Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 05:58AM

The aliens are coming. If only it didn't take them so long to get here, we might already be history. As many as 10,000 'Kolobs' could inhabit our galaxy alone! ;-)

"....In 1961 astronomer Frank Drake devised a simple equation for estimating the number of "technically active" societies in our galaxy. That bit of easy math is known as the Drake Equation, and it's often said to be the second most famous formula in science (the first being Einstein's E = mc2).

If you look up the formula online, you'll see that it takes into account the odds that there are habitable planets around other stars, the likelihood that life will arise, and the probability that biology will occasionally evolve to produce clever beings. But even without wrestling with the Drake Equation, we can use similar reasoning to gauge the plentitude of alien societies and how close the Klingons might be.

We start with recent research showing that one in six stars hosts a planet hospitable to life. No, not one in a million. One in six. So let's take that number and run with it. Next we have to make a few assumptions. In particular, if you were given a million Earth-size worlds, what fraction do you think would ever beget technically sophisticated inhabitants?

Life on our planet began quickly: random chemical activity in 350 million trillion gallons of ocean water spawned a reproducing molecule within a few hundred million years. So maybe biology doesn't need much of a goad to get started. I don't think it's unreasonable to figure that at least half of all planets suitable for life actually produce it.

Intelligence is less certain. The dinosaurs were a good design but didn't do well in school. But let's say that one in 100 biology-encrusted planets eventually coughs up some thinking beings. And, as per Frank Drake, let's also assume that any Klingons out there continue to hang out for 10,000 years before self-destructing (nuclear war, anyone?) or meeting some other woeful end.

Do the arithmetic, and you'll find that one in 100 million star systems has technically adept inhabitants. That's not much different than the fraction of jackpot tickets in this week's Powerball lottery.

So how close are the nearest signaling extraterrestrials? If we're going to pay good money to fire up the warp drive and visit some bumpy-headed aliens, how far do we have to travel? Well, the average distance between stars in our part of the galaxy is 4.2 light-years (the distance to Proxima Centauri). That is, for every cube of space that's 4.2 light-years on a side, you'll find (on average) one star. Now imagine a bigger box, 2,000 light-years on a side. It will contain 100 million star boxes, and one sophisticated civilization.

By this rough and ready calculation, the nearest aliens are probably between one and two thousand light-years away. In other words, no closer than the three bright stars of Orion's Belt. Sure, alien neighbors might be farther — or closer. But this order-of-magnitude estimate tells us that they're not next door. They haven't heard our news reports, and they're not likely to have any incentive to visit. They simply don't know we're here.

By the way, we probably aren't going to visit them either. Today's fastest rockets would take at least 20 million years to get there, by which time you're going to be awfully tired of on-board pretzels.

Yes, the aliens are likely around, and 10,000 societies could inhabit our galaxy (not to mention those other galaxies!) They're not close. But they may be discoverable. That's why we continue to search the sky for radio signals launched into the ether long ago by our cosmic brethren."

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/simple-math-shows-how-many-space-aliens-may-be-out-ncna841371

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 07:22AM

I think it's egocentric and asinine to deny that there aren't likely to be quite a number of reasonably advanced... uh cultures, societies, technologies, er... Pick one...

Out there.

The problem isn't just "interstellar space faring," however. Ordinary communication via the "electromagnetic spectrum" is also problematic.

A conversation that requires umpteen years or more for few exchanges of pleasantries isn't likely to lead to much.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 07:31PM

SL Cabbie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think it's egocentric and asinine to deny that
> there aren't likely to be quite a number of

Is that what you really meant to say?

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: January 28, 2018 12:38PM

And I wrote it after a night behind the wheel, but here it is, "translated properly."

What I said was it was asinine to "deny the likelihood" of other advanced life forms with evolved "civilizations" elsewhere in this galaxy.

But as noted, barring a "suspension" of the known laws of physics--i.e. developing a "warp drive"--face to face contact isn't going to happen, and even communication would be extremely slow and problematic, which was the point I added.

