Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: vigilant ( )
Date: January 20, 2018 03:41PM

The Unforgivable Sin -- Criticism
Allegedly the unforgivable sin is "Sin Against the Holy Ghost", whatever that is or means. The truth is that any criticism of any Bishop, Stake President or General Authority will never be forgiven nor forgotten. It will almost guarantee ostracism from the organization. In the Endowment Ordinance under "The Lone and Dreary World" portion of the endowment, there is a prohibition of criticising the "Lord's Anointed". The exact words are "evil speaking of the Lord's anointed . . ."
Dalin Oaks, anointed Apostle and former President of Brigham Young University said, "You cannot criticize the Lord's anointed, even if the criticism is true." You can see how much regard Oaks has for the truth. People's wrongs over truth is the fact of the matter. I wonder if "anointed" means the first, second or all anointings?
Outlawing of criticism is a major flaw in any human organisation. If you outlaw criticism, of either people or programs, typically the problems will only become worse until it is so obvious that a change needs to be instituted. Changes will take place only after major damage has occurred and the situation is obvious to all. I am sure that there were people in Napoleon's and Hitler's armies who pointed out the dangers of invading Russia and facing a winter war. They were not listened to and major defeats were the consequence. There had to have been many in the United States military who objected to engaging in a land wars in Korea, Viet Nam and Afghanistan. The United States is littered with the bones of former corporations: Pennsylvania Railroad, Nabisco, RCA, MCI, Paine Weber, EF Hutton, Eastern Airlines, TWA, Braniff, Enron, Woolworth's, PanAm, General Foods, Pullman Co. etc. all of whom I am sure all suffered from the same ailment.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: baura ( )
Date: January 20, 2018 05:20PM

Criticism is alive and well in Mormonism. Leaders are free to
criticize anyone who is under them on the authority-food-chain.
Bishops and SP's and MP's are free to chew-out any of their
members, missionaries etc. In fact, back in the mission field
there was a name for a specially vehement chewing out of the
missionary by the MP. They called it being "called in on the
carpet and burned."

And the cool thing about this criticism, is it can be based on
the leader's perceived "inspiration." You can be chewed out for
something you didn't even do, as long as the Priesthood leader
feels he's "discerned" that you did it.

Sp false criticism from the top down is OK, but true criticism
from the bottom up is a sin.

Cult? Who said it's a cult?

Posted by: waunderdog ( )
Date: January 20, 2018 07:02PM

baura Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Leaders are free to criticize anyone who is under
> them on the authority-food-chain.

In other words, shit rolls downhill.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: January 20, 2018 07:13PM

I love to hear my relatives 'criticize each other' ---- it's normally about their church callings or attendance.

Someone is doing a 'more significant' calling while others can't do the minor calling they have.

Others are going to the library or just sitting out in the halls instead of attending their classes.

What tickles me the most is that they take each others criticism ----- seriously!!! I sense some real 'hate' toward members of their own family for what they said instead of the 'pure love of JC' flowing through these CK bound souls!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 20, 2018 07:15PM

Great post, vigilant.

Posted by: drone ( )
Date: January 20, 2018 07:19PM

vigilant wrote:

"Outlawing of criticism is a major flaw in any human organisation. If you outlaw criticism, of either people or programs, typically the problems will only become worse until it is so obvious that a change needs to be instituted.

This.

A smaller example. One of the insecure, narcissistic bosses at work implemented an expensive program, rife with fault and inefficiency. It took all of a month to outlaw complaints, on threat of termination.

We went from being a top-notch, cutting edge provider to mediocrity, at best. Litlle growth, low morale, high turnover. After several years, the program's been replaced, but that boss got promoted, blaming both the economy and the workforce. It wasn't the economy, because one could consider our product to be as necessary as - toilet paper. The workers were hog-tied, unable to suggest or make changes.

Afrer all, his bosses couldn't have been in error in hiring him and assigning him the responsibilities.

I suspect they're all invested in competitors, which would explain the apathy. Can't lose, no matter how badly they do. Early each evening, they climb into their $100k, company-bought cars parked in reserved spaces, and think nothing more of it, pleased as punch with their personal success.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.