Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: namarod ( )
Date: December 08, 2017 09:47AM

http://www.sltrib.com/religion/local/2017/12/08/pressure-builds-for-byu-to-scrap-its-beard-ban-but-if-it-does-dont-expect-the-mormon-school-to-become-a-haven-for-the-unshaven/

The whole no-beard policy just shows how the morg and it's surrogate schools have cult-like control over it's students.

I'm a BYU Alumni, Class of 1984. During the summer break, I grew a beard. I had to go to the Administration Building to take care of some items for the upcoming fall semester. When I went up to the window, the employee said she would not help me until I shaved off my beard. I remember saying to her, "Are you fricking kidding me! I'm out of school on summer break and I'll shave off my beard when I start the fall semester." She continued to deny me service. I asked to speak to her supervisor. Luckily, he was more accommodating and told the lady to help me. This whole incident really pissed me off and I wanted to transfer to another university. Unfortunately, I only had three semesters left until I graduated, so I just sucked it up and finished my degree.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mootman ( )
Date: December 08, 2017 09:58AM

I did grad work at the Y and I proudly strutted my beard as much as possible. Never had a problem
Of course I never had to use the normal offices or the testing center or anything. They needed me as free labor to teach their bratty sophomores so they gave me a pass I guess

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 08, 2017 10:00AM

The Amish and similar groups froze their culture at around the 1750s, with grudging accommodations to modernity.

The LDS have done the same thing, except they froze their culture at 1950. They don't yet look as "distinctive" as the religious sects that chose to freeze at a 1700s culture, but that is mostly because the 1950s are not far enough in the past yet.

The FLDS froze their culture at about the Brigham Young era which makes them more recognizable, though not at Amish levels.

And yes, it's all silly and basically just a marker of tribal affiliation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2017 10:01AM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 08, 2017 10:53AM

I started growing my mustache on the way home from the Idaho Gulag AKA Ricks College in May of 1967. I have never shaved it off.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: December 10, 2017 09:39PM

Did you shave in the car?

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: December 11, 2017 03:44PM

He didn't/ doesn't shave. What's the use? It just grows back... like the grass and weeds and consciousness.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: December 08, 2017 11:35AM

I'd show them something they don't like to see - a middle finger - and say grow this!

M@t

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: December 09, 2017 08:17PM

For contrast, the Bob Jones "University" Handbook:

http://www.bju.edu/life-faith/student-handbook.pdf

• Facial hair—Students are to shave each morning. Students with upperclassman privileges and graduate students may have facial hair that is fully grown in prior to the start of the semester, neatly trimmed and well maintained at approximately ½ inch or less.

So, the "University" of Bob Jones is more liberal than the "University" of Brigham Young???

Whodathunkit...

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: December 10, 2017 02:27AM

not because she wanted to, but because her parents would pay for it.

She told me that the place was so repressive that the students were not allowed to ask questions in class - at ALL. Not even to clarify a point.

I found that rather shocking. Is that really considered "higher education?" Higher than WHAT??

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 12, 2017 11:54AM

Nobody except Bob Jones University ever considered Bob Jones University "higher education..."

I have to give Bob Jones U. credit for one thing, though...when the IRS revoked their tax-exempt status in 1975, the decision reverberated through the religious-college community (it was revoked over their racism cloaked as "religious belief"), and was one of the things that led the morg to have the 1978 "revelation" about blacks and the priesthood. They didn't want to suffer the same fate as Bob Jones U.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: December 14, 2017 06:08AM

moremany Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'd show them something they don't like to see - a
> middle finger - and say grow this!
>
> M@t

This is hilarious!! Great response!

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 10, 2017 12:09PM

I found it disturbing that women coeds at BYU aren't allowed to wear culottes even if they were at or below knee length. There was a 2" restriction on hemlines over the knees for skirts, and no slits in skirts or dresses were allowed (including slits in maxi or midi length skirts/dresses.) Some styles need the slit so the woman can move freely.

It was so outlandish and repressive it was just one more reason I had zero desire to attend college there during my undergrad years. My singles ward at college was hard enough for me to process as an undergrad at a state university. If I'd been in a church college for four years of that would have been tantamount to torture.

Posted by: Backseater ( )
Date: December 12, 2017 11:37AM

Date: December 13, 2017 01:44PM

Date: December 14, 2017 02:04PM

Great minds think alike, baura...:)

How come yours appears above mine, though, when mine was posted two hours before yours? Hmm?

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: December 14, 2017 02:35PM

Baura's was posted on 12/12, your's was posted on 12/13.
That might be the reason ;-)

Date: December 14, 2017 02:42PM

Oops.
I swear, though, baura's wasn't there when I posted!
Or I could have had a 'senior moment...' :(

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: December 14, 2017 09:51AM

I would have used the prescription of a doctor who could write that U had to have a beard because of a "skin condition'! LOL.
Once at Fort Knox, KY in the summer of '65 a doctor wrote a scrip for me ordering that I should wear the baseball cap instead of the helmet liner ordered by the commandant. He thought the commandant was nuts. So, I once sat in the stands with about 1000 other cadets who all had on the helmet liners, except me. I had poison ivy on my head. I also had it on my hand and it was oozing and the commandant took my hand before I could warn him during a reception!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.