Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: December 17, 2017 01:33PM

Tennessee Pastor Greg Locke has something to say to all those “New Atheists” out there: You’re only mad at God because you secretly believe in Him:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2017/12/16/tn-pastor-atheists-fight-god-because-they-secretly-believe-in-him/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 17, 2017 01:37PM

wait... I secretly believe in ghawd, which results in sufficient anger to cause me to deny his existence??

yo no comprendo...

Posted by: Concrete Zipper ( )
Date: December 17, 2017 01:42PM

Este pastor tiene en su cabeza nada mas que queso.

Date: December 17, 2017 01:53PM

Mira nomás! El mero mero, CZ, tambièn paso dos años en un país mas al sur que el nuestro!

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: December 18, 2017 11:47PM

Todo podrido. Tristeza.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: December 17, 2017 01:43PM

"We" are not fighting against God. "We" are "fighting" against those who insist that we must believe in God.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: December 18, 2017 02:59AM

I pray the Atheist Prayer: "God, save me from your followers."

Posted by: Pissed Angel ( )
Date: December 17, 2017 02:21PM

I'm not "mad at" any god. I'm sickened by those who claim that they speak for their version of a god.

They cobble together unrelated snippets of scripture, or use those snippets out of context, snippets written by other unidentified humans also claiming direct knowledge of their version of a god. These speakers portend things unknowable, both great and small, in quest of earthly greatness.

How can anyone remain neutral in the face of their overwhelming bs?

And, wonder of wonder, someone who claims to know the mind of god will have no qualms in claiming to know the (collective?) minds of atheists.

I don't fight or resent any god. I can't say the same about a lying-ass, money-grubbing bullshitter. This particular bullshitter can't tell the difference, which speaks more to his nature than to mine.

Individuals, believe whatever they will. To pick up a mic and start spewing it for money, they are taking off the gloves.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 17, 2017 05:12PM

How does one fight a make-believe character ?

Date: December 17, 2017 05:25PM

with a light saber/sabre!

Posted by: Luke Skywalker ( )
Date: December 18, 2017 01:34AM

That's because he's a candy ass.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 17, 2017 06:35PM

That statement says more about his need for everyone to believe the same as he does.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: December 17, 2017 07:32PM

It's the same tactic for all those who have a vested interest in keeping the deluded in the fold so the leaders can continue to prosper off member's money and support.

"They left because they: want to sin, are lazy, were offended, are mad at God...."

If they give any time whatsoever to discussing the idea that God might not exist or their religious rituals are nothing more than hollow superstitions, they open the window to serious critical thinking. Once that happens they seriously risk losing a lot of sheeple.

My favorite is: "They only THINK they are happy" a close second is: "Doubt your doubts". Nothing like gaslighting the faithful so they are actually afraid of thinking for themselves.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: December 18, 2017 01:03AM

The "God" dude is no different.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2017 01:04AM by steve benson.

Posted by: Visitors Welcome ( )
Date: December 18, 2017 06:06AM

I've always heard it as "atheists just hate gods". No we don't, we just don't think they exist.

Some believers cannot understand how anyone can NOT believe, so they come up with bogus theories that only make sense in their own twisted mind. They just can't think outside the box.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: December 18, 2017 09:02AM

It's the gotcha moment in the movie "God Is Not Dead" where the christian protagonist turns the table on the atheist antagonist (the professor who threatens to flunk the protagonist if he fails to proof to his philosophy class that God exists). During the course of their debate, the professor becomes unhinged by the student's faith in the face of the professor's arguments. When the professor flies into a rage, the protagonist smugly asks the professor how he could be so angry with God if he doesn't exist.

I've seen the movie twice now because it is one of my wife's favorite faith-promoting movies, but it is insufferable in it's obvious manipulation and straw men arguments; particularly the bit about "how can you hate a God you don't believe exists" argument.

What drives me crazy with people who like the movie is that they don't see the manipulation and cite the plot elements of the movie as proof of God and how he loves us. Case in point, throughout the course of the movie, a side plot develops where a pair of ministers are repeatedly delayed by car trouble for a trip they had planned for weeks. Their trip was delayed long enough so that they would be on the scene at the very moment the atheist professor is fatally struck by a car. With his dying breath he admits that he does believe in God and asks the ministers to pray for him.

Sorry for the rant. My anger is not at God, but a poorly-written script.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2017 09:09AM by GregS.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: December 19, 2017 09:06AM

Thanks for the re-cap on that book/movie. I knew I wasn't going to read or see it.

I never want to get 100% inside my atheist bubble the way I was 100% in the Mormon bubble.

Venturing out into the Christian mindset is often bash head into the wall painful.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: December 19, 2017 09:49AM

Yeah, I groaned each time my wife suggested we pop the movie in the DVD player. There are similar movies that have come out recently that she is eager to watch with me.

The annoying thing about "message" movies like this is that the message is at the complete mercy of the director and script writer. The audience sees only what they director wants it to see, and it is so easy for the audience to start nodding along and accepting the director's message as objective truth.

Thus the scene with the ministers miraculously being on hand, due to divine intervention, to pray for the atheist as he finally sees the light with his dying breath.

Even though everything was choreographed by the director to reach this emotional and religious climax, my wife takes her emotional reaction as proof that that is how God truly acts in our daily lives. She gets angry with me when I point out that that is simply how the script is written, and that she is reacting precisely how the director wanted her to react...the story isn't real and was told in a way guaranteed to pull at her emotional heartstrings. Kind of like Mormonism.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 18, 2017 09:35AM

Christians fight against the FSM because they secretly believe in him.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 18, 2017 10:06AM

It’s twoo! I just felt the touch of His noodley appendage.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 18, 2017 10:22AM

This sounds a bit like "Air Guitar."

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: December 18, 2017 10:37AM

Like Gandhi said, "I like yoir Christ. I just wish Christians were more like him."

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: December 19, 2017 04:31PM

"Atheism is nothing. It is not a philosophy, a moral guide or even a world view. Atheism wouldn't exist without theism." Sam Harris, The Problem with Atheism

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2017 04:32PM by koriwhore.

Posted by: waunderdog ( )
Date: December 18, 2017 02:18PM

Does this mean believers in the biblical god are fighting the gods of all the other religions because they secretly believe in them?

Posted by: Visitors Welcome ( )
Date: December 18, 2017 02:58PM

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: December 18, 2017 11:50PM

At this stage of my life, I'm more into indifference.

God? Meh.

Religion? Meh.

Posted by: The_Documentor ( )
Date: December 18, 2017 04:50PM

Let's see...a hillbilly pastor, probably an evangenital? It's impossible for such people to think straight. Their thinking is entirely warped, making it impossible for them to imagine the way a normal person thinks.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: December 18, 2017 11:59PM

Those who protest the loudest are guilty of that which they are protesting against.

Isn’t that the same premise used to out pastors who seemed to be, well, ladies protesting a little too much?

(Like Freud, Adler was up on his Shakespeare, me thinks)

Human

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 19, 2017 09:20AM

Human, are you saying this pastor secretly believes in atheists??? Oh, the heresy!!

:)

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: December 19, 2017 10:28AM

Him?? Never have seen, nor ever want to see the genitals of any deity in order to determine its gender. Although thoughts about Vishnu unclothed have entered a few fantasies.

HH =)

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: December 19, 2017 02:53PM

I’m sure it gives him great comfort to believe that.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.