Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Reg Poster, Anon for This One ( )
Date: January 17, 2018 02:36PM

At this relatively old and jaded time in my life, I have little or no use for any kind of established religion.

I do, however, like the occasional references to pagan sun feasts or fire feasts, such as Beltaane and Samhain. As I understand it, Wicca generally follows and celebrates the passing of the seasons (fairly benign.)

I don't like the notion that individual practitioners are referred to as "witches." That is a very negative word. And I don't like the notion of being lumped into a "coven." That's even nastier than a ward.

I have considered making up a series of wreaths for the front door, like one laced with red ribbons and hearts for February, one laced with green ribbons and shamrocks for March, etc. Both of those would celebrate Christian holidays, so they would not appear blatantly pagan.

I have no religious affiliation at all, any more, and no particular beliefs. But I like the idea of celebrating the passage of the seasons as the Wiccans do. It seems very connected to the earth, and basically harmless. Kind of a Gathering of Latter-Day Hippies.

I've looked up a few references to Wicca, and I like a good bit of what I've read, except that one reference talked about belief in a goat-headed deity, which is nonsense.

Can anybody recommend some good references to Wicca? I would love to learn more. I'm interested in it more as a way to look at the world, than as a religion. I'm just not into religion any more.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 17, 2018 02:38PM

>
> I've looked up a few references to Wicca,
> and I like a good bit of what I've read,
> except that one reference talked about belief
> in a goat-headed deity, which is nonsense.
>

Ah! So you haven't met BYU Boner....

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: January 17, 2018 03:57PM

I have two friends who are Wiccan. Both revere the earth and are gentle folks who would not like to be called witches. Like many old/rediscovered faith communities, there’s a lot of misunderstanding. I’d talk with someone in your local Wiccan community for more info.

As for my buddy, Elder Old Dawg, he’s just jealous because have more hair than he does.

Date: January 17, 2018 05:28PM

BYU Boner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> As for my buddy, Elder Old Dawg, he’s just
> jealous because I have more hair in my ears than he does.
>

I fixed it for you, my White & Delightsome friend!

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: January 17, 2018 08:30PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> BYU Boner Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> >
> > As for my buddy, Elder Old Dawg, he’s just
> > jealous because I have more hair in my ears and nose than
> he does.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: January 18, 2018 01:40PM

Haha the battle between the dog and the bone hahaha. Classic.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: January 17, 2018 03:06PM

I don't know of any reference that I can give you, but I have a SIL who is witch (I let go the stereotype over the word long ago) and she is very earthy, lovely lady. :)

I have respect for Wiccan beliefs.

Wiccan is often times confused with Satanism. Very different.

Posted by: a nonny mouse ( )
Date: January 17, 2018 03:14PM

I have dabbled in Wicca and one day realized that one of the things I didn't care for as a Mormon was the formalized ritual. Whoa does Wicca have way more formalized ritual! So then I backed away. I still favor earth centered spirituality, but in a much more loose eclectic style

Posted by: kestrafinn (not logged in) ( )
Date: January 17, 2018 03:53PM

That's not correct.

Some people want formalized rituals, but not all Wiccans do them.

I personally know plenty of Wiccans who don't do ritual at all.

Posted by: A nonny mouse ( )
Date: January 17, 2018 06:20PM

I'm talking about my experience, so that's perfectly true. It doesn't mean that would be a universal experience.

Date: January 17, 2018 03:20PM

Despite being an inactive atheist, I have kept to heart something I saw in my youth that really, really impressed me:

"Just follow the bouncing ball..."

This advice has seen me through to my seventh, and best, decade ever!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxmZ5sabk7U

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: January 17, 2018 03:26PM

Hello my dear. Yes, it is I, Good Witch Of The Rockies, back to help you on your quest.

Yes, I'm Wiccan (been so for over 25 years). I do like the title Latter-Day Hippies though. I might need to steal that one from you.

So, for an easy read on DIY Wicca (also called Solitaries), my go-to book for possible students is "Wicca a Guide for the Solitary Practitioner" by Scott Cunningham.

One thing that you need to know about the religion that is much more academic, is that it was started by Gerald Gardner in the pre-WWII. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Gardner_(Wiccan) HOWEVER please note that this can be a little sugary. There are many Traditions (Denominations) that have sprung up since, changing, deleting and adding things along the way. It really is a DIY religion.

We have taken back the words "Witch" and "Coven" very much like the gay community has taken back the words "queer" and "fag". We stand proud as members of a religion that uses spells and rituals. We stand proud as members of a religion which has small groups where the members might be still anonymous. Hence Witch and Coven.

That should start you on your way. May your Path be clear.

Heidi

Posted by: kestrafinn (not logged in) ( )
Date: January 17, 2018 03:51PM

Fellow Pagan here. I started out identifying as Wiccan, but over about a quarter century, my path has gone a bit wandering, so generic Pagan it is.

Wicca (and Paganism in general) is purely what you make of it. Some people crave it to be intensely personal. Others crave belonging. For some, it's a celebration of Gods and Goddesses. For others, it's not.

Witch and Coven are not negative words, and they certainly aren't nasty. They are merely words. Unlearn your connotations of them, which come from sources that use them to intentionally demonize those who are "Other."

