Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: December 31, 2017 05:22AM

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2058904

I'm not certain I was clear on a reply at the topic pasted above. I think it's perfectly reasonable to reject a dentist because he or she is LDS or for any other reason a person might decide is important. I don't even think doing so is inherently a form of bigotry, as it's reasonable not to want the LDS church to profit indirectly from one's business. If someone thinks that is bigotry, whatever, but it's a person's choice. At this point, anyway, in our nation, we still have the freedom to choose our health care providers to the extent that our insurance carriers allow.

What I don't think is appropriate is to ASK a health care provider about his or her religion. I said I don't think it's appropriate. I didn't say I think it should be illegal. Neither would I inquire either directly or to administration about the religion of my child's prospective teacher. I probably wouldn't even ask specifics about religion in interviewing a nanny without first checking to ensure I wasn't violating any pertinent laws by asking. I'm sure it's legal to ask a prospective nanny if anything in her practice of religion would interfere with his or her ability to do the job he or she would be expected to do if he or she were hired, but I don't know if it's legal to ask point-blank "what is your religion?" . I know I cannot ask that if I participate in hiring for the school district I serve.

I don't think it's appropriate to ask a health care professional what his or her religion is. That's just MY opinion. I would refuse to answer if I were asked and would be very happy to have the prospective patient go elsewhere. I was told when I was selected for the fellowship I recently fulfilled that my prospective supervisors were curious about my religion but were legally barred from asking. Others may have different feelings about what is or isn't appropriate. I would have no problem with a patient doing whatever Internet sleuthing he or she could legally do to determine if I am LDS, Lutheran, or Hare Krishna, but I don't want to be asked about my religion. Ask me about my education and qualifications, my GPA, my USMLE scores, the number of times I've performed a given procedure, or any legal action or state medical board sanctions taken against me. I'm more than happy to discuss those matters with any prospective patient. I won't discuss religion with a patient or prospective patient.

Again, I don't think there's anything wrong with any patient choosing not to seek services from me or from anyone else because they think rightly or wrongly that I or another provider might be LDS or anything else. I simply don't want to answer questions at work about my religious practices. If I lose a patient to someone who is less guarded where his or her privacy is concerned, I can live with that. If I were ever compelled to answer questions about my religious beliefs in work-related litigation, I would answer the questions with no reservations, but I choose not to discuss my religious preferences with patients. Other providers may feel differently. Some would even take it as an opportunity to bear witness of the truth of his or her religion. I would pass on that opportunity.

I do think we all have the right not to seek health care from anyone with whom we are not comfortable for any reason, religious or otherwise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2017 05:24AM by scmd.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 31, 2017 07:30AM

Going to a doctor or dentist for medical services I have entirely different expectations than for my clergy.

Your personal preferences are well respected. That is considered a normal, healthy boundary IMO.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 31, 2017 07:56AM

I agree with you on all points.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 31, 2017 07:59AM

If the patient is not able to trust a health care giver for that reason, then they should clear up the problem before they accept care.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 31, 2017 08:00AM

I just want to be clear on one issue: you are only going to tolerate questions about MEDICAL procedures you've performed, right?

Posted by: scmd not logged in ( )
Date: December 31, 2017 03:28PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just want to be clear on one issue: you are only
> going to tolerate questions about MEDICAL
> procedures you've performed, right?

No, I'm open to any and all questions about every aspect of my personal life . . . Not really; just medical questions.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 31, 2017 08:24AM

I require my health care professionals to be supporters of science.
My money talks.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 31, 2017 01:03PM

I see both sides of this.

If my doctor is going to resort to "God did it" or "it was a miracle" I know that would irritate me. I might have confidence in his ability and knowledge, but randomly flipping into magical thinking erodes my confidence in judgement.

I would not ask flat out what religion someone is. However if I pick up that the person is into her religion more than her career, I should not be surprised when the person inserts religious beliefs. Most people seem to think that openly displaying their religion somehow implies they are "good people" or something. I find having religion on their sleeve a reason to be cautious. It's like they are saying religion is necessary to be trustworthy which is insulting.

I have a lot of questions and concerns for both sides about being able to exclude who we want and what questions are acceptable. I guess I tend to give the benefit of the doubt both to patients or doctors and try to judge based on results.

