Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 02:07PM

Some time ago I seem to have read that there was an unofficial name for older Elders that were never ordained high priests.

Do they assign inactive elders over a certain age to the high priests?

What about elderly widows? Are they assigned High Priests as home teachers?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 02:13PM

Heartless Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Some time ago I seem to have read that there was
> an unofficial name for older Elders that were
> never ordained high priests.
>

Inactive

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 02:45PM

Posted by: Heartless: What about elderly widows? Are they assigned High Priests as home teachers?

No male representatives of the church are allowed to visit young or elderly widows, as the church doesn't want any female to be able to claim (or sue) that some priesthood man sexually assaulted them.

Some men come with their wives (happened once or twice with me).

Also, two male missionaries with a teen boy (who is retarded), and a member of the Stake Presidency, all came together to my house once, to serve me the sacrament.
P

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 05:47PM

I wonder, too. I was a TBM divorced single mother, and all of my HT's were high priests. I didn't think about that until now. They never came to my house alone. One had his wife come with him. Often many months, and years, would go by, when I didn't have any HT visits at all. Divorced women were very low priority, and often overlooked. The widows in our ward were bit tithe-payers, and were well attended to. Now that I think about it, as my career took off, and my tithing payments increased, I began to get attention, to the point of being harassed! I was the only one in the ward who played the organ well, so suddenly I had value to the group.

My ex-husband was labeled as an "inactive elder."

My father didn't care about becoming a high priest, but they made him one, anyway. I don't think he was even there--it was the Utah ward where our summer cabin was--and he was informed, the next summer. He wasn't very happy about it, but he went along with it, for Mom's sake. Dad was 76 at the time. His calling was always to teach the gospel doctrines class, so the HP was not required.

Yes, dad had to go to the HP class, because of his age, even though he was still only an elder.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 10:31PM

Where can you find a high priest when you need one?

Posted by: 64monkey ( )
Date: January 09, 2018 11:44AM

High Priest? Is that a reference to a spiritual person in San Francisco during the 1960s?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 09, 2018 02:23PM

"I require a high priest, but not that high, you know?"

- -Judic West, Earl of Pearl, Bailey

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: January 09, 2018 05:18PM

Way back when, it was Deacon, Teacher, Priest, (perspective elder?), Elder, 70, High Priest. Does that sound right?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 09, 2018 05:26PM

For a hundred plus years 70 was between elder and high priest.

Then God changed his mind.

Perspective Elder was usually for an adult male over 20 I think. Too old to be with the 16 year old priests. Often was a convert waiting his time to be an elder.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.