Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: January 04, 2018 10:04AM

I don't know if this is true across the board, but none of the Mormons on my Facebook friend list have posted anything about Monson kicking the bucket. They all posted about Hinckles and tore their garments in mourning for Mrs. Monson, but nothing for the big cheese himself.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Atari ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 10:34AM

Sadly that has not been the case for my Mormon Facebook friends. I am resisting responding.

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 01:50PM

Me too.

Posted by: corallus ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 01:31PM

They're all waiting for fast and testimony meeting this Sunday....I'm dreading it. Lots of tears and then there will be the follow on "I know..." garbage related to the new guy.

I've watched Monson since I was a kid and I thought he told fun stories when he spoke at conference. But I'll be the last one to intimate that I knew the man. And I don't grieve for him any more than I would grieve for anyone else I never met.

I don't know how people make it so personal. It's almost like what they do with celebrities....creating an intimacy that doesn't exist.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 02:13PM

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 02:40PM

Not the case from what I have seen. In fact I am going to say that I do not need to go to church this week because I have read everything that will be said at fast and testimony meeting on Facebook.

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 03:52PM

That seems to the case with my TBM family. Nothing from them.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 06:37PM

I haven't seen any of my mormon friends post anything about it. Not that I have many mormon friends these days, but I have a few.

Posted by: exmimion ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 08:02PM

Around me and my children, it's been almost like a Mormon gag-order. It's part of the Mormon shunning. My Mormon former friends didn't tell me about a neighbor dying, either. These things are just too sacred for the likes of us apostates. We might smile, and sully their enjoyment of mourning their Holy Prophet of God.

I'm amazed that any Mormons dare to read RFM, right now.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 09:07PM

Electronic billboards along I-15 in Salt Lake and Utah Counties have, “President Thomas S. Monson, in Memoriam.”

Because these are electronic bbs, ads for joining the Marines and personal injury lawyers flashed afterwards. Truth in advertising!

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 09:12PM

Only a few Mormons on my FB list have posted something about Tommy's death, ranging from just sharing the Des News article, to a lengthy post about him in the written form of what you hear on Fast Sunday. The person who posted their "testimony" with a picture of him is someone who quickly got engaged, married, and pregnant in less than a year after returning from her mission. The first child was born just a month shy of their first wedding anniversary.

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 10:16PM

Huh? Somebody died?

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 10:25PM

Lots of people are offering a moment of silence after pulling the tabs on their Pepsi's.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.