Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 23, 2017 10:57AM

I'm not sold on that idea.

Mormons changed their policy on race because society would no longer abide such harsh racism. They changed the temple rites when they were facing legal action. Lawsuits are embarrassing and costly. They'll change other policies when society sneers or laughs at them enough to affect their bottom line and numbers.

Mormon leaders are obsessed with image and power. Individual rights and feelings are not their main priority. This attitude is apparent top to bottom, not just with old leaders, but with priesthood guys throughout the organization.

Are there nice understanding lower level bishops and presidents of this and that? Yes, but I don't think they're nice because they're young. I also don't think those are usually the guys who climb to the highest callings.

I've seen young boys turn into tyrants when they get the priesthood. They become worse as they progress. I think its the feeling of entitlement and power that goes to their heads and age isn't so much of a deciding factor.

This is why I think those who attribute harsh policies to aging are mistaken and possibly biased against the elderly. I think it would be a good idea to examine one's attitudes about the elderly in general because it might be a mind stopper to blame with knee jerk swiftness age for the ills in mormonism or society as a whole.

Older posters and older people in society are not necessarily enemies or obstructionists. Many are active intelligent contributors who deserve to be treated decently. All the early leaders were youthful. And it was they who originated all these abusive practices.

I still think RfM admin should consider deleting blatant posts reeking of ageism just as they delete vicious racist and homophobic posts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2017 12:09PM by Cheryl.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: montanadude ( )
Date: December 23, 2017 11:05AM

I agree. LD$ Inc. will always bring in proven white men, over 65, who have always climbed the typical GA ladder. Bishop, stake president, mission president, 70 then BAM, a GA. Throw in a good Mo stock last name.

There is too much risk for a younger GA to realize the truth and actually jump ship. I feel like it's one of the reasons we'll never see a GA leave LD$ Inc.

Posted by: gatorman ( )
Date: December 23, 2017 11:18AM

Curious about the legal action changing temple rites you mention above. Can you elaborate?

Gatorman

Date: December 23, 2017 11:25AM

But I read on the board and heard about it at an exmo conference. The church was being sued for traumatizing members when they let naked touching go too far. There were also many complaints when the touching through the veil sometimes escalated into groping.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 23, 2017 12:27PM

gatorman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Curious about the legal action changing temple
> rites you mention above. Can you elaborate?
>
> Gatorman

I'd been thinking that the 1988 temple survey was the genesis of the 1990 changes, which meant that Cheryl's response was a bit discordant. But I've now gone through the 31 pages of the 1998 survey and there's no real room for complaining about the initiatory touchings, nor the 'suicide' "...rather my life be taken" motions. Meaning that Cheryl's options are quite likely to be genuine motivations, rather than the 'feelings' of the members.

Here's a link to the survey:
https://www.scribd.com/doc/76542947/1988-Temple-Survey

Posted by: Anon4This ( )
Date: December 23, 2017 11:26AM

"I think its the feeling of entitlement and power that goes to their heads and age isn't so much of a deciding factor."

You are SPOT ON about the above. We refer to our bishop as Bishop Little Shit. He is less than 30 and his God-given authority to rule the ward has caused life-long members such as my family to leave the church. He reacts rather than acts to situations that need no action at all. But by God, he feels that he has the chosen, given right to act like a tyrant.

We voted with our feet and pocket books.

Date: December 23, 2017 11:58AM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 23, 2017 12:08PM

I think part of the problem of not having mixed ages in leadership is that for the most part, the Q15 came of age in a different era. For instance they don't seem to realize that the model of one breadwinner per household with a SAHM is largely broken. Also in cases of divorce, it is extremely helpful if the wife has completed her education and training, and has marketable job skills.

In an ideal world, it would also be helpful in making them realize that a 10% tithe is economically unrealistic for many, perhaps most families.

Having mixed ages might also be helpful in terms of LGBTQ rights and women's rights.

It seems to me that the church membership is driving many of the smaller changes. Some of the female church members have jobs or marketable skills. There is some increased understanding of LBGTQ individuals. But very little leadership in these areas seems to be coming from above.

Date: December 23, 2017 12:14PM

Almost every day I read about fairly young members who hit on unwilling single women or who demean and snub them. Remember Deenie talking about how local members treated her? This bad treatment wasn't the result of older leaders at the high levels. It came directly from people Deenie knew in local callings.

I think the young members are just as clueless as the old ones about social issues.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 23, 2017 12:22PM

I see what you mean. We've had so many people on the board over the years who didn't fit the Mormon mold, who had to leave due to mistreatment. Or who had to endure years of petty insults.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2017 05:33PM by summer.

Posted by: gatorman ( )
Date: December 23, 2017 01:36PM

“The Mormon Mold”...man can I relate to that. Just wearing a blue shirt sans a tie created problems for me. I finally resorted to when asked where my tie was I would say “ I don’t own one”. Man the looks after that. Certainly there has been growth in membership in Africa and South America. But when the eventual Mormon tendency to Americanize members difficulty will arise there too. I just felt under constant scrutiny even when in a bishopric...

Gatorman

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: December 23, 2017 01:47PM

I can also relate to not fitting the extremely narrow Mormon Mold, since I was a hormonal convert with no Mormon ancestors, plus I asked too many questions. I was also planning to work outside the home, before even thinking of having a child. In the end, not having children worked best for me as it meant I was able to completely escape from my ex-husband by cutting off all contact with him.

As TBM as my ex-husband was, he only started wearing the uniform when the bishop "offered" to send him to DI for white shirts. It meant he quit wearing the blue shirt I liked as it brought out his eye color, and he also caved into the pressure to shave off his goatee and cut his hair in the missionary style. When I married him, his hair was shoulder length. The bishop at the time was in his 50's, who put the pressure on my ex to fit the Mormon mold.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2017 01:48PM by adoylelb.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 23, 2017 03:17PM

Use Bednar as a model. He became an LDS aposthole at a "young" age. Now he's the biggest asshole of the lot, save for Oaks, who remains a gaping anus.

Date: December 23, 2017 04:20PM

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: December 23, 2017 04:35PM

Young or old it is all bad when they get deep in it all. Not even the most righteous man could survive amongst all the wolves and vipers. It changes you, this is what i have learned and good luck becoming your real self again if you ever get out.

Posted by: unbelievable2 ( )
Date: December 23, 2017 11:11PM

The GA must be a direct, loyal descendant of JS. It's like a Mafia thing, only the family gets the top jobs, secret handshakes, $. Must marry a TBM wife in families of cult hierarchies, McConkies, Bensons, Tanners, etc.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.