Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rubi123 ( )
Date: December 11, 2017 02:31PM

I don't particularly care for the "ripped jeans" look that I'm currently seeing around town.

Today, at the public school where I work, two women (faculty members) were talking and joking about how their ripped jeans showed small patches of their garments peeking through from underneath. But, they were saying, it doesn't show any markings so it's ok.

I didn't say anything, just laughed along with them. They both know I'm not LDS and maybe they felt quite righteous and smug being around a sinner such as myself. I wanted to tell them that I'd rather die than wear those hideous underwear, and that they looked unprofessional and shitty in those ripped and patched jeans. Missed opportunity but better to keep the peace. :)

Earlier this year, when one of them told me that so-and-so had gone on a senior mission, I started laughing and commented on what a horrible time to be a mission, given the prevalence of access to the internet. She didn't seem to get what I meant.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 11, 2017 04:30PM

That just seems odd they would even go there (wearing ripped jeans over garments.)

To me it sounds tacky.

To each their own.

That would be against dress codes at church colleges.

They sound like they're on a second childhood? Working in a public school there are always going to be those who when around juveniles can't help but behave as some themselves.

If I saw anyone wearing holy, torn jeans with funny white underwear showing out from under I'd wonder what planet they're from? Ripped jeans are worn to show skin, not garments beneath.

Weird style concept.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2017 04:39PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: You Too? ( )
Date: December 11, 2017 05:36PM

And if they sagged, you could see the waist band.

God, that makes me hot.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 11, 2017 06:18PM

I'm not a fan of teachers wearing jeans on regular school days, never mind ripped jeans (the occasional messy project or field trip might dictate otherwise.) IMO teachers need to strike a balance between clothing that is comfortable, practical, and sturdy, but can also convey a professional appearance. On a normal day I wear twill pants, a knit top, and a sweater that are color-coordinated.

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: December 12, 2017 09:24AM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm not a fan of teachers wearing jeans on regular
> school days, never mind ripped jeans (the
> occasional messy project or field trip might
> dictate otherwise.) IMO teachers need to strike a
> balance between clothing that is comfortable,
> practical, and sturdy, but can also convey a
> professional appearance. On a normal day I wear
> twill pants, a knit top, and a sweater that are
> color-coordinated.

I couldn’t agree more. I teach at a community college, and most of our students are from economically disadvantaged backgrounds; it’s partly for that reason that I always dress professionally for work, since so many of our students have not grown up with role models for how to dress appropriately for work. I have a very nice colleague who occasionally wears heavily ripped jeans when teaching, and I think it looks horribly unprofessional (not to mention that it shows disrespect to the students we are teaching).

Plus, I might add that the ripped jeans I own all ripped on their own after I’d been wearing them many years...I can’t understand paying to get that look! I always thought the ripped loOk was cool because it shows you’ve owned and loved a pair of jeans for a long time, not because you’d bought them off the rack that way.

Date: December 12, 2017 05:19PM

Some teachers have really started to dress casually the past few years. I'm in IT, so I get to wear nice jeans on a daily basis (sometimes I have to crawl around on the floor, connecting network cables and such). But if I were a teacher I think I'd try to class things up a bit. ;)

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 17, 2017 09:45AM

I'm so glad a majority of teachers don't do the ripped jeans look in favor of more professionalism.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: December 11, 2017 07:11PM

hnnnnnng ~

~ in 4 links to pics ~

not srs ~

er ~ wait ~ nevermind ~

semi-srs ~

Posted by: samwitch ( )
Date: December 11, 2017 07:42PM

I'm a teacher, too. Their clothing choice is unprofessional in so many ways. Garments are UNDERWEAR. Even if they want to flaunt their religion, have they considered it might make students uncomfortable to see their slinky white knee-length undies through the ripped jeans?

Check if there is a faculty dress code set by your school or the district. I'd bet these women are in violation; if so, you can and should report them. Their fashion aesthetics might even be considered sexual harassment.

If you don't fear political retaliation, reach out to the principal as well. I don't know any principal who'd be ok with staff or faculty flashing their underwear at school.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: December 12, 2017 05:02PM

Ripped Jeans are ugly.

MORmON Garments are much more ugly than ripped jeans, very ugly.

MORmON Garments as observed through ripped jeans is ugly on ugly, ugly of ugly, compound ugliness.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: December 12, 2017 05:18PM

The ripped jeans are generally more expensive to buy.
Guess you are paying for someone's knowledge where to cut and rip them, lol.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: December 12, 2017 06:03PM

Elyse Wrote:
> The ripped jeans are generally more expensive to
> buy.
> Guess you are paying for someone's knowledge
> where to cut and rip them, lol.

LMAO!

