactics.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.