/sputnik generation member and rocket scientist's kid's voice off

Addendum: I suggest not discussing this with TBM's on other forums, however. It's nearly as pointless as arguing with a Creationist.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 09:06AM

On the other hand. ....

I read many years ago a book stating we were the only advanced civilization in the galaxy.

The author pared down the thousands of possible civilizations by comparing numbers of quasars, deadly radiation blasts, extinction events, ice ages, war, disease etc.

He also looked at natural resources. Did the planet have the rare earths, fuel source, iron deposits etc to build a civilization.

In the end he determined the odds were so low that we ought not to exist.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 09:49AM

Yes, but "many years ago" the immensity of the Universe was not as appreciated as it is now.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there more galaxies in the Universe than there are stars in the Milky Way galaxy? The point being that when you're talking long odds, the Universe has the means and materials to beat the odds.

But this kind of thinking makes it likely that if there are other reasoning beings, they won't be living too close to us... Unless the circumstances that gave rise to the above noted 'natural resources' in this neighborhood, also gave another "Goldilocks" planet the opportunity to manifest intelligent life.

And then who is to say that our "Goldilocks" zone is the only one that can create life? The moon Titan could be home to a vibrant life-scape.

Imagine a planet so rich in resources that there was no competition for their use; what ethos might denizens of such a planet manifest, where nothing was scarce?

Posted by: Kessler the Nevermo ( )
Date: January 28, 2018 03:40PM

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 11:02PM

We’re an advanced civilization?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 10:08AM

The bad news ... we ain't going there.
The good news ... they ain't coming here.

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 08:51PM

HA! Thanks for that one Dave!

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 11:18AM

Just to be the 'contrarian' they are 'around' they have been here for a long time. Many have reported seeing them or their craft. The government is well aware of them.

I and many others have remote viewed them. They are advanced and want little to do with us. I get the feeling based on my intuition they will not allow us to destroy earth!

Based on my 2 'blind RV' sessions involving the moon, I drew an industrial building aliens used to mine. The other session I drew 'non humans (didn't get a good view of which aliens)' were extracting minerals from the surface.

Based on studying what is up there, I believe it is Helium they are mining. http://www.popularmechanics.com/space/moon-mars/a235/1283056/

Oh yes the US has 'desires' to mine this also. Again, many years after finding it on the moon???? Well this would probably require the US admit to aliens as the aliens may not want to share. We will see!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2018 05:56PM by spiritist.

Posted by: scmd not logged in ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 08:14PM

spiritist Wrote:
> Just to be the 'contrarian' they are 'around' they
> have been here for a long time. Many have reported
> seeing them or their craft. The government is
> well aware of them.
>
> I and many others have remote viewed them. They
> are advanced and want little to do with us. I get
> the feeling based on my intuition they will not
> allow us to destroy earth!
>
> Based on my 2 'blind RV' sessions involving the
> moon, I drew an industrial building aliens used to
> mine. The other session I drew 'non humans
> (didn't get a good view of which aliens)' were
> extracting minerals from the surface.
>
> Based on studying what is up there, I believe it
> is Helium they are mining.
> http://www.popularmechanics.com/space/moon-mars/a2
> 35/1283056/
>
> Oh yes the US has 'desires' to mine this also.
> Again, many years after finding it on the moon????
> Well this would probably require the US admit to
> aliens as the aliens may not want to share. We
> will see!

The odds that there's no other intelligent (?) life in the universe other than on Earth are so staggering as to be arrogant, but among the many people who have "seen" examples of this intelligent life are my across-the-back-fence neighbor Billie Lou, who also speaks to King Henry VII on her Spaghettio's-can-and-copper-wire constructed special phone every time there is a blue moon. I take some of what I hear with a lot more than a grain of salt.

