Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: May 31, 2011 03:53PM

http://nielsandsusie.blogspot.com/2009/08/big-fat-persianmormon-wedding.html
Wow, you folks have GOT to check this out! It warmed my heart to see a successful, joyous, vibrant wedding combining two very different religions and traditions. NOBODY left to sit outside a fugly temple because they weren't considered "worthy" to be at one of the most important family events for their own flesh & blood. The groom & his family are Mormon; the bride and her family are Persian (Iranian) with a very rich and ancient culture. Bride didn't convert; seems like the couple decided that the relationship was more important than a church, and they chose each other. Every single Mormon should see this as an example of what a real wedding could be and SHOULD be. I've said it before, if somebody really wants to get sealed in a temple (providing both are members), they can do so later. And in some other countries, they HAVE to have a wedding outside the temple first. But temples are NOT about families and weddings; they're about keeping you in the cult. Period. I'm sening this link to my daughter :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bigred ( )
Date: May 31, 2011 04:03PM

What a great story! I posted the link on my FB page as an example of how it should be. Hopefully some of my Mormon relatives and friends will start to get it!

Posted by: rogertheshrubber ( )
Date: May 31, 2011 04:08PM

So many smiles. When I got married, the mood in the sealing room was somber. I later found out my SIL had been threatened with being kicked out about an hour before because she wore slacks instead of a dress. Imagine!

"keeping promises to the cult" is exactly right.

Posted by: Stormy ( )
Date: May 31, 2011 04:10PM

I loved it all...if only all weddings were that fun.

stormy

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 31, 2011 06:46PM

agreed to do the civil wedding. My guess is that some would not.

Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: June 01, 2011 03:17PM

Yeah, I really wish I'd had this kind of a wedding. NOBODY from my family (consisting of my wonderful mom and grandma, the only two immediate family members I had left) came to the temple, not being "worthy" and all. GOD I hate that word!! It's just as well they didn't get to see the farce, because I don't consider a temple 'sealing' to be a marriage at all; it just cements you to the cult, first and foremost. And the absolutely lame reception in the cultural hall afterwards......thankfully I can hardly remember any of it anymore, it really sucked that badly. I can't see my daughter putting up with such a crappy scenario; she's got more sense and independence than I had.
Stormy, I was thinking of your wedding too. I hope for all your sakes that things settle down, that the wedding is a truly joyful occasion, and that SIL gets the help she needs.
SusieQ#1, yeah, I'm sure there are bishops who wouldn't be terribly gracious about officiating at the wedding of a member to a non-member. I've seen stories on the boards where the bishop essentially 'hijacks' a wedding and takes every possible opportunity to rub it in the couple's faces that their wedding is for TIME ONLY and how much better a REAL Mormon temple wedding is. What a lovely way to 'honor' the bride and groom and their new life together :- /

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.