That's so true, and has been for several years, unfortunately. "Ethnic appropriation" is now a no-no among the radically chic, but this has always struck me as "economic class appropriation," the well-to-do aping the appearance of the working class. It started, I think, in the late 1970s when Calvin Klein and Ralph Lauren advertised their sand-washed & pre-stressed jeans in very up-scale settings. "Look how down-to-earth I am, exercising my polo pony!" they seemed to say. "I could easily afford new pants, but I'm so 'real' I keep wearing these 'old' ones--which I bought last week."

Do LDS hipsters show how street savvy and spiritual they are by wearing their jeans down at the hip, exposing 5 inches of garment?

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: December 14, 2017 02:07PM

Not at Old Navy. Ripped jeans cost the same as nonripped jeans.

I'm sorry to see all the hate for ripped jeans. I like them.

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: December 12, 2017 06:41PM

I would tell them they are acting like fools and if they want basic respect from students then act like an adult not a teen at a rock concert . I cannot believe the principal/administration would allow this type of clothing on a regular basis .

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 14, 2017 02:16PM

I buy his jeans or he'd be wearing worse than the ripped jeans. My son needed a tooth pulled and my ex told me to make sure he didn't wear those horrible ripped jeans to the dentist. I told him to look around. My ex just thought he was dressing like a slob. I think he looks just fine in them. I bought most of them at T.J. Maxx for $8 a pair on the clearance rack. If I buy them from the place he likes the clothes (which I can't remember the name of right now), they are $40 a pair. He really likes the ones I got at T.J. Maxx. He wears black womens' leggins underneath as he doesn't like to show his legs.

As far as wearing them as teachers to school, that surprises me. I'm surprised the principal hasn't asked them to not wear them. Showing off the garments seems to be a fashion statement around Utah.

Date: December 14, 2017 02:59PM

It cracks me up to think of a boy, probably a teenager, wearing women’s leggings beneath ripped jeans to avoid showing his leg.

Quite a fashion statement!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2017 02:59PM by rubi123.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 15, 2017 01:31PM

My son is kind of like me. We don't like showing much skin. If others notice, then I don't know what they might think. I actually understand him feeling that way. By the way, my son is 32--not a teenager.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2017 01:33PM by cl2.

Posted by: Birddog ( )
Date: December 14, 2017 06:23PM

I thought about this thread as I put on my ripped jeans to go give my high schoolers their final today. Most days I dress business casual but I think it is ok to show them you are paying attention to their style and not totally oblivious. I also read their books - Twighlight when that was what they were all reading and then The Hunger Games. I watch some of what they watch too. I care enough about them to pay attention and try to understand their teenage world.

Date: December 15, 2017 09:55AM

The job of a High School teacher is to teach students about the adult world they will soon enter. Ripped Jeans are very inappropriate for any teacher to wear. It may also be your responsibility to introduce them to books that have value,not garbage like freaking Twilite . Hemingway and Stienbeck come to mind. Teachers outside of the USA are respected and the main reason is they act like professional ADULTS. Do you wanted to be a respected teacher or a glorified babysitter?

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: December 15, 2017 04:07PM

Except that the great authors of the Western canon are being rejected wholesale--too white, sexist, racist, patrician, oppressive, or something. I read how in an English department at a college, Shakespeare was taken off the wall and replaced with Audre Lorde.

For those of you not familiar with her, check out:

Lorde of the Flies: Why College Students Reject Reason

If you can get through or around the Journal's paywall :-(

The cultural anarchy that's going on is sickening. Ripped jeans are the least of it. Pay more for ripped jeans? What a rip-off!!

Posted by: Birddog ( )
Date: December 15, 2017 09:41PM

I never said I taught them Twighlight - I teach them the Phillips curve and marginal propensity to consume. I do it WELL. My students pass the AP exam at rate 20 points above the national average. In order to teach them you have to understand them. It helps to know what they are talking about, to be aware of what music they listen to and what movies they see. You can't teach them about being ab adult if you don't understand them.

Date: December 16, 2017 04:50AM

What is to understand ? They enjoy crap books like Twilight.I guess I don't see the connection between teenage pop culture and teaching . I do see teachers acting like morons when they do things like wear ripped jeans .Do you also hang out at the mall, take selfies , and listen to really bad hip hop like Little Wayne ? Perhaps I am old fashioned but if being Mr. Adolescent Hipster works for you then go for it.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: December 19, 2017 09:32AM

You are about ten years behind the trends. Little Wayne? Seriously? Twilight? Sooooo passé.

Date: December 21, 2017 07:53AM

I do not care to be up to the minute on teen pop culture . This has absolutly nothing to do with teaching math, biology, health . This may come into discussion in sociology if discussing fad and mob mentality. If someone can explain how a teacher is a better teacher by knowing a lot about current teen pop culture then I am open to that explanation

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: December 16, 2017 12:50PM

I like your style.