Date: January 27, 2018 08:37PM

The odds that there's no other intelligent (?) life in the universe other than on Earth are so staggering as to be arrogant, but among the many people who have "seen" examples of this intelligent life are my across-the-back-fence neighbor Billie Lou, who also speaks to King Henry VII on her Spaghettio's-can-and-copper-wire constructed special phone every time there is a blue moon. I take some of what I hear with a lot more than a grain of salt.

I don't understand what you are saying but if you are interested in knowing what RV has identified as far as 'aliens' a number are on utube.

However, even though I have 'experienced' alien life on the moon from remote viewing I would not go to 'I know' until it is a proven fact which I believe it is and 'officially released' which it has not been.

As far as my 'remote viewing' I am a 'novice' with around a year's experience but I don't do RV projects often.

I thought I would get back into it and make a utube video asking 'spiritual questions' and getting answers via RV. The 'alien questions' I feel have been adequately covered by professional RV people with 20 or more years of experience. The professionals mainly worked for the government then became consultants. There are quite a number on utube.

Out of 3 projects I have 'documented' I have had 2 amazing ones where I described the targets in great detail. Those provided answers to is there a God responsible for us and do we/souls survive the death of the body.

The third my wife either gave me the wrong 'target number' or I wrote it down incorrectly. I was pretty frustrated but actually did get the 'basics of the target' for a 'yes' which clearly showed that target versus the target for the 'no' response. I had to discard this project as I was viewing the wrong target number regardless of results.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2018 08:41PM by spiritist.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 12:06PM

As long as I’m asleep when they probe me, I’m good.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 12:44PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation

It's still just a guess.

As for aliens...the Universe is vast beyond all imagination.

"Don't destroy the one named Kirk..."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T02QXwfJ_yw

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2018 12:48PM by anybody.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 01:58PM

Someone recently said that we earthlings must be pretty conceited to even *imagine* otherworlders wanting to visit this warlike speck in space more than once.

Date: January 27, 2018 02:19PM

And anyone so inclined is probably not the best representative of its species, but probably a member thought 'insane' by all the others.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: January 29, 2018 04:39PM

One of the best arguments that there is indeed intelligent life out there is the fact that they haven't visited us.

Date: January 27, 2018 04:41PM

Or our planet may be part of a cosmic "Route 66," therefore not an afterthought by the powers-that-be over us. We could be a scenic route, given some beautiful pit stops along the way.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 04:59PM

Amyjo Wrote:
> Or our planet may be part of a cosmic "Route 66,"
> therefore not an afterthought by the
> powers-that-be over us. We could be a scenic
> route, given some beautiful pit stops along the
> way.

I like this image...

:)

Date: January 27, 2018 07:36PM

I'm one of the few agnostics on this that I know of. Everyone
says things like "there HAS to be other intelligent life out
there," or, "we can't be the only civilized planet in the
universe."

I have no idea. Even given the Drake equation I am clueless. As
far as I know there could be trillions of other advanced
civilizations out there, or maybe we are the only one.

I don't know.

And I suspect you don't either.

Date: January 27, 2018 09:16PM

Statistically, the odds favor there is intelligent life elsewhere in the universe.

That's the essence of the Drake equation.

Date: January 27, 2018 09:44PM

I personally can't imagine 'anyone' with any education at all about the size of the universe could come to any other conclusion.

Date: January 27, 2018 10:18PM

I'm hopeful the intelligent life that exists beyond our own finite thinking, is vastly superior to ours at least randomly speaking.

We've evolved from cave men. Other civilizations are logically either more advanced or backwards - and that's only in scope ie, comparison with ours.

The sheer possibilities of other intelligent life forms is intriguing to say the least.

Date: January 27, 2018 10:50PM

Amyjo said:

> Statistically, the odds favor there is intelligent life
> elsewhere in the universe.

> That's the essence of the Drake equation.

Could you run the numbers for me and show how "that is the
essence of the Drake equation"?

