Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Joined Facebook ( )
Date: November 19, 2017 06:13AM

Created a profile a couple of weeks ago on Facebook. One night some days ago I had a high alcohol blood level and ended up having conversations with people I had not talked to for years. At the moment everything felt fine but the day after I felt a bit worried. Like a regular hangover - what did I do last night?

So I inactivated my account but probably in a wrong way because yesterday I saw that the word had spread and there was a friend request from a person that was one of the greatest snoopers in the community and that I know have great skills when it comes to doxing people that goes "astray" in life.

So now I deleted my account. It was not worth it I do not want to talk to the community 14 years after leaving it.

Anyone else experinced the same?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 19, 2017 08:18AM

Wow. I understand why you deleted your account. In the future, if you want to try again, be mindful that you have complete control over who you do or do not accept as a FB friend.

People use FB in various ways. For instance it can be used as a blend of business networking and keeping up socially with friends and acquaintances. Some people who post on FB get very political or very religious.

I (along with my friends,) keep FB very PG, and most of us keep it largely religion-free or with just a few religious posts here and there. We post photos and tell about our life with family, activities, and friends. If I want to talk a little more intimately, I use the Messenger PM feature. And if I have things to say where I don't want a written record, I pick up the phone instead. IMO you should keep your FB posts clean enough that they could pass muster with an employer or potential employer.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2017 05:06AM by summer.

Date: November 20, 2017 04:44AM

I will probably start a completely new profile in the future and keep a lower profile. Feel no urgency at the moment to join social media. But this episode gave me some new knowledge so it was not a wasted moment. It was like having all the people knocking on the door to my house.

Posted by: PasteBook ( )
Date: November 19, 2017 08:39AM

Yeah. People tend to see and hear only that which they are willing to see and hear.

Stuff from PasteBook goes viral all the time. Since when was catching and passing on a virus a good thing?

Even the "funny" stuff carries an expectation that an e-item now defines our collective sense of humor. If I don't find humor in it, too, something's wrong with me, right? You should see them "turn off" when I tell them I dont FB. It's almost as bad as putting baby jesus in a jar of piss.

Back when there were only dial-up modems and "social media" was the reason one wiped the public toilet seat prior to using it, I drunkenly called an old friend with whom there had been a slightly acrimonious split. The dunken haze wanted to reconnect with someone I had once cared about. The next day, I realized that I had been pumped for details and wrongly accused of other things.

So much for "auld acquaintances."

Isn't a friend someone with whom intimate life details are exchanged? I don't think it's a button to be clicked, or boxes o be check-marked. I neither need or want 500 "followers," calling themselves my "friends."

Last time I checked, "friend" was a noun, and "befriending" had to be done in person.

The whole thing is so cult-like.

Date: November 20, 2017 04:47AM

Yeah it is so superficial.

Many of these people really showed tough love back in the days and that was why I left them. Probably they just want to add me to the "friend"-list as a number-asset or as someone they can "help" again with their tough love.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: November 20, 2017 08:45AM

I went onto Fakebook, to catch up on some acquaintences, who are LDS mission presidents. They told me that mission presidents are required to have a Fakebook page, and a blog site on it for missionaries. I was amazed at how many Mormon acquaintances were on Fakebook--and none of my non-Mormon friends were.

I had to sign up, in order to view people's pages.

While I was browsing, there were little windows, offering me to click and gain some "friends," that were "friends" of the person's page I was reading. One click offered 750 "friends". Another offered 400, etc. These people would have been strangers, but I would have been instantly very popular!

Every one of the people who conned me were on Fakebook, promoting themselves as something they were not. They call it "branding" yourself, in order to network and sell yourself.

Quitting Fakebook was like quitting the Mormon cult. They said I could not have my name "erased", but would remain on there forever, in temporarily suspended status, but ready to resume posting at any time.

The next day, my e-mail was barraged with people wanting to be my "friend." All of them were Mormons! I really got a feeling that the Mormons dominate Fakebook. Is that true?

Posted by: AfraidOfMormons ( )
Date: November 20, 2017 08:47AM

Just say "no" to Facebook. It's just another way to be love-bombed and shunned by Mormons.

Posted by: PasteBook ( )
Date: November 20, 2017 10:17AM

No, not true. Some FB algorithm identified you as having an interest in Mormonism based on pages you searched, viewed (or liked), and so you were inundated with all things Mormon.

I created a totally fake name to use for comments where a FB login was once required, and sometimes (not often) that can be the easiest way to log into an unrelated site. Any logged-in comments can become a part of that algorithm. I created a gmail, reddit, disqus, twitter, etc., all using that same fake name, and they can "algorithm" the hell out of me if they want, but since I never actually login to FB to view FB, I don't care.

Create a fake account, and tell it as little about yourself as possible, and lie heavily. Start viewing any other subject, and you could soon be of the belief that FB "is dominated by" [that subject]. "Seeeee? Oh, my, what a "popular" subject, and just look how "popular" you can be, too!" Just check out all the ads (FB tithing) selling you all things [your subject].

Creepy, creepy, creepy.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.