Blessings to you, and best of luck on whatever Path life takes you...

Posted by: samwitch ( )
Date: January 17, 2018 03:57PM

Merry meet and welcome!

For starters:

Patti Wigington of ThoughtCo is one of my favorite online guides: https://www.thoughtco.com/intro-to-paganism-step-by-step-study-guide-4006913

The Celtic Connection is also good: https://www.wicca.com/

An older but fun site you may enjoy: http://www.paganprincesses.com/an-introduction-to-different-pagan-paths/

There are many different spiritual paths, and Wicca is just one of them. There are no rules about how you have to practice, when, where, or with whom. I enjoy practicing as a solitary pagan, and have never felt the need to join a circle or coven.

"Witch" is not a negative word; neither is "coven." A coven is simply a group of people who practice their chosen pagan path together. A "witch" is someone who uses natural energies and their own intention to create positive change in themselves or their environment.

My recommended read: Witch Crafting by Phyllis Curott

The "goat-headed" deity is Baphomet and is not part of Wicca. You are correct about seasonal celebrations like Beltane, Samhain, and Yule, though. There are actually eight. Here's an image and explanation of the Wheel of the Year: https://thehousegoddess.wordpress.com/2013/03/04/12-18-12-wheel-of-the-year/

You'll notice that many Christian holidays come from pagan ones; this is a reason some of the seasonal symbols and decorations are the same. Appearing "blatantly pagan" is not necessarily a bad thing, but if you wish, it's easy to be discreet and still have lots of beautiful, seasonal decor that affirms your spirituality.

There are many different Wiccan traditions. You can choose whatever resonates with you or, like me and many others, create an eclectic practice all your own. You can do as much or little as you want at any given time. Local pagan stores are a great way to find like-minded people, or you can check Meetup.com for local groups and celebrations.

Posted by: OP ( )
Date: January 21, 2018 03:11AM

The more I have read about Wicca, the more I feel drawn to it. It seems to embrace a generally benign worldview, kind of like the Hippocratic "First, do no harm." I like that.

Within my family and community, I will probably have to stay fairly closeted, but from what I have read about Wicca so far, it feels like a warm pair of slippers.

Since cold feet are the bane of my existence, a warm pair of slippers is high praise, indeed.

Thanks again, everyone, for the references. Much studying ahead!

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: January 17, 2018 04:03PM

Wicca, like almost everything else in this life, is heavily dependent on the people who practice it. There's no central authority in Wicca and you'll find different people doing different things under the same banner of paganism, wicca, witchcraft, etc. What you're not going to find is a conduit to ancient beliefs and practices that have been passed down through the ages. Wicca is a 20th century recreation of what some people think that paganism was like centuries ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wicca#Debates_over_the_origin_of_Wicca

You will find good, friendly people that are wiccans. You will also find controlling and self-centered people. It's all about the people.

If you don't like the terms "witches" and "coven", then don't use them. Others may disagree, but there's nothing inherently negative about those words.

Some wiccans may believe in a "goat-headed deity". Others won't. A lot of wiccans don't really believe in any of it, but like the chance to go out in the woods and mess around with friends. Don't take descriptions of unfamiliar deities literally; there tends to be a lot of symbolism in their descriptions. For example, Hindu deities are often represented with multiple arms, but that doesn't mean that such beings literally said to have that many limbs. The multiple arms are symbolic of the gods' powers.

The Horned God in wicca is the male counterpart of the wiccan goddess, who is associated with the moon. The animal head and horns are symbolic. You can read about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horned_God

Do what makes you happy. Hang out with people that make you happy. Life's too short to do otherwise.

Posted by: Nottelling ( )
Date: January 17, 2018 05:23PM

I read about Wicca 20 plus years ago and thought I remember something emphasizing sexuality, or even practicing/worshiping in the nude. Is that true???

Posted by: samwitch ( )
Date: January 18, 2018 09:43AM

Nudity is not a general Wiccan practice, although there's no rule against it, either. People are free to practice however they want, skyclad before their deities, robed, or in sweat pants. There is no emphasis on sex as part of worship, although some Wiccans raise sexual energy and channel it towards whatever goal or change they're working on. That said, many Wiccans recognize and celebrate fertility as an important part of nature and life, and the Wheel of the Year follows agricultural cycles that include growth, harvest, and death/rebirth.

Posted by: PollyDee ( )
Date: January 17, 2018 05:35PM

I don't understand why you feel that you have to subscribe to a "belief" system at all. We are all physiologically connected to the earth, the water, the environment, the passing of the seasons, even the phases of the moon. The problem is that humans can drastically manipulate their environment, so much so, that most of us have lost a sense of our connection to nature. We can restore that deep sense of connection or spirituality, if you will, by simply immersing ourselves in natural world. Hanging seasonal wreaths or growing a garden are simple, first steps in acknowledging our innate connection to the natural world. The deeper you allow yourself to be immersed and in rhythm with the natural world, you will experience a expotential sense of contentment, peace, and spiritual connection. No "beliefs" necessary.

