Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: AdminQuestion ( )
Date: December 18, 2017 12:39AM

I saw a post yesterday with a link to a story about dead dunking (can't find it now). Anyway, in the comments pro-mormon folks were claiming that now to submit a name for dead dunking, it must be submitted by an immediate family member (parent, sibling, child), or that they must have permission from the same.

Is this true?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: December 18, 2017 12:45AM

AdminQuestion Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I saw a post yesterday with a link to a story
> about dead dunking (can't find it now). Anyway, in
> the comments pro-mormon folks were claiming that
> now to submit a name for dead dunking, it must be
> submitted by an immediate family member (parent,
> sibling, child), or that they must have permission
> from the same.
>
> Is this true?

It would be really nice if it were true. It still wouldn't solve some problems. One of my sisters-in-law is from a part-Mormon family, and her mother would never have wanted to have temple work done for her, but it was because of sister-in-law's zealot sister.

The bottom line to me is that it's a lot of meaningless mumbo jumbo, but some people are really insulted by the idea, and they have every right to feel the way they do and not to have temple work done for them.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: December 18, 2017 01:18AM

Since when has the Morg asked for permission to do anything? It’s always been, “Emma, dear, there was this angel with a big sword who COMMANDED ME to play hide the sausage in sister Kimball’s bun!” I doubt Helen signed a letter of consent.

Posted by: edzachery ( )
Date: December 19, 2017 02:43PM

BYU Boner Wrote:
> “Emma, dear, there was this angel with a big sword who
>COMMANDED ME to play hide the sausage in sister Kimball’s
> bun!”

Swear to gawd, Boner, that is effing hilarious.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: December 20, 2017 01:32AM

Hahaha i am laughing pretty hard at that one boner, no pun intended. That was good. All the best excuses start with "some angel with a flaming sword appeared in my bedroom" haha.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: December 18, 2017 01:30AM

That has been the rule for a long time, which the church follows faithfully, except when it doesn't. That's why they are doing indexing- hardly a serious attempt to contact the candidate's family members before submitting the names. It is another of the dirty little secrets of Mormonism.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 18, 2017 01:39AM

They've been baptizing anyone, anywhere for as long as they've gotten away with it.

If the policy's changed, please do tell.

The only exception to that I'm aware of was a 1995 pronouncement that the cult would no longer baptize Holocaust victims. And then turned a blind eye while it furtively did repetitive work of at least some that we know of like Anne Frank, until it was called on the carpet to cease and desist yet again.

There's some clause to say family members can only submit the names of deceased loved ones. But the church has been on a worldwide name gathering mission to perform dead baptisms for nearly two centuries.

Against the wishes of many who are deceased and their living families, these rituals continue to be performed. If a niece or cousin were to submit someone's name/s against their wishes made known, the cult will baptize those relatives regardless of whether they approve/d or not.

That is just creepy and offensive to both the living and the deceased.

Jewish find it abhorrent that it's practiced at all when a Jewish person is post-humously baptized without having given consent. It's denying them their birthright and self-determination to their separate faith. It's another form of forced Christianity not in life, but in death. It shows an utter lack of respect for others closely held beliefs.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: December 18, 2017 01:53AM

Yes, I heard that about ten years ago--that you had to be next of kin, or get permission from the family, or wait until the deceased has been dead for 110 years.

This was told to me by the stake president when I inquired after my coworker died. Then, interestingly, he told that he would go ahead and do it anyway, which I never did.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 18, 2017 02:11AM

kathleen Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, I heard that about ten years ago--that you
> had to be next of kin, or get permission from the
> family, or wait until the deceased has been dead
> for 110 years.

Is that to make sure the dead is really dead, and not just a little dead? ;-)

>
> This was told to me by the stake president when I
> inquired after my coworker died. Then,
> interestingly, he told that he would go ahead and
> do it anyway, which I never did.

Well, there you have it - straight from the horse's mouth. He'd go ahead and "do it anyway." Which is pretty much what the morg has been doing all along (and getting away with it.)