Date: January 27, 2018 11:01PM

It's in the article posted above.

Date: January 27, 2018 11:13PM

From the article:

"Next we have to make a few assumptions."

The assumptions are not unreasonable, but they are pretty much
"pull it out of your hat" assumptions. If the assumptions are
way off (and they easily could be), then the final probability
that the Drake equation gives will also be way off. That's why I
say I don't know.

The one term that has changed in the Drake equation is the number
of planets. When Drake first wrote the equation we didn't know
whether or not planetary systems were common around stars or not.
Our solar system was the only one known. Now That number is
much better known.

Date: January 27, 2018 11:06PM

"The Drake Equation
Support SETI Research

Drake Equation
"What do we need to know about to discover life in space?"
How can we estimate the number of technological civilizations that might exist among the stars? While working as a radio astronomer at the National Radio Astronomy Observatory in Green Bank, West Virginia, Dr. Frank Drake conceived an approach to bound the terms involved in estimating the number of technological civilizations that may exist in our galaxy. The Drake Equation, as it has become known, was first presented by Drake in 1961 and identifies specific factors thought to play a role in the development of such civilizations. Although there is no unique solution to this equation, it is a generally accepted tool used by the scientific community to examine these factors.
-- Frank Drake, 1961

Frank Drake at board

Where,

N = The number of civilizations in the Milky Way Galaxy whose electromagnetic emissions are detectable.

R* = The rate of formation of stars suitable for the development of intelligent life.

fp = The fraction of those stars with planetary systems.

ne = The number of planets, per solar system, with an environment suitable for life.

fl = The fraction of suitable planets on which life actually appears.

fi = The fraction of life bearing planets on which intelligent life emerges.

fc = The fraction of civilizations that develop a technology that releases detectable signs of their existence into space.

L = The length of time such civilizations release detectable signals into space.

Within the limits of our existing technology, any practical search for distant intelligent life must necessarily be a search for some manifestation of a distant technology. In each of its last four decadal reviews, the National Research Council has emphasized the relevance and importance of searching for evidence of the electromagnetic signature of distant civilizations.

Besides illuminating the factors involved in such a search, the Drake Equation is a simple, effective tool for stimulating intellectual curiosity about the universe around us, for helping us to understand that life as we know it is the end product of a natural, cosmic evolution, and for making us realize how much we are a part of that universe. A key goal of the SETI Institute is to further high quality research that will yield additional information related to any of the factors of this fascinating equation."

https://www.seti.org/drakeequation

Posted by: NYCGal ( )
Date: January 29, 2018 05:30PM

An interesting and recent NYTimes Magazine article on Drake, SETI, METI, etc. . . .

https://nyti.ms/2tjRt1n

Date: January 27, 2018 11:16PM

Illegal Space Aliens!

Build the wall, but make it higher!!!!

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 11:33PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> Illegal Space Aliens!
>
> Build the wall, but make it higher!!!!

Who pays for the wall? The Kolobians?

Date: January 28, 2018 10:22AM

I think I'd rather make a trade: the wall for DJT.

Sounds like a fair trade to me.

:)

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: January 28, 2018 04:12PM

The Space Aliens are out there--they're just shunning us.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: January 28, 2018 05:03PM

kathleen Wrote:
> The Space Aliens are out there--they're just
> shunning us.

I can't say I blame them. Who in their right mind would want to
acknowledge people who believed in such a ludacris premis.

I love it. Hahahahhahahahaha

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 28, 2018 11:07PM

That is very amusing given our shared context.

Shunning us!

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: January 28, 2018 04:16PM

That's what I think too, Kathleen.

Can you really blame them?

Date: January 28, 2018 04:55PM

One thing for certain.

Space aliens can kick the fudge out of Moroni.

;P

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: January 28, 2018 10:42PM

Yes, they can, and they did!

Remember this?

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=39880680&nid=148

Date: January 29, 2018 01:53AM

Well blast!

