Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anony ( )
Date: May 31, 2011 06:30AM

A friend relayed a couple of excellent sacrament meeting talks from the singles ward this past Sunday. I haven't been to church in over 4 years, so it is fun to see that I am not missing ANYTHING.

Newly married husband and wife. He is young and has been called as a bishopric councilor in this singles ward. Wifey gives the typical talk about preparing for marriage and making a list of qualities you want in a spouse and then becoming everything on the list... usual BS.

Then hubby gives a talk about the importance of church attendance. Friend says he is coming across as super self-righteous and holier-than-thou talking about how there is never a reason to miss church. To illustrate this, he tells of their recent honeymoon that involved a cruise. They were going to be in Florida by 9 AM on Sunday so they decided to find a ward and attend church. Well I guess they didn't plan this out very well and were sad to find out that the nearest church building was about an hour away from the airport. They looked into a taxi ride but it was going to be about $100 each way.

Oh, what to do... what to do??? Well, luckily the holy ghost whispered unto them to rent a car, which they did and they were able to attend church. The Lord will always provide a way for the righteous! Hallelujah!! Praise Jebus!! So basically they broke the sabbath by spending money on the car rental and making people work on Sunday in order to keep the sabbath and attend church. WTF?? How is this faith promoting??

There was also a talk about free agency by some other douche bag. He used LeBron James as an example of how we don't really have free agency. Ya see, LeBron was an agent for the Cleveland Cavaliers. Then he became a free agent. This was the only time he was truly free. Just like us. When LeBron decided to play for the Miami Heat, he became an agent for the Heat and was no longer free. Can you all see how this applies to the gospel. We are no longer free agents when we make covenants and choose to be on the Lord's side. We do not *really* have free agency once we have chosen. WTF??? Seriously???

Shouldn't the bishop have gotten up and whispered to this guy that he was teaching false doctrine? I don't ever remember being taught about free agency in this way when I was in the morg. It sounds like the guy just googled "free agent" on Sunday morning and came up with this LeBron James thing while spanking it in the shower. #sogladtobeexmormon

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: LongTimegone ( )
Date: May 31, 2011 08:16AM

Not having "free agency"--wasn't that Satan's plan that got him booted from Mormon heaven? So this guy's talk basically stated that once a person chooses to be on the Lord's side, they have chosen Lucifer's plan. Hmmmmm...The Church of Lucifer Christ of Latter-day Saints. Has a ring to it.

Posted by: jessica ( )
Date: May 31, 2011 08:22AM

Bednar has taught the free agent stuff in almost the exact same way, he wasn't making it up.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: May 31, 2011 08:35AM

Ah, the philosophies of men mingled with scripture is very alive and well at TSCC. GGGGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRR.

Posted by: AIC ( )
Date: May 31, 2011 08:50PM

Don't forget you can buy anything in this world with money.

Isn't that MORGdoms tagline!

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: May 31, 2011 09:53AM

So if you're on active duty in the military, or in law enforcement, or a firefighter, or work in a hospital or any other number of professions that require work on Sunday, you have no reason to miss church? What about the people who work in the church's own TV and radio stations?

The sanctimonious talk assumes everyone fits within some small little world exactly like the one the speaker lives in. That kind of myopia is way too common in Mormonism.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 31, 2011 10:18AM

Plus: If you, due to sunday work, attend SM in a ward other than your home ward (time-shift, place-shift)... you aren't 'Counted" as attending!

i.e. if 'your' ward meets in the a.m., but you're at work a.m. and off wrk p.m. ... find a p.m. SM...Doesn't Count!

Posted by: Rod ( )
Date: May 31, 2011 10:33AM

play on Sunday. My Bishop told me once that the quarterback in question, "made his Sunday worship on Saturday..because the Lord doesn't care when you worship 'Sunday' worship, just as long as you do it one day per week." Oh, okay bishop. The mental gymnastics these people play is amazing.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: May 31, 2011 10:04AM

I wonder what percentage Sacrament talks in the singles wards will be addressing the topic of marriage...

Posted by: Anony ( )
Date: May 31, 2011 12:39PM

BTW - this friend of mine was really disgusted by all 3 talks. This person is on their way out, but they need to put a few things in order first. My friend used to be a lot more indifferent, not really seeing the church as bad, but not really a TBM. I really believe it's stuff like this that will pull more people away. My generation is not as narrow minded in general and we do not see how one rule can be for everyone in every situation. We have the internet. We see documentaries and YouTube videos about other people in other nations and other faiths. The world is getting smaller and if something doesn't sit right with us, we don't have a problem questioning it and finding answers on our smart phones :)

Posted by: Elder Roland (not logged in) ( )
Date: May 31, 2011 07:27PM

More like "guilt promoting" talks

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: May 31, 2011 09:51PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2011 09:51PM by WiserWomanNow.

Posted by: AIC ( )
Date: May 31, 2011 08:49PM

Yes...

Guilt, Guilt & More Guilt

Now how is that faith promoting?

I always love the self-righteous talks.

Why do we always feel the need to set ourselves above others?

Oh well!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.