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: December 18, 2017 09:33AM

kathleen Wrote:
wait until the deceased has been dead
for 110 years.

Not quite accurate. The rule is 110 years after their birth date.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 18, 2017 05:42AM

They probably believe it.

Posted by: darkprincess ( )
Date: December 18, 2017 08:48AM

They do have this policy, but the enforcement mechanism is that they hope everyone knows the policy and that people will voluntarily follow it. No one checks or makes sure that it is followed.

Posted by: Money ( )
Date: December 18, 2017 09:27AM

That would be because the dead don't tithe, so don't rate an "enforcement mechanism," but let a tithe-payer touch himself....

Posted by: DaisyMae ( )
Date: December 18, 2017 09:24AM

My grandparents and father have all been baptized and endowed. None of them were LDS or even studied it. None of their immediate family members submitted their names or gave permission either. Go figure!

Posted by: sunnynomo ( )
Date: December 19, 2017 12:42PM

All of my grandparents have been baptized - and three of them more than once. On those three, something was wrong in the information - maiden name, birthdate, spouse's name - something. There is no one in my family that is mormon, never has been. There is absolutely no one that could have given permission. And yes, this is so absolutely, totally offensive it makes my stomach churn. It is so, so very wrong to violate the dead. I understand that they won't care anymore, that most mormons believe they are doing them a favor, but it is a VIOLATION of who they were.

Just no.

Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: December 18, 2017 09:47AM

I do know for a fact that you do not need to bring your own names to the temple for dead-dunking; temple staff are more than happy to supply you with names they come up with.

As to how they got those names, I have no idea. TSCC isn't consistent with following their own policy.

I've been trying to record and bring names that are not relatives or ancestors of mine, but I would not characterize as celebrities. I've pretty much given up the ship.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 18, 2017 10:43AM

Mormons don't confess to not following some policy. There are no eternal or serious mortal consequences if someone dunks someone whose family didn't give permission. No one in the mormon church much cares how long after death anyone waits before dead dunking. All of these policies are in flux and not well known.

The actual practice is this: Dunk every name that comes in and if some members take the time to get permission or wait awhile before dunking, that's well and good. There is no real oversight or audit for any of this.

Posted by: flutterbypurple ( )
Date: December 18, 2017 02:26PM

Obviously it is not being followed because the church told Donald Trump while he was here that they had done the ordinances for his parents.
I am sure no one in the immediate family asked them to. Although his father hit the 110 mark in 2015 his mother is still shy by 5 years. I am betting they broke two of their rules for his mother, but hey it is for their eternal salvation so the greater good prevails.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: December 18, 2017 02:43PM

My mother is the only Mormon in her family. When her non-LDS mother died, she wasn't even able to do the temple work for her own mother. My mother didn't do my grandmother's temple work immediately after her death because she was trying to be respectful of her grieving siblings, wanted their permission and was waiting for the right time to ask. In the meantime, another Mormon, she doesn't know who, beat her to it.

Mormons claim there are rules about temple work, but I suspect they're more like guidelines. Who is going to enforce the rules anyway?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2017 02:55PM by want2bx.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 18, 2017 02:54PM

You have to keep in mind that those spirits who passed over and are currently in Spirit Prison have finally had the opportunity to see for themselves that, YES!, mormonism is correct, not to mention, essential!!

And now, knowing the truth, they are standing at the dividing wall, hoping, praying, pleading, begging, that their essential ordinances will be performed as quickly as possible so that they can go through the separating wall, from Spirit Prison to PARADISE (by the dashboard light), and partake of all the good things in eternal life!

Silly earth rules mean nothing to them! Get the job done! Free the unbaptized, grant them their ordinances, let them max out their progression! Some of them will become ghawds!!

But answer me these question:

where are the spirits of those who died before the age of accountability?

do they have to have their temple work done for them?

Also, can you strike up an acquaintanceship with a spirit who has not yet come to earth to receive a body? I'm sure you both have questions to ask the other, since apparently death does not restore your memories of living with Elohim and getting pissed at how Jesus was always sucking up to him...