Moroni's no match for Zeus.

Posted by: xxMMMooo ( )
Date: January 29, 2018 05:33AM

We don't need to physically come into contact with "them" or even engage in mutual radio transmissions, which given the distances involved would take way too long for a back-and-forth.

If a given species is at least as advanced as 21st century humans, they could broadcast gigabits of useful data in a wide spread just hoping to be picked up by anyone even if we can't return the message. Just knowing that there was an intelligent species out there able to send *something* would be pretty cool and actually hugely significant.

Heck we wouldn't even have to decipher the message. ... at bare minimum all that would be required would be to be able to confirm that it *is* an intelligent signal. That fact alone would be massively influential.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 30, 2018 09:54AM

Simple math *doesn't*, in fact, show how many space aliens are out there.

The "simple math" can give us an idea of the probability of alien life. But it can't tell us or show us they're actually there.

Put simply: the "simple math" can provide a reasonable hypothesis. But only evidence affirming the hypothesis can show us they're out there. Evidence as in contact, artifacts, etc.

Hey, I'm huge on math. Math is the language of science. Math can and does tell us a LOT about our universe. But mathematical probability does not substitute for evidence.

Date: January 30, 2018 12:45PM

"UFO encounters are often dismissed by skeptics as the product of attention-seekers, hoaxes, or simply overactive imaginations. But what happens when the UFO is seen by some of the most trained and trustworthy professionals around? Compared to encounters by ground-dwelling civilians, cases of UFOs seen by pilots and astronauts are some of the most credible UFO stories around.

These UFO sightings are, perhaps, the most convincing because these witnesses are highly respected professionals whom we trust with our lives. These individuals have nothing to gain by putting their careers and reputations on the line reporting bizarre happenings in the skies.

More shocking is the sheer volume of these reported incidents that happen every year. Here's a list of some of the more notable sightings of alien spacecraft by pilots and astronauts.

Pilots Chiles and Whitted Reported a Double-Decker "Flying Cigar"

Pilots Chiles and Whitted Repo... is listed (or ranked) 1 on the list "12 UFO Reports by Pilots and Astronauts That Will Have You Convinced"

The granddaddy of all UFO encounters. This one has been giving professionals the chills for decades because of the credibility of the witnesses and the fact that it proceeded "UFO mania" in the popular media.

The event happened in the early morning hours of July 24, 1948. Clarence Chiles, chief pilot, and John Whitted, co-pilot, were flying an Eastern Airlines passenger plane near Montgomery, Alabama, at about 5,000 feet altitude on a clear night.

At about 2:45 am, Chiles "saw a dull red glow above and ahead of the aircraft." He told Whitted, "Look, here comes a new Army jet job."

The object closed on their DC-3 in a matter of seconds, and flew past the right side of their plane before it pulled "up with a tremendous burst of flame out of its rear and zoomed up into the clouds." The pilots said that the object looked like a flying cigar with two decks and windows.

One of the plane's passengers, C.L. McKelvie, also reported seeing a "bright streak of light" that flashed by his window.

The military and scientific skeptics later challenged the account, saying that it was probably a meteor the pilots and passenger saw - although it must be pointed out that few meteors have windows for passengers or zoom straight up in a rapid climb, rather than falling down to earth. Additionally, both men claimed they got a good, long (10 to 15 seconds) look at the object. The event remains one of the most cited examples of credible "UFO" encounters.

Astronaut Leroy Chiao Reported a UFO While on a Space Walk with the ISS

In 2005, astronaut Leroy Chiao, commander of the International Space Station, reported a UFO encounter during a space walk. He and a colleague were installing navigation antennas when something unusual caught Chiao’s eye. Below him in the Earth's atmosphere he saw a line of lights that looked like "an upside-down question mark."

One non-UFO explanation for Chiao’s sighting offered by skeptics is that Chiao simply saw the bright lights of a fishing boat hundreds of miles below him. Of course, those would have to be some pretty insanely powerful fishing lights to be seen all the way in outer space - and why Chiao didn't see the lights of other boats all over the ocean has never been explained.

