Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: December 12, 2017 01:14PM

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/12/11/opinion/truth-matters-trump-fake-news.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=opinion-c-col-right-region&region=opinion-c-col-right-region&WT.nav=opinion-c-col-right-region&_r=0&referer=android-app://m.facebook.com

Excellent Op-Ed in NYT re: Truth, in this "Fake News" (gaslit) era.
Seems like the real culture war is between objective truth and fantasy.
Who do you believe, me or your lying eyes/ears/mind?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: December 12, 2017 01:41PM

Excellent read. Thanks for posting. I especially liked this quote:

, I’ve navigated with the aid of a newspaperman’s North Star: the conviction that there is such a thing as objective truth that can be discovered and delivered through dispassionate hard work and passionate good faith, and that the product of that effort, if thoroughly documented, would be accepted as the truth.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: December 12, 2017 03:23PM

Mormonism is not about truth. It's about belief. They don't do
what is needed to determine truth, they do what is effective in
creating belief. When you unload truth on Mormons, they respond
by bearing their testimony about how strongly they believe.

Truth is tree-stump in their belief-field they have to plow around.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2017 03:26PM by baura.

Posted by: grudunza ( )
Date: December 13, 2017 09:09AM

Well said.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: December 12, 2017 03:32PM

I read that op-ed this morning. I think as ex-Mormons we've come to an earlier realization that some people don't care about the truth if it conflicts with their identity.

It's still somewhat shocking to me that when you leave Mormonism, so few people (Mormon ones at least) want to know why. I've heard others express similar puzzlement about that.

The truth just isn't emotionally satisfying or something for some folks.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: December 12, 2017 03:48PM

.....their (MORmON) version of the truth....

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: December 12, 2017 05:20PM

"Some things that are true are not very useful"
-Boyd K. Packer

So I would have to answer your question "No".

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 12, 2017 05:38PM

NOPE!

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: December 12, 2017 05:38PM

Indoctrination by the MormonCult "trains" the members to believe truth does not refer at all to real reality but rather to what the church defines as truth. If the MormonCult says to disregard such and such because it is not useful to building testimonies, then bam! it's out the door.

Makes me think of the time that Joseph Fielding Smith tore a page out from a book that revealed a version of the first vision which he did not want known.

Yep, this is how it works. Ole sleazy Joe used it over and over, beginning with his conning folks out of money over and over, failing to find the loot he said was buried in that certain spot. The truth to Joey was what he wanted it to be, and he used his gawd to help convince folks that gawd was his best friend who had his back.

Remember it was Joey who brought up polygamy with his gawd, not the other way around. I think it went something like this --

Joey liked the girls, literally, young, pretty, and naive. Sooo, he called on gawd (or said he did). "Hey there gawd, I think its time for polygamy and strike down that there Mr. William Jones who gets in my, oh I mean, your way, if you disagree."

Soon Joey was off to the polygamy races that fast....no, off to the bedrooms, and, as sometimes happens in this world, it is only too sad he was not off to prison pronto also.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2017 05:40PM by presleynfactsrock.

Posted by: severedpuppetstrings ( )
Date: December 12, 2017 05:54PM

Of course not. They go with the "warm fuzzies" feelings...

Posted by: Old Name Levi ( )
Date: December 12, 2017 07:03PM

A good number of active Mormons know that their church is built upon lies and fraud.

They simply don't care, because they (and often their families) benefit and profit directly from keeping the con going to fleece others.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 13, 2017 05:38AM

It’s a tax exempt real estate empire. The reason the Q15 never say anything substantive? Plausible deniability.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: December 13, 2017 08:21AM

Good call.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 13, 2017 03:26PM

Tribal (unbelieving) mormons can get a lot out of mormonism, so 'playing the game' has a genuine, valued benefit. Plus, it's really the only game in town for the BIC, who probably wouldn't fit in as well in some other tribe.

If wealth is accumulated, being rich in mormonism is going to be lot easier, and psychically more rewarding to them than trying to play that game as an apostate.

I'm sure many of you will agree, it takes a rare kind of intelligence and force of will to plumb the depths of mormonism's deceptions and then turn your back on it, knowing the price that may have to be paid.

Kudos to all of you who thought your way out!

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: December 13, 2017 08:19AM

They never cared about the real truth throughout my life, they just love what they have and stomping on anybody they see as a threat. Hell even i got lost in escapism and fantasy to get away from them. Fantasy produces more fantasy is what i learned. They would rather die in the fantasy trust me on that one it is all they have, as they go to the temple in a walker, and watch a pre-scripted conference at 92 years old and pretend it is legit still.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: December 13, 2017 08:43AM

For some Mormons the truch doesn't matter. The church is too much a part of their life. Even if they disagree with something, some luke warm members enjoy each other's company and continue to go. They may dislike a few members, enjoy their "clic" group and like some sundays over others.

The church is a club that asks more from its members than other church clubs.

Posted by: Bruce A Holt ( )
Date: December 13, 2017 03:04PM

Truth has been debated endlessly.

Fact, however, is provable.

Fact: Joseph Smith, Jr. was a fraud.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 13, 2017 03:58PM

Every definition I can find for truth contains the phrase, " . . . conforming to fact and reality."

People talk truth as in "my truth" versus "your truth." The say things like "What is true for me . . ." which is a warning right there that what they are about to say next has nothing to do with "conforming to any fact or reality."

Truth does not change. Our perception of it can and does but the underlying facts and reality of truth, unlike Mormon god, really are the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow. The earth always revolved around the sun even when we thought the opposite.

Mormons and others conveniently use the word truth in place of belief, opinion, hopes, dreams, and wishes. How else are you going to consider yourself superior when there is nothing superior about you?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.