Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anon4This ( )
Date: December 22, 2017 04:46PM

As I understand it, the Mo church is no longer participating in the Boy Scouts of America.

Does the Mo version of the Boy Scouts include winning merit badges? Do they still adhere to the old merit-badge guidelines found in the merit-badge booklets, or have they come up with different versions of the booklets?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mrx ( )
Date: December 22, 2017 06:20PM

LDS: boy scouts til age 13.
When the boys turn 14, they enter the MO version which is youth activities.
LDS boys can still be in boy scouts at age 14 and up, but it won't be in an official Mormon unit.

Date: December 22, 2017 09:05PM

What type of activities are they involved in?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: December 22, 2017 10:08PM

Well at 16 temple work.

Intense mission prep I'm sure.

Date: December 22, 2017 10:14PM

I have a specialized degree. If they were still doing the necessary work to earn merit badges, I could help them achieve a portion of three of them.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: December 23, 2017 02:28PM

It wouldn't surprise me if they had a merit badge for obedience.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: December 23, 2017 02:29PM

In order to survive they must isolate from the general population.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: December 23, 2017 04:31PM

Boy scouts was hell and bullsh#t. It gave the leaders an extra free pass to be twisted f#cks IMO and in my experience.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: December 24, 2017 01:21AM

They've done away with the BOY scouts and changed the name of the 'church' to [tcoJCo] Lucky Day SCOUTS.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: December 24, 2017 10:30AM

I was in the scouts in the 60s and honestly enjoyed it except for the religious influence.Scouting is dying on the vine not so much because of the Mormon church but the competition from other youth activities. Young people have a lot of choices now and scouting just isn't one of them. A lot of family vacations were "camping" in the 60s which lent itself to Scouting. How many people go camping now? (no cabin, no trailer, no video games...)

Posted by: afraid of mormons ( )
Date: December 24, 2017 01:40PM

My boys both got their Eagle Scout awards. For their Eagle Scout project was completed with a group, and they cleaned up and improved an inner city park, that had become run-down. They raised money for the improvements, and persuaded the community to contribute, also. The Scouts and their troops did the landscaping, and built a fence, themselves. It was a great experience!

My sons had some fabulous camping and hiking excursions into the Wind Rivers, Yosemite, Coronado Island, Yellowstone in winter. There was actually a "Whale Watching" merit badge, which they earned off the coast of California. They made life-long friends. One friend is now my son's business partner. The Scout leaders were good fathers, and good examples to my sons, which meant a lot to me, because my sons' father abandoned them. They are now good fathers, themselves, and they take their own children camping and hiking.

Their scout troop was not a Mormon sponsored troop. It was sponsored by a coalition of neighborhood Christian churches, including the Methodist, Presbyterian, Lutheran, and a non-denominational Christian church (in which one son was married).
The leaders and parents of this scout troop are still my closest friends and neighbors, to this day. (I lost all my Mormon friends, when we resigned.)

The Mormons are making some stupid changes. Scouting can be a great experience for a lot of boys. My sons love nature, are extroverts, and are athletic, so they fit that kind of mold. Scouting isn't for everyone. As a TBM mother, I had my sons give the Mormon scout troop a try, when we first moved into the neighborhood, but my sons did not like the bullying and the authoritarianism. There was no camaraderie, and most of the boys weren't in it by choice, and they slid by, and fudged on the badge requirements, etc. They were also pushed to get their Eagle Scout awards as soon as possible, some at 14 and 15--what was that about? It was like a competitive race, or something. My sons wanted to quit scouts, altogether, but their friends at school convinced them to join the Christian troop. They had "Explorers" for the older boys. I would recommend this! IF your sons really want it.

Ugh--no one is going to enjoy temple work. I suspect that the activities will be coed. Big mistake. Boys and girls need to have their own separate fun, at that age. Mormons have always tried to have mixers, and force dating, before kids had any enthusiasm for it. I guess Mormons want to push kids into early marriages and into producing BIC babies--before they develop adult-thinking brains. Definitely, the Mormons want to push missions onto younger and younger kids with undeveloped brains.

Posted by: txrancher ( )
Date: December 24, 2017 06:44PM

I was in young mens as a leader for many years...also bishopric for several years. When I look back, there was plenty of confusion of "when" we'd do YM stuff and BSA stuff for the 14-17 year olds. I guess the church figured this out--that we didn't give focused attention to much of anything--so it kinda makes sense.

And I hated scouting. Stopped doing anything myself after I reached first class (and 13 years old.)

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: December 24, 2017 06:51PM

I was in church sponsored BSA from 1948 until 1954. Unlike today it was uplifting and educational. I ended up with Eagle rank and 27 merit badges which had practical applications

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.