Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: January 03, 2018 09:31PM

'Bomb cyclone' to slam East Coast as winter storm with blizzard conditions

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/bomb-cyclone-to-slam-east-coast-as-winter-storm-with-blizzard-conditions/ar-BBHOBjH

Stay safe East Coasters!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 03, 2018 11:09PM

Thanks! We are waiting for it. I don't think I'll be in school tomorrow.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: January 04, 2018 07:41AM

We’re out. Got one pathetic inch. If we’re not out again tomorrow i will be pissed!!! Not supposed to get above freezing till monday.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 04, 2018 07:14AM

We had one blizzard already this week.

Time to brace for another.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: January 04, 2018 08:46AM

In any case, it is certainly a sign of the Last Days.

Date: January 04, 2018 09:09AM

The storm will be going around where I live, on the upside.

On the downside, it is bringing in another cold front from another direction that is going to plunge the area into a deep freeze - possibly well into the sub-zeros by tomorrow.

Schools are planning for closure tomorrow.

It also means to leave the warm water running at a trickle so the pipes don't freeze.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2018 09:09AM by Amyjo.

Date: January 04, 2018 09:11AM

Snow falling on palm trees in Charleston, South Carolina.

Date: January 04, 2018 09:14AM

It fell in northern Florida as well. I know two people who just came back from Orlando and they both said it was very nippy down there.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 04, 2018 10:51AM

I thought that the proper phrasing was now, "...and they both said it was very nipply down there."?

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: January 04, 2018 10:54AM

Thanks Anon2

I live in the blizzard area.

I have my hot chocolate, watching the snow fall, staying off the roads, and listening to my wind chimes.

I LOVE this!!
We are expecting 14", but it's the wind that makes it a blizzard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2018 10:58AM by angela.

Date: January 04, 2018 07:05PM

My local school district has closed schools for tomorrow because of the anticipated record cold.

I'm considering using a personal day myself so I don't have to go out in it. It's supposed to get to 20-30 degrees minus by morning with the wind chill.

Date: January 04, 2018 07:30PM

Makes sense to me, Amyjo. We only got about three inches or so, but it was the roaring wind that made this storm unique. There are times when I think it is simply too cold for most people to be outside.

Date: January 05, 2018 05:34PM

I ended up going to work this morning. There were quite a few travelers on the road - but all the local schools and lots of small businesses and churches were closed today.

It forced me to get out of the house, assess the driveway, begin clearing it and sidewalk for mailman to get through later. But even there could only manage a few minutes at a time before I had to go back into the house to warm up again.

The driveway's as clear as it's going to be before tomorrow, pending further snowfall.

It is supposed to begin warming up by Sunday - can't wait!

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: January 04, 2018 11:45AM

Posted by: 6 iron ( )
Date: January 04, 2018 12:39PM

And that storm is what is going to cause even more cold air and snow squalls to decend on me and the Great Lakes, possibly record cold.

Since Canada gets blamed for cold weather Stateside, I'm reversing the blame, lol.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: January 04, 2018 12:52PM

6 iron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And that storm is what is going to cause even more
> cold air and snow squalls to decend on me and the
> Great Lakes, possibly record cold.
>
> Since Canada gets blamed for cold weather
> Stateside, I'm reversing the blame, lol.

LOL.
Just heard a comment by a viewer on one of the local TV news stations. They say it's an old Scandinavian saying.

"There is no such thing as bad weather. Just inappropriate attire."

I laughed

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: January 04, 2018 01:17PM

Right now it is 0 with a windchill of -8 in Minneapolis, it is 26 with no windchill in Anchorage. Fairbanks is 11 with no windchill.

I think I need to go to Alaska and warm up.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: January 04, 2018 06:57PM

I'm about an hour and a half outside of Charleston, SC. It's cold as a witch's tit, but only snowed for about 10 minutes yesterday. Being a southerner, I have a gene that causes me to rush to the store for bread, eggs, and milk if 2 or more flakes appear. Never knew what for, unless you're supposed to make French toast. :^D

Date: January 04, 2018 07:02PM

Children were making snow angels today in Tallahassee, FL with only a light dusting of snow on the ground. They were so thrilled to be able to do that. :)

Love, love, love French toast for any reason or no reason at all.

Date: January 04, 2018 07:31PM

In Maryland, the joke is bread, milk, and toilet paper. People will form long lines in grocery stores even if all we are expecting is a few inches.

Date: January 04, 2018 08:35PM

When I lived in NYC for snowstorms people literally emptied storeshelves of water, milk and bread. And snow shovels.

If you didn't get there before the run on supplies, it was catch as catch can and improvisation.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: January 04, 2018 08:25PM

Amyjo, if you were here, I would make some crunchy on the outside moist on the inside french toast!

Date: January 04, 2018 08:32PM

Oh that does sound good.

Yummo. :)

Posted by: PSA Guy ( )
Date: January 04, 2018 09:00PM

Attention, please stay tuned for this important public service announcement.

Earlier this week, it was reported in error that the North Pole would be dropping a bomb on the Eastern seaboard of North America. The North Pole has protested our unfortunate choice of words, and requested that we clarify that it is not now, nor ever has been in, possession of bombs of any make or manufacturer.

The White House responded via tweet that if the Eastern seaboard wanted to be bombed, that it had a big button on the desk, and that someone should tell the North Pole that it works.

We apologize for bringing bombs into our weather warning, and would ask everyone to please back away slowly from their desks.

Thank you.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 05:22PM

There is (was) a huge mountain of salt on a ship landing in Chelsea, Mass. I happened to drive by it today, and saw the cranes have carved out a big valley in the middle of it--it's now a ("bactrian") 2-hump camelback in shape.

The snow was wet and heavy, and plowed into very hard-packed furrows. At risk of getting deleted, I'll endorse Toyota's AWD engineering--it got me out with minimal shoveling.

But I did lose 10 or 15 shingles. I'm hoping very little snow will get in until the roofers can get here on Monday. Having braced for the blizzard, I'm now bracing for huge heating bills.

Posted by: Elder Fartinson ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 05:48PM

Does anyone find the bomb cyclone just a little to coincidental to the beloved prophet, Tommy S. Monsoon passing?

It's as if Heavenly Father (HF) is showing New York and the East Coast, "hey you should have said good things about Tommy Monsoon in your newspapers...payback is a B my children..have fund freezing gentiles with this Monsoon of snow that I'm sending you..next time say nice stuff about my main man."

Disclaimer: I don't believe HF talks like that but just saying - it does seem like more than a coinkeydink, i.e. Monson and Monsoon of snow. Get it? Only the elect can see this. HF will not be mocked.

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 06:00PM

Anything to sell the weather channels, I guess.

Posted by: Hot Aussie ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 06:03PM

"blast furnace" for your "bomb cyclone"

Authorities say heat in Victoria will resemble ‘blast furnace’ above 43C

http://www.news.com.au/technology/environment/major-manufacturing-may-have-to-shut-down-this-weekend-to-stop-power-blackouts/news-story/af7422d121cf4a35603b13e12dcf5233

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.