Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 02:36PM

Will he continue with Mr. Tan and the Crying guy or pick some new ones from the Q12?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 04:35PM

My guess is he keeps Monson’s FP. They officially have more experience “running the church” than him now, after filling in for a mascot all that time.

Posted by: scmd not logged in ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 05:39PM

I suspect Sparty is right, though I've heard rumors that Peterson doesn't especially like Uchtdorf. It will be interesting.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 05:46PM

I don't agree with that assessment .

As Prez of the 12, Nelson very likely is more closer with those men than with the 2 who have been part of the 1st prez.

I won't be surprised if it's 2 other men, men with whom he feels more at ease with.

Posted by: weedo ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 05:53PM

He will stick with the two already in place. Rarely, has that varied. Hugh B Brown was the last one passed over and sent back to the Quorum and that was almost 50 years ago. Neither Hal or Dieter have health issues that makes a change necessary.

Alvin R Dyer is probably turning over in his grave again!

Date: January 05, 2018 05:58PM

Did Monson, when he became president, choose different men? (I know he had been part of 1st president for a long time )

Posted by: xxMMMooo ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 06:15PM

I think they only switch it up if the new Prez was formerly one of the counselors, though then again that may be why the Prez usually doesn't pick the next two apostles in seniority to be his counselors ... maybe they'd be too close to the top or something.

Date: January 05, 2018 06:36PM

xxMMMooo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think they only switch it up if the new Prez was
> formerly one of the counselors, though then again
> that may be why the Prez usually doesn't pick the
> next two apostles in seniority to be his
> counselors ... maybe they'd be too close to the
> top or something.

I don't remember who, but there have been a recent times where a member of the 1st president was the president of 12, so there was an "acting president of the 12" or something like that.

I do think they pick who they have confidence in, are comfortable with, whatever.

There is not standing policy other than he gets to choose who he wants, and it doesn't even have to be a member of the 12.

Posted by: Particles of Faith ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 08:00PM

First Presidency before Monson

Hinckley—President
Monson—1st C
Eyring—2nd C
Packer—Acting President of 12

First Presidency during Monson

Monson—President
Eyring—1st C
Uchdorf—2nd C
Packer—President of 12 then Nelson—President of 12

It is not necessary for a counselor to be an apostle as has been mentioned. The last time this happened was in McKay’s Presidency when he had 5 counselors. Brown and Tanner were 1st and 2nd respectively. They were apostles. Joseph Fielding Smith was an additional counselor and also President of the 12. Thorpe Isaacson was a high priest (in the presiding bishopric) and was made an additional counselor but had a stroke and could not function soon afterwards so Alvin Dyer (an assistant to the 12) was added as another counselor. Dyer’s case is interesting. He was ordained an apostle after joining the first Presidency but never sustained as a member of the 12 so after McKay died the quorum decided to send him right back to being an assistant to the 12. I guess they didn’t care much for him.

J. Reuben Clark was brought into the first Presidency in 1931 as a high priest (in fact, if I remember correctly he was a seventy and had to be ordained a high priest upon being made 2nd counselor). When he was advanced to 1st counselor in 1933 Heber Grant had him ordained an apostle and sustained as a member of the 12 but he never lived long enough to become president.

Posted by: en passant ( )
Date: January 06, 2018 09:53AM

You are correct. Hinckley called Monson to the FP from his position as President of the Q12. Packer was then elevated to Acting President of the Q12 while Monson was out of the Quorum serving as Counselor. After Hinckley died and Monson became Prophet, Packer became official and was no longer in "Acting" status.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 06:19PM

Hatch and Mittens.

That way they don't need to select new apostles

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 06:20PM

Damn! I got a message from Nelson on my cell phone, said he wanred tobtalk to me..

I'm not calling back,

Posted by: 6 iron ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 06:39PM

I'm voting for....

Key and Peele !!

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 06, 2018 09:32AM

Not old enough. Cheech and Chong.

Posted by: tig ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 08:04PM

Oaks and Bednar

Then the transition to the dark side will be complete!

Posted by: unbelievable2 ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 11:54PM

It cannot be Oaks because he will be the top guy in the Q12. I forgot his new title.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 06, 2018 12:12AM

Oaks can be a councillor then they have an acting president of the 12.

Date: January 06, 2018 03:00PM

Heartless Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oaks can be a councillor then they have an acting
> president of the 12.

This...
As a previous pointed out, Monson was called to the 1st presidency even though he was president of the 12.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 06, 2018 02:49PM

I keep reading this as: "So who'd Willie Nelson chose for the fap?"

I still don't have an answer, though.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: January 06, 2018 03:26PM

Just received my revelation (although I don't like to boast but this is just one of many), and the winners are:

the Charming Silver Fox (Uchdorf) and, drum roll pplease, Sour-pickle-man himself, Bednar.

Posted by: Gheco ( )
Date: January 06, 2018 08:46PM

Russell’s cousin from the country, Willie Nelson, would be a great first counselor.

And, to show the LDS diversity, Samuel L. Jackson would make a great second counselor.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.