Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tamboruco ( )
Date: January 25, 2018 10:32AM

I find it interesting that the church feels it has to publicize what Uchtdorf has been assigned to do. Sounds like a bit of pandering to those that were upset that the airline pilot's wings were recently clipped.

Seems like his 'punishment' continues as he was just assigned the worst gigs in the church - leading an ineffective missionary force and the European areas of the church where inactivity is super high. All I can wish Uchtdorf is good luck - and be sure to work in plenty of golf up there @ Eaglewood just across the street from your nice, church funded twin home. Oh, and don't forget to spend time at your million $$$ plus home @ The Ledges in Park City. Maybe you can spend some time with Mitt?

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865695279/Church-leaders-announce-new-assignments-for-Elder-Uchtdorf.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 25, 2018 10:36AM

Gotta fund those McMansions. Keep those tithing dollars coming, members.

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: January 25, 2018 11:13AM

That's sure setting him up to fail.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 25, 2018 11:17AM

"...and European saints..."

All fourteen of them are ecstatic. :)

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: January 25, 2018 11:40AM

Fourteen now? I guess they got another African immigrant convert recently.

I suppose Herr Fruchtdorf doesn't see it this way, but being thrown under the 747 is one of the better things to have happened to him. Looked at dispassionately, his new gig is a great sinecure. I sure wouldn't mind having it.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 08:08AM

You made me laugh out loud :-D

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: January 25, 2018 11:51AM

Just now picking up on the demotion.
Hopefully he'll waste a lot of LDS, Inc money jetting back and forth to the Euro missions which seem to be dying a slow death.

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: January 25, 2018 11:54AM

I wonder if this re-assignment is intended to get him back in Europe for a while with less time in SLC? He is fairly progressive compared to the rest of the 15 - I can't imagine they like having any type of dissent in their meetings.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: January 25, 2018 04:52PM

That would be my impression too.

Uchtdorf is too European in outlook to suit the old fossils in power right now.

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: January 25, 2018 12:15PM

I agree. Sending him there is just a way to get rid of him. Seems the new prez .. is not his buddy..

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: January 25, 2018 12:15PM

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: January 25, 2018 12:24PM

Siberia and Outer Mongolia especially need Uchtdork's attention!

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 25, 2018 12:28PM

Maybe he asked for the European area.

It's not unprecedented for an apostle to move to an area and directly run things.

David O McKay, as an apostle, spent over a year touringthe missions around the world.

He was later Mission President over all of Europe and resided in London.

Maybe he wanted to move to europe.

Posted by: weedo ( )
Date: January 25, 2018 02:42PM

Excile on Main Street...

Many years ago the same happened to Ezra Taft Benson, sent to Europe. Or, as some members said in hushed tones, "we was exciled!" When the Leader wants you out of the limelight, this is what happens.

Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: January 26, 2018 01:27PM

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: January 25, 2018 01:18PM

Hey, I’d like this assignment! I’ll trade him my Utah Home and Delta frequent flyer point (in coach) for his church housing, travel allowances, and European living expenses. (He can keep his Second Anointing.)

It’s a shitty assignment, but someone’s got to do it!

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: January 25, 2018 02:50PM

Is Nelson shipping him off to Europe just to steal his wife. Oh wait! —that was Henry Jacobs.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 25, 2018 03:21PM

Maybe he was depressed because he's had fewer assignments that required him to fly. Now he can be jet-setting to and fro.

Posted by: waunderdog ( )
Date: January 25, 2018 04:22PM

As I've written before, I think DU was selected as an apostle in hopes of energizing European Mormons. (After all, he's not related to any of the brethren.) When that didn't do much, he was elevated to the 1stP. But that didn't move the needle either, so now they're probably sending him there to cheerlead in person.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 08:11AM

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: January 25, 2018 04:48PM

Maybe he'll get sick of it and resign. What a lovely thought.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 25, 2018 07:00PM

Yeah, wonder what would happen if he demanded emeritus status, as in, "I'm a retired apostle; I hear no Jesus, see no Jesus, and speak no Jesus, but keep the salary coming."

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: January 26, 2018 01:27PM

Members of the Twelve have been excommunicated before. If I were him, I’d stay far away from SLC.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 25, 2018 07:02PM

He was supposed to save Europe. Now it becomes an albatross hung from his neck.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 26, 2018 01:20PM

Hell either move to Europe or get plenty of expense paid trips home. Sounds like a good gig to me.

Posted by: C2NR ( )
Date: January 26, 2018 04:48PM

Perhaps he was exposed to things that weakened his testimony. Perhaps he was somehow sheltered from the historical problems and Book of Mormon problems until recently. Maybe that is why he seemed to have more sympathy to those who were struggling or left. Perhaps he has enough integrity and conscience to be bothered by things. This is probably just wishful thinking.

I see that Oaks had to put into the first presidency because he needs some experience being in the first presidency before he takes over the ship.

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: January 26, 2018 06:47PM

Isn't missionary work in Europe dead!???

Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: January 26, 2018 07:19PM

instead of Europeans, if any at all.

Posted by: European ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 07:19AM

"Isn't missionary work in Europe dead!???"

Slow but far from being dead. Uchtdorf can still find a meaningful post in trying to enhance the missionary work in Europe. But it's slooooow.

Posted by: munchybotazv2 ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 07:31AM

being really, really, really good looking? Honestly, though, if you ask me, he's starting to look less wordly and more creepy, like the others.

But seriously, what do we suppose is the reason he's being punished?

Date: January 27, 2018 07:42AM

Doubt your doubts regarding Uchtdorf. He is as devoted as ever. Without Monson he would probably never have become an apostle, but there he is and won't go anywhere. Business as usual.

I met him several times as a young missionary in Germany. He was a stake president at the time. Nice person.

Date: January 27, 2018 07:50AM

He is not being punished. Nelson of course likes Uchtdorf but he likes Oaks more, because Oaks has no language limitation etc. Oaks can be more effective in presidency, because no cultural and language limitations.

Posted by: Anon3 ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 05:47PM

Oakes is the head person over law and lgbtq since 1985. Wife on left hand, Oakes on other, they're going to duke it out. Ucdorf is going to handle missionary efforts in Europe.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 10:03PM

Uchtdorf might enjoy regular travel to Europe. It sounds like a good gig for him. Probably nothing will help with missionary work in Europe, but sending the church's most charismatic (and European) apostle can't hurt.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.