Posted by: scmdnotloggedin ( )
Date: December 31, 2017 03:43PM

dagny Wrote:

> I would not ask flat out what religion someone is.
> However if I pick up that the person is into her
> religion more than her career, I should not be
> surprised when the person inserts religious
> beliefs. Most people seem to think that openly
> displaying their religion somehow implies they are
> "good people" or something. I find having religion
> on their sleeve a reason to be cautious. It's like
> they are saying religion is necessary to be
> trustworthy which is insulting.
>

If a person simply wanted to ensure that he or she were not indirectly supporting the LDS churchfinancially, serious sleuthing might be rewuired. If one is merely trying to weed out those who "think that openly displaying their religion somehow impliesthey are 'good people' " sleuthing is often not necessary. Just walk into the office or dirve through the parking lot and look around. Those whose religion is going to impact a patient beyond his or her money or insurance payments going to support an organization they don't endorse will probably find ways of advettising it in the waiting rooms, on their cars, etc.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 31, 2017 01:12PM

1. Mormons don't respect women as much as men as a part of their religion. That means my care might suffer.

2. Mormons don't respect exmos and nevermos as much as believing mormons, another reason my care could suffer.

3. Mormons sometimes want to convert non-believers. I see no reason to take a chance on this happening.

4. I don't enjoy being around believing mormons if given a choice.

Date: December 31, 2017 03:33PM

Cheryl Wrote:
> 1. Mormons don't respect women as much as men as a
> part of their religion. That means my care might
> suffer.
>
> 2. Mormons don't respect exmos and nevermos as
> much as believing mormons, another reason my care
> could suffer.
>
> 3. Mormons sometimes want to convert
> non-believers. I see no reason to take a chance on
> this happening.
>
> 4. I don't enjoy being around believing mormons if
> given a choice.

Cheryl, I would avoid most LDS dentists, too, unless I personally knew the dentist and had no problem with the person. I just wouldn't ask. I'd investigate more covertly.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: December 31, 2017 01:20PM

As a nevermo student at BYU with a dental emergency, I had the unpleasant experience of being trapped in a Dr. Pinegar's chair. Rendered "voiceless" due to his fingers and dental implements I was forced to listen to his proclamations of the truth of the Mormon religion. I remember him posing a question to me, "Do you suppose such learned men such as the professors at BYU would believe Joseph Smith was a prophet of God unless it was true?"

It was an awful experience to be forced to remain mute while he rattled on about Mormonism.

I would avoid a Mormon dentist like the plague.

notmonotloggedin

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 31, 2017 01:45PM

I would have said, “It’s your professionalism that I respect”.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: December 31, 2017 01:35PM

Any talk of Mormon dentists brings to mind my "pal", Mark:

Dr. Mark K. Anderson, DDS (Woodland, Ca)

"A dentist accused of fondling the breasts of 27 female patients is trying to keep his dental license by arguing that chest massages are an appropriate procedure in certain cases. Mark Anderson's lawyer says dental journals discuss the need to massage the pectoral muscles to treat a common jaw problem."

(article)
http://palominas.blogspot.com/2007/10/and-now-for-something-completely.html

(reader's comments)
http://www.topix.com/forum/business/dental/TVCNGHUM5QPG0OODV

another article + comments:

http://pysih.com/2007/10/16/dr-mark-k-anderson/

Sentenced to 6 years in the slammer:
http://www.news10.net/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=58328

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: December 31, 2017 01:39PM

Apparently, Dr. Anderson's innovative therapy only worked on females - go figure ...

Date: December 31, 2017 03:30PM

3X Wrote:
> Any talk of Mormon dentists brings to mind my
> "pal", Mark:
>
> Dr. Mark K. Anderson, DDS (Woodland, Ca)
>
>
> "A dentist accused of fondling the breasts of 27
> female patients is trying to keep his dental
> license by arguing that chest massages are an
> appropriate procedure in certain cases. Mark
> Anderson's lawyer says dental journals discuss the
> need to massage the pectoral muscles to treat a
> common jaw problem."
>
>
> (article)
> http://palominas.blogspot.com/2007/10/and-now-for-
> something-completely.html
>
> (reader's comments)
> http://www.topix.com/forum/business/dental/TVCNGHU
> M5QPG0OODV
>
>
> another article + comments:
>
> http://pysih.com/2007/10/16/dr-mark-k-anderson/
>
>
>
> Sentenced to 6 years in the slammer:
> http://www.news10.net/news/local/story.aspx?storyi
> d=58328

What a fun guy! I'm glad he didn't live in my neck of the woods. With my mom's luck, she would have found him and scheduuled appointments for all of us.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.