Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: December 25, 2017 02:24PM

I am not on the records of the ward I visit. But they were so short of choir members they called me up. They knew I could sing bass. The Christmas program called for 2 choir hymns. And they would have been beautiful if we had a good choir of many people. Seems no one wanted to sing in the choir. The Choir Director had 3 of her family members singing. The other 7 were very young girls and their mums. Total Choir was 10 people.

This is a ward that is right beside a temple were members covenant their time talents and money!!!

Anyone see this in their wards, a lack of choir members?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 25, 2017 02:43PM

choirs are not necessary for their salvation.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 25, 2017 02:43PM

Choir has never been high on any priority list that i've ever been aware of...

just me?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 25, 2017 02:50PM

Choir participation not required for elevation to ghawdhood.

There is some interest (and betting) on the part of of some of the ghawds senior to Elohim on just how many of the ghawdlings chose to be basses and how many are tenors.

Boner and I are content with the fact that we will sopranoes...

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 25, 2017 03:26PM

It does show a sign of dwindling returns on church participation.

Choirs used to be an integral part of the church programs; especially for Christmas and Easter.

It doesn't strike me as much that members are merely burnt out. What seems more apparent to me are those who've left and aren't coming back.

There isn't enough in the ranks to replace them.

It's a sign to me of a slow demise in terms of church membership.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 25, 2017 03:59PM

there is Little Doubt that tscc is between Rock & Hard Spot;

those whose cog. hasn't disappeared down the memory hole recognize & regret all the dilution of what was clearly once
'church doctrine'; if there are significant temple changes on/after 1/1/2018 (as rumored here), there could be a lot more fall-out.

the younger generation, with just minor exposure to the (sometimes) loving ways of mainstream people of faith (many denominations) want to follow those ways.

still others, parents of gay/lesbian/bi/trans people still want to be loving parents, have varying rates of acceptance to clear Mormon rejection of those lifestyles...

Gledelig jul å du !!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2017 06:10PM by GNPE.

Posted by: unbelievable2 ( )
Date: December 25, 2017 10:26PM

A TBM friend told me tonight that the boundaries of the Brooklyn Stake have been redrawn. Wards have merged.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: December 25, 2017 10:36PM

People are so tired of being told it's all their fault. They want the church to put up or shut up. The church has shown over and over that it just can't deliver.

Posted by: hgc2 ( )
Date: December 25, 2017 11:33PM

I was always in the ward choir when one existed until I quit attending church. I don't sing, I play the piano and organ, and there was (and probably still is) always a need for piano players.

Ward choirs have never been a good fit for the average ward. A fully staffed ward was meant to be 300 to 500 people. When you count the inactives, there are never enough good singers for a good choir. You can sometimes put together a pretty good stake choir, but it was never permanent in my experience.

I do remember 2 pretty good ward choirs - one was in an oversized ward in an affluent community with plenty of people that liked to sing. The other was in a small Idaho town where the choir director was super dedicated. She was able to forge together a decent choir even though the singers had marginal musical skills.

I also remember that church policy was not to turn over a whole sacrament meeting to music. Music was to enhance the spoken word. One stake president decreed that all ward and stake choirs were to sit while singing because the tabernacle choir sat while singing. He also limited all choir numbers to hymns. Other wards and stakes in my experience allowed pretty much anything that was reasonably appropriate. I used to play "Ave Maria" as prelude music for sacrament meeting. The words are contrary to Mormon Doctrine, but the music is inspiring. No one ever called me on it.

Choir participation has always been a problem and I think does not necessarily reflect waning interest in the church.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: December 26, 2017 01:33AM

LDS Inc SHOULD consolidate hundreds of lightly /under attended, underpopulated MORmON wards, but they wont because it would be too much of an obvious concession that their stupid church is imploding / has imploded on itself. LD$ Inc is compelled to leave their many under populated wards in skeleton operation to maintain (phony MORmON) appearances. LD$ Inc has to have a falsely created over abundance of ward vanity positions (Bishop and counselors) to use as rewards and incentives to the few desperate faithFOOL members who are still attending MORmON meetings. In those barely functioning skeleton staffed and barely attended wards, every aspect of ward function suffers, including ward choir. ......even people who like music and who like to sing are reluctant to get stung paying 10 per cent of their gross income for the privilege / duty.

Posted by: jackman ( )
Date: December 26, 2017 11:00AM

I really enjoyed singing in ward and stake choirs. After my awakening and conversion to atheism (if you can call it that), I still felt the need to keep my commitment that I made to sing at stake conference in the stake choir. I am an excellent tenor if I do say so myself.
I decided that if I can play a fictional character or sing songs about Santa clause and flying reindeer then I can wholeheartedly sing songs about Jesus too. But afterward when people came up to me saying things like, “hearing you sing, I felt the spirit so strongly and it reaffirmed my belief in Christ,” I decided never to sing in a church choir again.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: December 27, 2017 02:25AM

jackman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am an excellent
> tenor if I do say so myself.

I believe you, so is this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zpi8waDT2y8

> I decided that if I can play a fictional character
> or sing songs
> about Santa clause and flying reindeer then I can
> wholeheartedly sing songs about Jesus too. But afterward
> when people came up to me saying things like, “hearing you
> sing, I felt the spirit so strongly and it reaffirmed my ?
> belief in Christ,” I decided never to sing in a church choir
> again.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.