I do have to wonder if the goal is to teach high schoolers to be adults. Adults like Mormons are adults? Adults like adults who get hung up on style? My own experience is that people 18 and younger Often display more wisdom, insight, curiosity and passion then the so-called adults. My hope is that younger people grow up to continue to develop those qualities rather than to become adults.

So I love that you can wear a pair of torn jeans to school and pass on your knowledge without judging on unimportant matters. We need more teachers like you ( though I can appreciate a teacher who makes a different choice of dress as well – if they can avoid the judgment of others who choose differently).

Date: December 16, 2017 12:55PM

To a degree I understand what you are saying. With middle schoolers and high schoolers in particular, you want to have some knowledge of their culture. My school system even includes a few cultural references in the curriculum. Even elementary students appreciate a teacher asking about their favorite bands and TV shows. I remember a number of years ago, my students and I had a running joke about Justin Bieber.

I still wouldn't wear ripped jeans on a school day, though. I strive for business casual. When I first went into teaching more than 20 years ago, you saw more teachers dressing up in dresses and suits. Now business casual is more the norm. Certain younger teachers often wear jeans, but that is normally too casual for me.

Date: December 16, 2017 12:50PM

>>Teachers outside of the USA are respected and the main reason is they act like professional ADULTS.

I disagree. I think respect for teachers is cultural in nature. The current culture of the U.S. is that teachers are not respected.

Date: December 17, 2017 03:41PM

The American public needs to wake up. When they diminish teachers, they undermine their effectiveness and that hurts students.

Date: December 19, 2017 10:59AM

I'd never thought of it quite like that! How right you are.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: December 15, 2017 10:05AM

I also believe that ripped jeans are inappropriate for teachers.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 15, 2017 02:36PM

Ripped disco pants never did take off...

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: December 15, 2017 06:46PM

Wait: you're old enough to remember Disco?

Old Dog, indeed :)

Posted by: ProvoXCE ( )
Date: December 16, 2017 06:35AM

Have some understanding, after tithing settlement there probably wasn't much left for replacement jeans...

Date: December 16, 2017 01:35PM

How unprofessional, especially if their underwear in showing through the holes. Sheesh!

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: December 21, 2017 12:33AM

Cheryl Wrote:
> How unprofessional, especially if their underwear
> in showing through the holes. Sheesh!

My wife and I agree 100%. Teachers wish to be treated and paid as professionals. Many dress and conduct themselves as such. It doesn't help to have buffoons such as these two in the field. They're a discredit both to their faith and to their field.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: December 21, 2017 12:58AM

Most people at churches around here except for LDS churches don't care what anyone wears. They're just happy that people attend. Wearing ripped jeans to church is one thing. Wearing ripped jeans to work when one is a teacher is quite another matter. I would assume these two LDS teachers would be scandalized if anyone wore ripped jeans to their wards' Sacrament Meetings, yet they're fine wearing them to teach even when their garments are on display as long as the symbols aren't showing. If it were considered fashionable to rub animal excrement on their jeans, would these people come to work smeared in dog feces? Probably.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2017 12:59AM by scmd.

Posted by: fluhist not logged in ( )
Date: December 20, 2017 10:26PM

I couldn't agree more. I tutor at a university and I work with Australian Aboriginal people. For them a teacher is a position to respect.

Most university students are struggling financially, so I do not dress 'over the top' expensively (to be honest that would be difficult for me financially), but always dress neatly, with clothing suitable to the weather and my age. I usually wear a scarf or nice piece of costume jewelery to 'dress up' my outfit a little and look professional.

I feel I am showing them an example of how to dress professionally (which many of them will need to do when they graduate) and also showing their culture respect in being an
'elder' (not the mormon kind, I am female) and a teacher.

They wear jeans and t-shirts which look fine on them, but I wear dress pants (mostly cheaper than jeans which are ridiculously expensive here), blouses, and while I make my own sweatshirts I make sure they are colour co-ordinated, trimmed nicely, and smart casual.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: December 21, 2017 12:28AM

On the rare occasions that we go to the Presbyterian church, (we may go on Christmas Eve) I wear my jeans, but with a dressy sweater, diamond stud earrings, and very dressy boots. Nobody seems to have a problem with that. I literally don't own anything else any more, except for what I call "my funeral suit," a Navy-blue skirted suit that is kept for Mormon funerals.

My jeans are in good condition, nicely-fitting, $59 per pair from L L Bean. I don't feel that I need to apologize to anybody for wearing them. They aren't even the pre-faded kind. They can be dressed up or down, depending on tops and footwear.

Also, I am barely ambulatory any more, so I can get away with a lot.

Date: December 21, 2017 12:45PM

It's the ripped aspect and the underwear showing through that sounds inappropriate for public school teachers or other professionals.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.