Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: November 18, 2017 08:41PM

The church Rel. Soc. has a standard which (obviously) had to be approved by the male-wing of the church. I don't know if these cards can be purchased today (such as in a church store), or even if they are still printed, but below I have typed up a couple of the items listed for your benefit and interest. (There are nine items, total). It begins thus:

"We are beloved spirit daughters of God, and our lives have meaning, purpose, and direction...We are women of faith, virtue, vision, and charity who:

. Dedicate ourselves to strengthening marriages, families, and homes.

. Find nobility in motherhood and joy in womanhood.

. Delight in service and good works.

. Sustain the priesthood as the authority of God on earth.

. Rejoice in the blessings of the temple, understand our divine destiny and strive for exaltation".
-----

Well, 'sisters', what is your favorite?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: unbelievable2 ( )
Date: November 18, 2017 09:01PM

The last two values are specific to the lds cult and are mind control chains to keep the women in their place. The other values seem to be generally accepted norms in some societies.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: November 19, 2017 05:09AM

Speaking of PTDS flashbacks...! That's another thread.

The language of this triggered me, bigtime. My ex-husband used to spout off about how a woman should "honor and sustain the Priesthood" garbage, while he was beating me.

I resent the "We ARE..." crap. I never did like being told who I am.

We (women and men alike) are individuals. We are that we might have joy. Leave us alone, and tend to your own self-serving cult, by yourselves. Leave our children alone, too.

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: November 19, 2017 05:13AM

That makes me want to hurl...

. Delight in service and good works.
. Sustain the priesthood as the authority of God on earth.

especially these..

ptsd triggers anyone?
Fucking cult! I'll give you delightful service up your fucking priesthood ass!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2017 05:14AM by Becca.

Posted by: overit ( )
Date: November 19, 2017 06:04AM

triggers bad recollections of reciting the young women's theme every sunday.
WE ARE DAUGHTERS of our Heavenly Father, who loves us, and we love Him. WE WILL “STAND as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places” (Mosiah 18:9) as we strive to live the Young Women values, which are:

Faith • Divine Nature • Individual Worth • Knowledge • Choice and Accountability • Good Works • Integrity • and Virtue

WE BELIEVE as we come to accept and act upon these values, WE WILL BE PREPARED to strengthen home and family, make and keep sacred covenants, receive the ordinances of the temple, and enjoy the blessings of exaltation.
Repeat every Sunday for 6years
#notacult

Posted by: Tom Padley ( )
Date: November 19, 2017 09:33AM

overit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> triggers bad recollections of reciting the young
> women's theme every sunday.
> WE ARE DAUGHTERS of our Heavenly Father, who loves
> us, and we love Him. WE WILL “STAND as witnesses
> of God at all times and in all things, and in all
> places” (Mosiah 18:9) as we strive to live the
> Young Women values, which are:
>
> Faith • Divine Nature • Individual Worth •
> Knowledge • Choice and Accountability • Good
> Works • Integrity • and Virtue
>
> WE BELIEVE as we come to accept and act upon these
> values, WE WILL BE PREPARED to strengthen home and
> family, make and keep sacred covenants, receive
> the ordinances of the temple, and enjoy the
> blessings of exaltation.
> Repeat every Sunday for 6years
> #notacult

I'll make one correction if I may. Please replace the word "recite" with the word "chant." The church loves to have people chant things over and over again. Fucking cult!!

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: November 19, 2017 12:28PM

All of it triggers my gag reflex. It all seemed like a load of crap even then but I still thought there was something wrong with me for not being enthusiastic about this shit. If only I had
trusted my instincts more, but that's what the church does to
women,it grinds them down untill they have no esteem at all, especially not self esteem as evidenced by "Mother who knows" getting the crap beat out of her by her priesthood holding
husband. The church did a number on each of us by subliminally teaching we women that the responsibility for the happiness of
our marriage was on Us. How many bishops told grieving , beaten
women to go back into their mentally and physically abusive
marriages without saying one word to the husband. I've seen it
time and time again and lived it. The church treats women
like chattel and women feel it and live it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2017 02:24PM by saucie.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: November 19, 2017 03:34PM

Becca posted: "Fucking cult! I'll give you delightful service up your fucking priesthood ass!"

I'm sorry Becca, but your post is not very respectful of the wonderful priesthood men. Something must be wrong with you.

(I hope you recognize sarcasm when you see it.)

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: November 20, 2017 01:15PM

Oh no.. I see it now.. it's all my fault... I'll repent.. I promise.. thank you for pointing out my flaws..... back to relief society I go...

(AHAHAHHAHAHAA!!! yes I do get it don't worry)

Posted by: levantis ( )
Date: November 20, 2017 12:29PM

I had an image similar to Little House on the Prarie while reading this crap. A bunch of happy women in bonnets holding hands with inane smiles plastered on their faces, with nary a thought in their pretty little heads.

My mother has been so brainwashed by the church she never disagrees or challenges my dad on anything. It makes me sick.

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: November 20, 2017 12:36PM

Individuality is going to come out one way or another. You can't suppress a person endlessly.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: November 20, 2017 01:09PM

Or maybe all those sisters in Short Creek.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: November 20, 2017 10:48PM

No autonomy

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 21, 2017 08:08AM

Breed. Serve. Support male leadership.

Nothing about learning (reading church drivel is not real learning) and achieving in the world as an individual.

I can't believe women accept and perpetuate this crap in this day and age.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: November 21, 2017 08:35AM

"I can't believe women accept and perpetuate this crap in this day and age."

"Perpetuate". Isn't that the core? I can understand people getting suckered, or forced at a young age, into mormonism. I can't understand parents, that know the church is a fraud, steering their kids to the same fate.

Posted by: samwitch ( )
Date: November 21, 2017 09:47AM

If this is a mission statement for an organization, it's a pretty bad one. The RS was originally founded to help people in need and do charity, right? There's only one line in the "mission statement" about that, and it includes no specific actions -- like feeding the hungry, sheltering the homeless, clothing the naked, etc.

How things have changed:
Minutes of first RS meeting: purpose is first "that the Society of Sisters might provoke the brethren to good works in looking to the wants of the poor— searching after objects of charity, and in administering to their wants—" (josephsmithpapers.org)

Current mission statement: "Relief Society helps prepare women for the blessings of eternal life as they increase faith..." Helping those in need is still listed, but comes in dead last, after the bit about ordinances and covenants.

The focus is now on benefitting the members, who are really there to help themselves to eternal life; helping others seems to be an afterthought or just part of the way to get the big CK prize. I find that appalling.

The part about "sustaining the Priesthood" really makes me mad, though. That was never the original intention. In fact, the original statement seems to be geared towards getting the Priesthood to leave the sisters alone: "...by correcting the morals and strengthening the virtues of the female community, and save the Elders the trouble of rebuking; that they may give their time to other duties &c. in their public teaching."

To me, that reads like a tongue-in-cheek way of saying, "Hey, we're going to get these self-important jerks to stop policing us." JS even said he would "let them preside just as the Presidency, preside over the church; and if they need his instruction— ask him, he will give it from time to time." Very different to what goes on now!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.