Date: December 19, 2017 12:46PM

WAIT, WAIT WAIT ....

I thought that there were three levels of heaven and "Good people" that weren't mormon could go to the terrestrial kingdom, which anyone would commit suicide to get to because it is so absolutely fabulous? You know, the one that the Pope and hitler are in?

Date: December 19, 2017 03:48PM

The Paradise/Spirit Prison situation is temporary. It will 'start' to end at the second coming, and will completely end at the termination of the Jesus stages a Millennium 1000 years, when everyone finally is judged and goes off to complete their ghawdhood studies/apprenticeship...

In the meantime, when you die, if you're deserving mormon, or died before becoming accountable, you go to Paradise. Lots of good food there! This is the place missionaries who die on their missions go to, because ghawd needs their assistance or he'll fall behind.

According to the 'mysteries' as discussed in 1960s Seminary, when you die, the *character* you have developed will continue to hold sway. A die hard apostate like me will land in Spirit Prison, recognize it for what it is, but will perversely continue to deny the church is true.

People who die without ever hearing about mormonism will land there and will not automatically realize the church is true. Much mention is made about the lack of acceptance.

The most devout convert knows that his parents and grandparents, etc., will need to be convinced to accept the gospel, in order for the dead dunking and the other temple hoo-haa to become effective. And it won't be easy! Again, this is why ghawd has to call missionaries to 'transfer' to Paradise, so they can continue their missionary work there!

The thing about all this is that there's no methodology for PROVING it wrong! It's all about faith...

I get the impression that they don't like to go into the details and consider it one of the 'mysteries', but back before correlation, there were stories repeated with lots of details. For instance, the streets in Paradise are made of gold!

Date: December 20, 2017 01:56AM

So, you get assigned to your heaven after spirit prison where you are "taught"? What if you accept the gospel and everything - if you weren't mormon, you're stuck in terrestrial? Or is that when you need someone to do your "work", and then you can "progress"? Don't you have to have led a "perfect" mormon life to make it to celestial kingdom, so even if you get all your work done, you can't make it to the top spot? Or can you? If you don't accept the gospel, are you stuck in spirit prison, or is that when you go to terrestrial, or is it outer darkness?

Serious question(s).

Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: December 18, 2017 04:35PM

My dad is a convert (back when he was 20yrs. Old). His parents and siblings never converted. So my dad waited until both of his parents had died (more than 20 years apart from each other) to do all of their temple work. Baptism, endowment, sealing. He did it asap at after (my) grandma died. He was so proud. His nevermo sisters have no idea and I'm pretty sure they'd shit a brick. So that whole permission thing is bullshit. As an aside, my grandparents didn't even like each other nor get along. Divorce just wasn't a common thing for their generation. Why on earth would they want to be stuck together for eternity?!

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: December 19, 2017 11:53AM

A simple question. If Mormon doctrine and belief is false to us, what does it really matter if they spend their time baptizing our dead ancestors? Can we not see it as just a waste of their time and that it is meaningless? Oh, that's two questions.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: December 19, 2017 12:14PM

I'm with you. My wife wants to baptize my deceased father, which, in itself, is no skin off my nose...it's much ado about nothing and only reinforces my belief that the whole thing is bogus.

She never met my dad, but having grown up his son and having had long conversations with him about things ranging from religion to science to politics to family dramas, I can say with reasonable certainty that he would laugh in the face of anybody who suggested they would baptize him after he was dead.

Though he and I never discussed Mormonism...it was never even on the radar until I married my wife and my dad had already died...I am equally certain that he would have researched the hell out of Mormonism and have mocked anybody who tried to convert him while he was living.

What would have angered him would be anybody trying to use the "need" for his post-death baptism as a means of converting any of his children so that they could do the baptism for him. It's probably just as well that my wife never met my dad.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 19, 2017 01:52PM

I'm with you too. It's a meaningless, silly thing they do.

On the other hand...

My dad went inactive about two years after he married my mom. After the bishop told mom to divorce him (because of his inactivity), she got him to accept being excommunicated so she could be sealed to new super-mormon hubby. Dad really didn't care.