Lt. Gorman Engaged in a Dogfight with a UFO

One of the most well-known early UFO encounters involved Lieutenant George F. Gorman of the North Dakota Air National Guard, who said he had a twenty-seven minute "dogfight" with a UFO in the skies above Fargo.

On the night of October 1, 1948, Gorman was preparing to land his P-51 when he saw a light aircraft outlined plainly about 500 feet below him. He called the tower, but the operator there told him they knew of no other planes in the area.

Gorman informed the tower that he was going to investigate. He closed to within about 1,000 yards and took a good look at the object.

It was about six to eight inches in diameter, clear white, and completely round without fuzz at the edges. It was blinking on and off. As I approached, however, the light suddenly became steady and pulled into a sharp left bank. I thought it was making a pass at the tower.

Gorman says the light suddenly charged him. When collision seemed imminent, the object suddenly shot straight up into the air in a steep climb-out, disappearing overhead. Gorman again attempted to pursue it, but his plane went into a power stall at about 14,000 feet, and the object was not seen again. It was then 9:27 pm.

In the airport control tower, traffic controllers Lloyd D. Jensen and H. E. Johnson also saw a strange light near the airfield. In a statement to Major D. C. Jones, commander of the 17th Fighter Squadron at Hector airport, Gorman said he was convinced that there was "thought" behind the maneuvers.

George F. Gorman retired from the Air Force in 1969 with the rank of Lieutenant Colonel and settled in Texas.

Major Cooper Witnessed a UFO, But NASA Forbade Reporters to Ask Him About It

Major Cooper Witnessed a UFO, ... is listed (or ranked) 4 on the list

Even the original Mercury astronauts had strange encounters in outer space. Major Gordon Cooper (who was later famously played by actor Dennis Quaid in the blockbuster film The Right Stuff) had more than one UFO encounter.

The most well-known one took place on May 15, 1963, when he was shot into space in a Mercury capsule for a 22-day journey around the world. During the final orbit, Cooper told the tracking station at Muchea (near Perth, Australia) that he could see a glowing, greenish object ahead of him that was closing fast on his spacecraft. The UFO was picked up by Muchea's tracking radar - so there is no doubt it actually existed.

Cooper's sighting was reported by NBC, but when Cooper landed, reporters were told that they would not be allowed to question him about the UFO sighting.

Major Cooper later testified before the United Nations on the subject, saying:
I believe that these extra-terrestrial vehicles and their crews are visiting this planet from other planets... Most astronauts were reluctant to discuss UFOs... I did have occasion in 1951 to have two days of observation of many flights of them, of different sizes, flying in fighter formation, generally from east to west over Europe.

Pilot Bethune Spotted a Gigantic Floating Object Over Canada

Pilot Bethune Spotted a Gigant is listed (or ranked) 5 on the list

On February 10, 1951, US Naval Reserve Lieutenant and co-pilot Graham Bethune was occupying the captain's seat near Newfoundland, Canada, when he spotted a huge floating object (he claimed it was 300 feet in diameter) on a near collision course with their aircraft.

The co-pilot stated in his official report:

I observed a glow of light below the horizon about 1,000 to 1,500 feet [330-470 meters] above the water. We both [the pilot as well] observed its course and motion for about 4 or 5 minutes before calling it to the attention of the other crew members...

Suddenly, the object changed direction at incredible speed, and began to pulsate and change its colors, as well. Then it somehow reversed its course and tripled its speed until it at last disappeared over the horizon.

Bethune's report says that the object came within five miles of his aircraft - a fact proven by radar evidence provided by the DEW Line Ground Radar at the base in Goose Bay, Labrador, that tracked the object.

