Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 05:30AM

I don't want to say who or where. But he tells ExMo's opposing the Church that they will die of a horrible rotting disease that Brigham Young claimed had stricken the mob involved with killing Joseph Smith. His demeanor is such that he enjoys the idea that people who oppose the TSCC with words are going suffer the worst fates.

There is a 19th century book with some affidavits swearing that certain mobocrats had suffered horrifically before dying. Terrible fates--burnings, whippings,you name it-- including a dreadful disease that rotted their noses, joints, and other places.

I don't believe a word of it, sworn affidavits or not. Crazy hear-say. I don't feel sorry at all for what happened to Joseph and Hyrum. The mob was only trying to protect their community from more lootings, plunderings, burning of barns and houses, murders, and constant threats. All by those very Mormon Danites. Everyone knew that Joseph was behind it all. Hyrum was involved, too. I can't see God getting revenge on the men who did not want to see any more suffering of the innocent, and were likely terrified that their daughters could be coerced into polygamous marriages.

I'm glad that I keep my real name and place of abode off the internet. This nutjob sounds so threatening that I truly believe he would like to go after some people for demeaning the LDS church. How dare they! God will surely get his revenge! He called me an evil spawn of Satan destined for****. I had gently pointed out that DNA, Archaeology, and Linguistics do not support the Book of Mormon. I am hardly quaking in fear that God will strike me with a rotting disease and a horrible death. I do wish, however, that Psychiatric cases who don't respond to medication were kept in hospitals like they used to be.

There are much more gentle TBM's who think that ExMo's who speak out online with the facts are going to suffer at God's hands, but they are willing to let God handle it in His own way, whenever. They don't act like they enjoy the prospect of God getting his revenge on you. They are simply convinced that Mormonism is true, and that anyone who speaks against it (facts or not), is going to suffer some Divine fate.

So many Ex-Mo's try to explain things, with links to sources. I guess people can't bear to hear it. I once could not bear it either. Rather than be freaked out with reality, it's tempting to believe that God is one day going to pounce on all those lying Ex-Mo's. We will get our just desserts!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 06:38AM

The curse !

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 09:18AM

Believers have been threatening me with all sorts of nasty imaginary things (hell, diseases, cancer, etc.) for 30+ years.

I've learned to ignore their crazy.

BTW, the "curse" stories about Smith's killers are false (mormon source):

http://ww.w.mormonismi.net/pdf/kosto1poulsen.pdf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2018 09:20AM by ificouldhietokolob.

Posted by: brainwaked ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 10:28AM

Nary a person escapes life by any other means than death. It's plain stupid to say that LDS followers will escape that fate, or avoid suffering. Pity that the promise fails, every time.

A hater's problem is that he is not an actual angel of death, unless he breaks the Big Ten. It's a serious dilemma for him, that his only "legal weapons" are words. Too bad for him that those weapons make no sense at all, and mostly serve to reveal the darkness within, the darkness he tries to promote as a sad substitute for authentic morality.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 10:38AM

When I was young I heard all that horrible death stuff in a priesthood meeting. What a warning! Scared me.

Also, when I was young the story was told, from the pulpit even, that a priest who was drinking beer decided for fun to raise his arm to the square and bless the beer with the sacrament blessing. His arm immediately shriveled up and was no longer of any use at all.

Yeah. Right. But most everyone was sucking the story up like it was true because they really really wanted it to be true, like *that* was proof the church was true.

When you need rotting body parts to prove your God you may be a little desperate and your God may be a bit scummy.

Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 11:32AM

syphilis rots the nose in the final stages - it was a scourge in the nineteenth century, especially among the well-to-do who took a 'grand tour' of europe before marriage, picking up the disease en route and spreading it around.

It is likely the rotten nose part of the curse was because a proportion of the 'sinful' neighbours the mormons had run ins with managed to pick up the disease from whores or other 'loose living'. They would likely die in the later stages of the disease, with their nose -and possibly other parts - rotted away.

Bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy at the time, really.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 11:43AM

Slightly OT, but it reminds me of the infamous "Negro letter" from Mormon Apostle Delbert Stapley where he pointed out the terrible deaths of some of those who supported the "negro cause"--inferring that God had made it clear where He and Joseph Smith stood on the "negro question" and those in power who opposed it could be punished...

Sick stuff.

Date: January 16, 2018 06:19PM

It seems that I've heard this Delbert Stapley thing before. What was the time period?

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 12:07PM

I want to meet the person who believes in the cursings of the mormon church... I have some land they may be interested in purchasing.

Posted by: synonymous ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 12:54PM

All exmos? Like, *every single one*? Needless to say, that TBM is a raging imbecile.

That so-called fate (popularized in Lundwall's inane "Fate of the Persecutors of the Prophet JS" has been questioned in the Deseret News of all places:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705377262/A-different-take-on-the-Carthage-mob----BYU-Studies-Symposium.html?pg=all

and has been debunked by Dallin Oaks himself in his own book "Carthage Conspiracy: The Trial of the Accused Assassins of Joseph Smith":

http://www.holyfetch.com/talk_faves/mob_deaths.html

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1674414

and wasn't even believed by Ezra Taft Benson:

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1767425

That TBM is not in harmony with the Brethren and is therefore an apostate. Perhaps he should be informed.

Date: January 16, 2018 06:21PM

I knew that the Brethren didn't support it. But some nuts convert to the church, dig up this old stuff, and think it's the Gospel Truth.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 01:07PM

Not. My life has been much better since leaving than it ever was as a mormon. My life when I wasn't going to church was pretty good, but then Sunday and mutual always came around.

I heard a little bit of Nelson's talk as I was going over to the grocery store. He invited those who have wandered from the path to come back. Sure, I want to be part of that group. I want to go to the fictitious CK so the mormons can treat me like they always did. I'll take my chances. I'm not in the least bit worried.

Date: January 16, 2018 01:11PM

Somewhat related.

My entire TBM family is WoW obsessed and follow it to the max --perhaps fudging a bit on red meat (it's just a suggestion), but otherwise . . .

My mother called me once to see if I knew where she could get green tea tablets because the doctor said green tea would be good for her. Of course I said, just drink some green tea. She was horrified. "Oh, I could never ever do that!" she said in her best "I am Mormon, hear me bore voice."

So, do they run and not get weary? Walk and not faint? Uh, not so much. Most in my family have very serious health issues--a list of tough ailments as long as your arm.

Guess who doesn't? Knock on wood, of course--don't want to jinx it, but I am the one with perfect health at seventy. I am also the one who realizes a lot of it is the luck of the draw.

Long live coffee and chardonnay! AND GREEEEEEEN TEA!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 01:20PM

Done & Done Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So, do they run and not get weary? Walk and not
> faint? Uh, not so much.

Guess how many mormons have won Olympic marathons...?

Go ahead, guess...

Yeah.

None.

How about that.

Date: January 16, 2018 01:34PM

Hahahaha. What's that old saying? Oh yeah . . ."Proof's in the pudding." Uh, oh.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 01:54PM

The only one rotting is Monson, and probably not much due to interment. Poor worms.

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 07:44PM

I believe Dallin Oaks dispelled the notion they all died horrible deaths in his book Conspiracy at Carthage years ago.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 07:47PM

Umm pretty sure i can't suffer any more than i have.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.