Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ohdeargoodness ( )
Date: January 22, 2018 02:49AM

RM's, exmo's, nonmo's, and fellow converts:

Anyone ever see a real, live golden convert?

If so, how shiny were they and how long did they take to go LA (less active)? Or are they still in?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 22, 2018 03:12AM

Never. Tin, I've seen. Pig Iron and pyrite. I've seen those.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 22, 2018 05:58PM

Good one, Don!! There was some pig iron and a shitload of pyrite in my parent's old ward.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 22, 2018 05:25AM

My mom was one. Until she became inactive later in her life. Quit church, wearing her garments, moved in with jack Mormon boyfriend, resumed smoking ....

She never stopped believing to her dying day.

Posted by: GC ( )
Date: January 22, 2018 05:35AM

I baptized one many years ago asxa missionary. Unfortunately, he is still in and now a stake leader.

Plus, married a Mormon and have two very Mormon children. : (

Posted by: grudunza ( )
Date: January 22, 2018 10:13AM

Not sure what you consider to be a “golden convert,” but I’ve been told I was one. Answered the doorbell, baptized a couple months later. There’s more to it than that, but that’s the essential story.

I was active the first year, then completely inactive for about five years, then very active again for about twenty years before resigning in 2016.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2018 10:15AM by grudunza.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 22, 2018 10:19AM

I think Golden Convert means they baptize your checkbook as well.

Posted by: alisonwonderland ( )
Date: January 22, 2018 10:50AM

My parents were converted over 30 years ago. White, married couple w 3 kids. My dad was educated and had a successful career while my mom stayed home. My brothers served missions and we were all married in the temple. All and their spouses and kids have remained active except for me. I resigned 5 years ago but my husband and kids are still active. My parents still pay tithing and are temple workers. “Golden!”

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: January 22, 2018 11:12AM

My family were golden converts. My parents embraced and ran with it. Dad eventually became a bishop. However today my sibs and I are in different stages of disbelief.

As a missionary baptized a golden couple. They went to the temple and got freaked out, never again to return.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: January 22, 2018 11:40AM

I'm going to say my brother is a GC: baptized at 18 (the girlfriend who sucked him in was instantly "just a friend" as soon as he was dunked), mission, BYU, 5 kids who all served missions, bishop more than once IIRC (is that possible?) works at COB (so his tithing comes right of his paycheck I imagine).

However, two of his kids are very independent and not married, so maybe there's a crack in the shelf...

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: January 22, 2018 02:46PM

My parents converted before they met and married. They raised several children who served missions and all their children married in the temple. They've donated thousands and thousands of dollars over fifty plus years. I suppose that I'm the only hiccup in their story. But I was active and also donated thousands until my mid-forties.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: January 22, 2018 02:58PM

Nope

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: January 22, 2018 03:13PM

My MIL may qualify as a GC. She eagerly converted in her late 40s (she wanted to be baptized immediately, but the missionaries suggested she attend at least one SM before getting dunked), and immediately sucked in her two adult daughters. One daughter (my wife) immediately married a returned missionary and had six kids. The other daughter was already married, and though she couldn't get her husband to convert, her three boys converted and they are each now patriarchs of their own Mormon families.

Posted by: ohdeargoodness ( )
Date: January 22, 2018 05:55PM

Wow... it's impressive stuff. It's always interesting to hear how different families joined up. Even better to hear when the younger ones are all out.

Any GC's in the past 10 years though?

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: January 22, 2018 10:08PM

My family was so golden the entire ward worked on us. When the missionaries gave us the lessons they were always accompanied by someone with more "authority" to make sure they didn't screw up the discussions. When they showed the First Vision in our beautiful home, they didn't just use a film strip projector, but an actual two reel film projector (this was the 70s). Unfortunately for them the entire family was not baptized. Mom and dad divorced and dad wanted nothing to do with the Mormon church. Older sibs didn't join - just the three younger sibs. Still, there hadn't been a family like mine convert to that ward in years. After we were baptized they put a lot of effort into fellowshipping us: activities with different families every week, home teacher visits, etc. We were love bombed for sure.

I was very active for about 20 years and then finally saw the light and got out. My younger sister was never into it at all and stopped attending pretty much after becoming a member. My mom stopped attending shortly before she died. My brothers (oldest joined years later) are still TBM, especially the oldest whose kids are very TBM. My younger brother is still active but only one of his four kids is.

So, thanks to my mom, the mormon church still has 5 tithing payers from my family with the potential for more if my mom's TBM grandkids produce tithing payers.

Posted by: laurad ( )
Date: January 23, 2018 08:01AM

I was a golden convert. Convert at 15, stayed in the church for over 16 years, many callings, active temple goer. And then I became a golden apostate.

Posted by: idleswell ( )
Date: January 23, 2018 01:50PM

My step-son-in-law and his wife must be the most golden of all converts coveted by the LDS missionary machine.

What makes them so golden? SiL is a professional with a stable business in a town with few such individuals. They would be salivating at his potential for leadership in a community with few people with more than a Grade 4 education.

But the DiL is by far their trump card. She is also professionally employed - and she is a LAMANITE! Imagine how they can promote the Church by demonstrating a LAMANITE with a real career. She isn't really Lamanite, but an Inuit looks Lamanite enough to suit their racial narrative.

Since they are a dual career family living in a town where a home costs ~$15k, this family would have (or be perceived to have) gobs of disposable income to drain.

The LDS missionary machine has been after them. They mentioned that a Mormon doctor tries to involve them in Church. The DiL works at the same hospital. As a 5th generation Mormon, the doctor is descendant of Mormon pioneers in this province.

Fortunately their lives are full. They wouldn't have time for 3+ hours of LDS Church on Sundays and then everything they demand throughout the week.

I haven't taken an aggressive posture against the Church, but allowed them to quietly learn how the Church governs and over governs people's lives. Their doctor/missionary has 6 children; one child is enough for them. When they asked me if any of their daughter's clothes would fit my granddaughter I let them know that the TBM grandmother would reject almost all of the shirts (because they did not have sleeves).

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.