So when he died (2005), I thought that was the end of it.
Except it wasn't.

TBM sisters of dad had him dead-dunked, dead-confirmed, and dead-ordained. Then they made a point of letting me know that they'd "restored" all his ordinances, and so now he could make it to the CK (he'd have to pick a new wife up there, of course, since his one down here was now sealed to somebody else).
They were so proud that they'd "restored" his mormonism -- something he wanted nothing to do with in life.

So while I know it's meaningless, and he's not *really* up in some spirit prison just waiting to be a mormon again and get his own planet and wives, it's just so damn annoying that his sisters keep making a point of telling me the "wonderful" things they did for him, and how that should be a lesson to ME to not wait too long...which I don't really get, because they'll just dead-dunk-restore me after I die, so what's the point?

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: December 19, 2017 02:04PM

As a student of 'spirits and after life' gained by studying people that claim communication or observation of spirits (psychics, mediums, channelers, past life regression, remote viewers, near death experiencers, etc.). Also, having numerous 'experiences' myself.

I am still waiting to read an account by a non-Mormon reporting about an after life involving a 'spirit prison', people going around teaching any religion, people using secret handshakes, etc. etc.

When I get a few I will let you all know so you can get back into the 'only' true church or make sure you are dead-dunked!

Don't hold your breath on this one ----- it is unlikely to occur. I wish 'religious' people studied what 'average people' are experiencing about the after life. If they did they would realize religion is a joke!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2017 07:26PM by spiritist.

Posted by: darkprincess ( )
Date: December 19, 2017 04:25PM

The Family Search program is used to prepare and organize names for dead dunking. It’s a free system that anyone can use but members have access to the “ordinance” portion.
Family Search has a goal of merging all family trees into one interconnective family tree where everyone is linked. If you add your tree it will make a match for you and then connect you to the one tree to rule them all. If you are a member you can submit names to the temple to be saved for you to do or to be available for anyone.
Many genealogy programs allow merging with family Search. Once the trees are connected it is easy to go back several generations through your direct ancestors and then go forward in time through their descendants. These are only vaguely distant second, third, fourth, fifth cousins. But many Mormons feel like they are family so these names are ok to submit. I’ve even seen videos that suggest this is a great technique to move forward when you are getting stuck in your direct lineage research. When a nonmormon adds names to Family Search or makes their Ancestry family line public or shares it with a Mormon they are adding it to the one big family tree where we all are related.
My mom wanted my family tree because I added my nonmormon husbands family. She could then connect herself through my marriage to my husband to his lineage.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: December 19, 2017 06:01PM

As long as you're alive - or DEAD... or never lived (or ever will) - and had/ have a name (or not) you're dunkable. LDSink doesn't need 'names' or birthdates or BODIES. They'll use (sacrifice) another human.

Hell the Mormons have started a new program baptizing the third of Heaven that never even got a body; just figured out what those names and birth dates were supposed to be or would have been.

Lowly Dunking Saints

M@t

Posted by: Anon 3 ( )
Date: December 19, 2017 08:40PM

It as always been that way. Always. Its been in the genealogists andbook and now, since they have it digitized,its on every page and yor name goes on each entry for everyone to see along with your email address. It makes it hard to baptize Hitler over and over and over. So you can still do it but youll be called out on it.

But now...now they have the dna kits from all the genalogy sites. I believe yourdna becomes the property of the company collecting the dna.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 20, 2017 01:14AM

Speaking of baptizing the dead, has Jerry Garcia been baptized? And is he grateful?

Date: December 20, 2017 01:35AM

That suggests a name for a cover band: The Grateful Dunked

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: December 20, 2017 03:06AM

Babyloncansuckit Wrote:
> Speaking of baptizing the dead, has Jerry Garcia been baptized? And is he grateful?

He's Grateful he's Dead. At least heaven will continually sing great songs and have a fine time.

The day he's Mormon, I'm getting off tour - forever - I'm serious.

The Grateful Dead

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.