Posted by: Kendal Mint Cake ( )
Date: January 17, 2018 06:21PM

I don't want organised religion. I like nature though, celebrating the seasons, being valued as a female regardless of age or beauty, feeling free and not being oppressed by patriarchal society.

Date: January 18, 2018 04:19AM

I only like the 'nice' aspects of nature though - not diseases and suffering. I buy the Earth Pathways Diary for the nice pictures.

Posted by: incognitotoday ( )
Date: January 17, 2018 07:04PM

Nature is my god. Just straight up no frills. Standing and absorbing all there is at a hidden mountain lake with brookies taking flies. Giant mountains. Sitting on their peaks seeing nature for endless miles in all directions. Sipping icey water from glacier runoff. Mixing wild onions and garlic in my trout dinner. Touching a bristlecone pine that’s thousands of years old. Picking up a piece of petrified wood. Digging up a fossil. Putting it back in awe. Sun dipping below the horizon while holding a cold brew. Watching aspen leaves shaking in a breeze. Robins at the buttcrack of dawn. Watching ants move their colony twenty feet down the sidewalk. Enjoying the smell of a woodfire. Looking into the eyes of my wife. A deep scratch taking care of my livestock. Blue skies. Hot sun. Frozen mornings. Nature!!

Screw all religion unless a person needs to be told how to think about everything that exists in NATURE...

Posted by: mightybuffalo ( )
Date: January 17, 2018 11:24PM

Speaking my language! Hence the screen name-- my one and only spirit animal.

Nature is sexy. Always has been. Funny how it's become a sort of 'fad' these days for younglings like I.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 18, 2018 12:03AM

The Japanese are big lovers of nature.

When I went to visit there in 2014 that is a large part of its tourism and experience of living there.

Some would call that pagan, but for them it is a way of life and being.

It's a beautiful culture and people.

Posted by: JamesL ( )
Date: January 17, 2018 07:09PM

Another Pagan here. Not Wiccan; I'm a Druid.

Nice to see others walking similar paths.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 17, 2018 11:59PM

Reading this reminds me of the Wizard of Oz when Dorothy gets asked what kind of a witch she is.

She replied she wasn't any kind of a witch at all. Glinda answered she was either a good witch or a bad witch, and there was the wicked witch of the east dead as a doorknob under the house that had landed in Oz.

When Dorothy learned Glinda was a good witch she was both amazed and surprised.

Without even trying to be one, Dorothy became classified as a sorceress in Oz. A good one, too. Because of the condition of her heart.

So ... are you a good witch or bad witch? Let your conscience be your guide.

Wiccan sounds interesting to me though I haven't really studied it much. I've found my source of spirituality in Judaism.

More power to you if it helps you to grow spiritually.

I love things that remind me of the seasons, and place wreaths on my door to reflect the changing ones. They go so fast is my only complaint (the passing years!)

:-)

Posted by: jackman ( )
Date: January 18, 2018 11:15AM

The word “witch” means a wise person. That’s not offensive at all. It was the Puritans through ignorance and fear that demonized witches.
As an atheist, I now understand that casting a spell is basically just a declaration statement for what you want to happen. When it comes down to it, spelling is basically just praying.
So pray, cast spells or say positive declaration statements. Whatever, it’s all the same thing.
If it can reprogram your subconscious to change your behavior and outlook in a positive way, go for it.

But for me and my house, we will serve the god of the universe, Science. :)

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 18, 2018 11:45AM

jackman Wrote:
> The word “witch” means a wise person.

Well...possibly. But probably not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch_(word)

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 18, 2018 11:43AM

You can celebrate the seasons without all the rest of the baggage in wiccanism...

Just sayin'.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: January 18, 2018 12:34PM

Absolutely true. But, some of us find comfort in the rituals.

I loved hearing other Pagans shout out. I haven't been to the site in quite a while, and last shout out there were not this many of us.

so LET YOUR FREAK FLAG FLY!!!

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: January 18, 2018 01:00PM

"Drawing Down the Moon" by Margot Adler.An old book but a good overview of neo-paganism.

I have always been drawn to the old feasts and pictured the year as a wheel from early childhood without knowing anything about Pagan beliefs. I am of Irish Celtic descent on my father's side, and can see how many Pagan customs were just repurposed as feasts of Saints instead of Goddesses.

I have a wheel of the year pendant and quietly celebrate the old feasts to honor my ancestors. I am also Catholic culturally but do not have any carved in stone fixed beliefs. I do have hopes and do what brings me comfort, and am drawn to ritual.

Posted by: Lilac ( )
Date: January 18, 2018 02:24PM

This is an interesting thread. I am someone who also loves learning about Pagan thought and worship. Nature really is something else so it doesn't surprise me so many worship it in so many different ways. Celebrating the seasons is enjoyable no matter what beliefs anyone holds. Thanks to all for sharing their experiences and further reading suggestions.

Date: January 20, 2018 03:57PM

We have loads of traditions like this in the UK

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5291667/

Posted by: waunderdog ( )
Date: January 20, 2018 05:53PM

Modern Wicca is sort of a grab bag of stuff. So just do the same and make up your own rituals. Give it whatever name you like, or no name at all.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.