Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: vigilant ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 07:50PM

It has taken me decades to realize that tithing is the lifeblood of the LD$ church. Forget all of the jesus, priesthood, purity etc. speeches. once tithing significantly drops all else stops. I believe that this is happening. the third world will never be the golden calf.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: January 28, 2018 01:34AM

>>Tithing is the life blood of the Mormon Church.

Not...Even...Close.

Tithing is just a "drop in the bucket" when compared to the revenues generated and the holdings of the church from the "for profit" side of the ledger.

Date: January 28, 2018 09:27AM

excellent comment. it will increase our joint understanding

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: January 30, 2018 08:39PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2018 08:39PM by abby.

Posted by: Anonymous1234 ( )
Date: January 28, 2018 01:59AM

Tithing only allows the church the time and means necessary to get truely wealthy through other means. My dad used to tell me that he was too buisy making a living to earn any real money. When you have a consistant and reliable revenue stream that significantly exceeds your basic needs, you can do more speculative things that can make you wealthy. The church has amassed enough wealth by now (through tithing), that if all tithing revenues were cut off now, they could coast through negative cash flows for quite a while, if not indefinitely. On that note, this is something that I would like to see happen. Bad behavior should not be rewarded.

Date: January 28, 2018 09:38AM

I am sure that you are correct but note the continual drumbeat over tithing. Let assume that there are 100 tithe payers in a typical ward. Average "income," say $60,000 equates to $600,000 per ward. Quite a take or are my numbers seriously out of line? Someone has to be a former ward clerk who might have a better idea.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 28, 2018 08:30AM

One thing that I find interesting about Mormonism is that the church equates tithing with money that is due to or given directly to God. I never came across this attitude in the Catholic or mainstream Christian churches where donations are understood to be given in support of the church and its missions/aims. I think this is where the fear comes from for Mormons who reduce or stop tithing. They are afraid of angering God. They are afraid of not paying their "fire insurance" so they won't be burned in the last days. If that isn't coercion, I don't know what is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2018 08:32AM by summer.

Posted by: corallus ( )
Date: January 28, 2018 10:13AM

Totally true, but it’s worse than that.

If you don’t pay tithing at best you’ll struggle financially, at worst all your interests will collapse. This superstitious line of thought kept me in line for years.

I can’t even remember the number of times I heard someone describe some kind of financial hardship and someone at church say, “Well, are they paying their tithing?”

I finally looked at it logically and found there were ups and downs even when I was paying a full tithe.

I remember one year as a full (on the gross) tithe payer, my employer made a miscalculation in withholdings, and I ended up with a $40000 tax bill when I filed my taxes. With a little delay and penalty by the IRS I was able to scrape the funds together to pay it. But ouch! Going back to this in my mind whenever I’m tempted to think superstitiously helps a lot.

We have to recognize that it’s even worse for people who live hand to mouth. The superstition is powerful for those that are always on the edge financially, because any up or down in their situation can be attributed to a blessing or cursing. It’s classic operant conditioning. Very manipulative.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 28, 2018 11:23AM

Right. The mainstream Christian churches wouldn't even want a donation from their poorest members (or simply a token donation at best.) The churches would consider that abusive.

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: January 28, 2018 02:14PM

This is why they've co-opted the Old Testament word "tithing". To create a false sense of obligation they can quote OT scriptures about "robbing God", etc.

Tithing under Moses was a property tax--an obligation of landowners paid with produce and animals. It was nothing like the cash grab / guilt trip practiced by TSCC (and many non-mormon churches too).

Posted by: selina babe ( )
Date: January 28, 2018 11:47AM

I have not paid tithing in years and a man behind me at aldi paid my 57 dollars in groceries because I did not have it. I have experienced other blessings while not paying tithing.

Posted by: Justin ( )
Date: January 29, 2018 07:44AM

The only way I could have paid the $100,000 I would have paid in tithing over the last 20 years would have been to depend on the charity of the LDS Church. Even then I would have had to declare bankruptcy. Now I am out of debt and able to retire in a few months. So I have a testimony of the financial blessings of not paying tithing. And my current church doesn't claim God will send me to hell for not paying it. I contribute, but it's a contribution that is within my means.

Date: January 29, 2018 09:35PM

I used to pay titheing but became totally broke and almost destitute under that scheme. how dumb I was. however financial reality happened up my eyes so wide that they will never close again

Posted by: munchybotazv2 ( )
Date: January 29, 2018 08:19AM

they'd let same-sex couples participate and probably also give women the priesthood.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: January 29, 2018 02:56PM

Tithing is now the kindling or after thought. The $7 billion is welcomed but the church could operate for years from all the investments and land deals.

Departing your money to the mormons is foolish. The temple sucks anyway.

Let them take your recommend. Less jobs you have to do. It makes church easier. Less responsibility. Let the young folks volunteer.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.