Two Turkish Pilots Saw a Mysterious Object - And So Did Citizens Below is listed (or ranked) 6 on the list

Pilots from Turkish Airlines were flying from the Turkish resort town of Bodrum to the country’s largest city, Istanbul. Suddenly, a mysterious green light appeared over the plane. As the pilot later testified,“An unidentified object with green lights passed 2- to 3,000 feet above us. Then it disappeared all of a sudden. We are guessing that it was a UFO."

The UFO was also reported to be seen around Istanbul’s Silivri district.

The General Directorate of State Airports Authority denied spotting any image that fitted the description of the pilot. Doubters claim that the pilots saw a green laser pointer that was reflecting off a cloud. However, it seems pretty hard to believe pilots would never have seen a laser pointer before - plus, that would have had to be a pretty huge laser pointer to create an effect such as they described.

For the record, pilots do not generally report fleeting flashes of light as UFOs.

[Airline Pilot] Andrew Danziger Claims That Most Pilots Believe in UFOs

This famous encounter was recounted by pilot Andrew Danziger. It happened during a routine flight on April 10, 1989. It was about 8 pm on a clear night with a full moon. Shortly after take-off from the Kansas City International Airport, Danziger saw a white disc clearly visible through the clouds just off to his right. It appeared to be flying parallel to them, matching their speed and direction.

The captain of the flight admitted he had noticed the same thing since they had leveled off. The pilots describe the light:

It looked similar to the moon faintly visible though thin fog, except the two were visible at the same time on opposite sides of our cockpit.... The captain and I had cumulatively spent many years flying and were accustomed to seeing - day and night - all manner of airplane, blimp, hot air balloon, satellite, and bird. But neither of us had any idea what this disk could be.

All of a sudden, the white disk turned into a giant red ball of light. The red light hovered in the air and then disappeared into some clouds as the plane descended for landing.

Danziger explains how common this is for pilots:

I'm not going too far out on a ledge to say that virtually all pilots believe in UFOs. Little green men, 'close encounters,' alien kidnappings... not so much. But with billions of stars and trillions of planets out there, 'ya gotta believe,' and almost all of us do.""

https://www.ranker.com/list/ufos-seen-by-pilots-and-astronauts/scottmarcano

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 30, 2018 12:54PM

"UFO" means UNIDENTIFIED flying object.
It doesn't mean "alien spaceship."

No matter how "trained" or "credible" the observer, it's still unidentified. Meaning the person (and we) don't know what it was (usually -- sometimes the scenario can be analyzed after-the-fact and determined what the thing probably was).

To turn "we don't know what it was" into "it was aliens" is more than a bit of a stretch.

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: January 30, 2018 03:05PM

Here is even more simple math:

Number of pieces of evidence for extra-terrestrials = 0
Number of credible E.T. testimonials = 0

0 + 0 = Zero.

This formula is subject to change as data is added.

HH =)

Date: January 30, 2018 03:10PM

Aha!!!! What if you MULTIPLY 0 times 0!!! Or square or cube it!!! I think we're onto something!!!!

Also, the first example, where the double decker cigar with windows shots straight up, "with a tremendous burst of flame out of its rear..."

Yeah, that's how you navigate between stars, with rocket propulsion at roughly the same or a bit greater speed than a DC-3.

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: January 30, 2018 03:22PM

You kill me elderolddog! =)

HH

Date: January 30, 2018 03:25PM

Happy_Heretic Wrote:
> Here is even more simple math:
>
> Number of pieces of evidence for
> extra-terrestrials = 0

I would guess thousands, why should the government tell us what they found.

> Number of credible E.T. testimonials = 0
That would have to come from the government/Air Force who 'studies' evidence they have been provided. Non government people claim there is a lot and have written many books, posted videos, posted utube information ----- have they all been debunked? If we don't know --- just say you don't know!

They classified their findings!! Why if there is 'no credible evidence' would they classify it??

> 0 + 0 = Zero.

Just like there is or isn't a God ---- whatever you want to believe you can!
>
>

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.