Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Will Charmer ( )
Date: January 10, 2018 04:09PM

I’m an inactive member of the church. I have recently been doing drag for a living but my parents keep saying that it goes against gods rules and it is cruel to transgenders. But first of all I have never read anything in the Bible or the Book of Mormon saying that dressing up and playing a role of the opposite gender is bad, not even the family a proclamation to the world says that I can’t dress up. Second, how is it offensive to transgenders when they are literally the ones that started the drag culture? I don’t see a problem with dressing up so someone please help me understand

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 10, 2018 04:24PM

You already understand!

Posted by: Charlie ( )
Date: January 10, 2018 04:27PM

The church is the same yesterday, today and forever. Brigham Young's son performed in drag on a regular basis. D. Micheal Quin wrote on book on same gender attraction in the church in the 1800s. Interesting read.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: January 10, 2018 05:29PM

A picture of Brigham Morris Young in drag:

http://www.connellodonovan.com/abom.html

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 10, 2018 04:33PM

Drag is entertainment. Victor/Victoria was a huge hit for this very reason and I bet your parents loved that show Some Like It Hot with Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis in drag. And how about La Cage aux Folles. Maybe get them a copy of those shows for the next holiday. Great entertainment. Pretty much loved by all. Oh and the kid in Chorus Line. Drag is legendary entertainment when done well.

Your parents are uncomfortable with your drag and are grasping at straws to make you change your mind. This won't be the last time you make your parents uncomfortable. They need to adjust while you continue to be you. Just be as loving as you can and be as entertaining as you have in you. Drag is an art and has been down through the ages. What about Kibuki?

If they still keep going, just tell your parents to look in the mirror the next time they are in their temple drag.

Don't let anyone stop you from being yourself.

Posted by: valiant ( )
Date: January 10, 2018 05:12PM

I would just follow up by saying that the truth about who you are and how you should live your life isn't in the bible or book of mormon or any other so-called scripture. It's in you. I agree you shouldn't let anyone or anything stop you from being yourself and enjoying being yourself.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 10, 2018 05:17PM

Tell them you're simply following in the footsteps of one of Brigham Young's sons:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B._Morris_Young

:)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.