Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: 64monkey ( )
Date: December 30, 2017 09:40PM

http://www.ldsliving.com/Why-I-Left-the-Church-Is-Also-Why-I-m-Going-Back/s/79909/?page=3#story-content

I especially love the opening photo of the passed out, fatigued women. It conveys your nothing without the church.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 31, 2017 01:09AM

What kind of mush was that? A little Ella from “Frozen”, a little Zen. All to justify the self image that TSCC messed up.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: December 31, 2017 03:45AM

Satan uses the truth to deceive. Just let that sink in a little.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 31, 2017 04:20PM

If I were satan I would tell you that I am a mormon apostle.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 31, 2017 07:09PM

Perceptive, this one. The 12 could be the best evidence yet for spirit possession. They needed a devil, so they are it.

Posted by: afraid of mormons ( )
Date: December 31, 2017 04:04AM

So, we left the Mormon cult because we weren't good enough?

And the new lure for us to go back, is to tell us that it's OK to be not good enough? Even though all of us are failures, the cult will accept us, and only God can help us not be failures.

The pompous bishop and HT threatened me when I quit my calling (due to a serious illness) saying that I would fail in life, and my children would fail--but in the last 10 years, we have all succeeded! I shouldn't have taken their threats so personally, since they are using that threat on everyone else who leaves. In fact, they are threatening their own cult members, too. We are all failures, without the Morgod.

So depressing. So soul-sucking. So hopeless. So abusive.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: December 31, 2017 04:10AM

I followed a link on that LDSLiving page, to a testimony of a lawyer who has had a very odd on and off again relationship with the LDS church. He has recently been re-baptized, with a new ordination, and yet another wife I suppose.

As part of the recovery of his testimony, he claims he had this convo with god:

"“One of my issues was why is there no archeological evidence of the Book of Mormon. [But one night] God said to me, ‘Does the fact you can walk the streets of Jerusalem make the Bible true?’ And I said, ‘No.’ He said, ‘But what if somebody uncovered a sign tomorrow that said ‘Welcome to Zarehemla, population 420.’ What would that do to the Book of Mormon?’ And I said, ‘Then it would make it true.’ But He said, ‘Then where would be your faith?’”"

Actually, since the BofM says that Zarahemla was a very large city, with likely millions of residents, if some one found this sign saying "Zarahemla---pop. 420", it would NOT be a proof the BOM is true, but rather would tend to the opposite. Such a sign may also indicate the existence of a very small town run by a cult of cannabis fanatics (Nephites, without doubt).

This is the usual logical fallacy offered by tbm's. This thinking asks the wrong questions: The existence of Jerusalem doesn't make god or the bible true, but it DOES allow the possibility that the bible MIGHT be true. Whereas, the fact that Zarahemla does not exist, totally disproves the Book of Mormon.

For a lawyer, this brother has a great lack of critical thinking skills. And the church is quick to provide the sophistry to make fallacious thinking feel like inspiration, to the tbm. As we witness in the OP linked article, as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2017 04:47AM by hello.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: December 31, 2017 07:00PM

My guess is that there's some kind of financial benefit for him being a Mormon. His testimony sounds like an excuse.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: January 01, 2018 07:04AM

yes Don, very good odds you are right, he must sniff money up the ladder, or sumpin...

Posted by: montanadude ( )
Date: December 31, 2017 03:57PM

Misty indicates at the bottom of the story that she is a "prepper" and a "emergency preparedness major" Her real reason for feeling not good enough was due to her knowing she didn't have enough canned peaches and wheat for the zombie apocalypse. Now get to canning and grinding wheat Misty! You won't make it out alive!

Posted by: Alger's Fanny ( )
Date: December 31, 2017 05:13PM

Fake!
Pure fanfic.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: December 31, 2017 05:32PM

Strangely written article.

The author devotes a paragraph to Satan and how he deceives. Then in the next paragraph she discusses that she does really need "Him." Who? Satan?

I understand that she means Christ when she wrote "He" and "Him" throughout the article, but she never once wrote out the word "Jesus" or "Christ," it's always just "He" and "Him." Maybe she's really trying to tell us that she went back to church to be closer to Satan. That fits.

Posted by: idleswell ( )
Date: January 01, 2018 12:07PM

I could have written that article because I learned that within the LDS Church "unworthy" equals "unwanted." I tried enduring to the end by attending without participating. I wouldn't have the sacrament for weeks, months at a time.

What did I learn? I learned that the Church is irrelevant to spirituality. In fact, perpetual labeling as "unworthy" destroys desire to develop spiritual intimacy with a God that the Church guards against.

My religious experience became private and personal. When I came to exit the Church, what would I miss?

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: January 01, 2018 01:18PM

Mormons are saying two things a lot these days:

(1) People aren't leaving the Church--there's no mass exodus.

(2) Please come back! Please?????

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: January 01, 2018 02:24PM

Everything is guilt ridden!

It's how Mormonism works, or doesn't, in this case.

Posted by: 64monkey ( )
Date: January 01, 2018 04:59PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.