Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 17, 2017 09:30PM

Back in 1588 England passed the Simony Act, prohibiting the 'buying' of appointed offices in the church other assorted Royal societies.

Here's the introduction to the law; in other words, the reasoning behind the need for the law (It's ine the orginale Olde Englishe!! Whate ae treate!!e):

"Whereas by the intent of the Founders of Colledges, Churches Collegiat, Churches Cathedrall, Scoles Hospitalls Halles and other like Societies within this Realme, and by the Statutes and good Orders of the same, the Eleccions presentacions and Nominacions of Fellowes Schollers Officers and other persons to have roome or place in the same, are to be had and made of the fittest & moste meete persons beinge capable of the same Eleccions presentacions and Nominacions, freelye without anye Rewarde Guyfte or Thinge given or taken for the same; And for true performaunce whereof, some Ellectors Presentors and Nomynators in the same have or shoulde take a Corporall Oathe to make their Eleccions presenacions and Nominacions accordinglye; YET NOTWITHSTANDINGE IT IS SENE AND FOUNDE BY EXPERIENCE THAT THE SAIDE ELECCIONS PRESENTATION AND NOMINATION BE MANYE TYMES WROUGHT AND BROUGHT TO PASSE WITH MONYE GUYFTS & REWARDS, Whereby the fyttest persons to be presented elected or nominated wantinge Money or Friends are sildome or not at all preferred, contrarie to the good meaninge of the saide Founders, and the saide good Statutes and Ordynaunces of the saide Colledges Churches Scholes Halles Hospitalls & Socyeties, and to the great prejudice of Learning and the Common Wealthe and Estate of the Realme"

So, does this happen en la iglesia mormona, at any level? This is not to say that when two candidates are seen as equal in their faith and character, that the richer of the two shouldn't get the office, because using mormon logic, ghawd has blessed him more. I'm asking, have appointees been called because cash was passed or promised, or favor exchanged or promised? Have more worth men been kept from office because of simony? (Simony is, among other things, the selling of appointed offices)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wow ( )
Date: November 17, 2017 11:32PM

I have been told by well connected people in Utah County and BYU that the owners of Nu skin in Provo "bought" their mission president assignments.
Also if you look at general authorities, why is it that a school teacher never has a sufficient testimony to be a leader in the church.
This is all part of the current philosophical bent of the church to preach a version of "prosperity gospel".
It is very simple really, if you run a organization that demands 10% of members income -- do you want collect 10% of $35,000 each year , or 10% of $500,000 each year-- consequently you let it be known to young men who aspire to leadership positions, that the best route is to become a wealthy businessman.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 18, 2017 03:52AM

I don't know of simony per se; I have heard from credible sources about connected people (Richard Hinckley) asking their patrons (Gordon Hinckley) for high ranks and being told, you'll have to be a mission president but can then be a Seventy. But that is not quite the same thing as buying a position.

I also don't think that tithing is a major advantage in this race. My guess is that the "prosperity gospel" is a more serious motivation. The church wants its leaders to be paragons of social prestige and financial success. That such people know how to deal with the law and with public relations problems adds to their appeal.

But the notion of "prosperity gospel" itself leads to more income since it encourages other rising magnates to commit more fully to the church. So if my impression is correct, choosing socially and commercially successful leaders yields financial advantages to the church even if overt simony doesn't take place.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: November 18, 2017 08:29AM

My oh my how the King's Englishe hath forsaken the letter E at the end of so manye a word.

Methinks the practitioner's of Gutenburg's craft must have ran short of printing blocks for the letter E and were forced to edit theyre text as theye saw fit.

Posted by: itzbeen20 ( )
Date: November 18, 2017 09:32AM

Do know from studying some language that often terminal letters are place to carry thru the sounding of the last letters in a full syllable.
Different languages and pronunciations can chop off sounds. So this was done to ensure the full pronunciation of the word. If there was an “e” there you would say the full syllable.
Being in english is be-ing. Being in french is be/een, the ing = in. They have to make a conscious effort to say the “ing” fully.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2017 09:38AM by itzbeen20.

Posted by: itzbeen20 ( )
Date: November 18, 2017 10:10AM

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: November 18, 2017 11:35AM

Family = wealth = connections
Connections = family = wealth
wealth = connections = family
connections = wealth= family
family = connections = wealth
wealth = family = connections

My surmise is that the amalgamation of the above constitutes the LDS elite's farm system.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.