Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 28, 2018 10:35AM

This is about turf, not about faith:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/23/us/louisiana-school-prayer-lawsuit/index.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2018 10:38AM by anybody.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 28, 2018 12:08PM

Seriously. What purpose does it have to make everyone stand and listen to the Lord's Prayer every morning at a public school?

Do the believers who like to pray feel so insecure that they have to announce that they are praying to a god every day?

Do believers who do this think people haven't already heard of prayer or the Lord's Prayer and aren't smart enough to pray before they get to school?

Do the believers think they are enforcing Christianity through repetition?

Do the believers think their Christian prayer is any more important to be reciting than what other people might believe?

In my opinion they do this to be in-your-face with their religion and customs. They don't like change or diversity. Like with other issues they feel strongly about, it isn't enough that they are free to believe as they want, they have to force it on others.

You can pray out loud nonstop at your homes and church. You can pray in your head in public places for cripes sakes. Are they so insecure that they can't teach their kids to pray at home and church? They need to teach their kids they can't go 8 hours without vocally talking to a god?

Do they not recognize how controlling and fearful they seem? Imagine how upset they would be if they were forced to go recite Muslim prayers at given times and expected to face a certain direction with their butts in the air.

IMO, (many) Christians are causing more hostility against themselves because they can't seem to grasp that being able to believe as you want does not mean making others comply with your beliefs or constantly forcing others to spend their time indulging your need to put your religion everywhere. It's obvious to me that this type of Christian is not really concerned for others but more concerned about control.

Good for that family for pushing back. It takes a lot of courage to stand up and be hated for publically calling out this kind of thing. That prayer sh!t at everything is out of control in the South as it is.

Time for me to send a donation to the ACLU.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: January 28, 2018 12:46PM

If you've never lived in the bible belt, you can't even imagine this happening. It's been going on for 100+ years. It's as powerful as the mormon influence in Utah government. It's kind of ironic. Louisiana was founded by French Catholics, hence Parrish's instead of counties, but is overwhelming ruled by Southern Baptists. I'm glad the kid was backed by her Mom. Good for them.

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: January 29, 2018 02:13AM

Only the northern part of Louisiana is Baptist.

The more populated south - especially the greater New Orleans area - is Catholic.

I can remember as a 6 year old kid asking a fellow kid - are you Catholic or are you Public?

I thought there were only two religions - Catholic and Public. I was born and raised in Catholic New Orleans.

Posted by: Non-believer ( )
Date: January 28, 2018 12:23PM

Well, the bible calls them hypocrites, in one of the passages most beloved of Christians, The Sermon on the Mount:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_6:5

So, it cannot be of or about being Christian, or following the Word of God, or those of Jesus.

It is doing what their bible condemns.

Funny, that an atheist would need to mention this.

Date: January 28, 2018 12:34PM

It's always interesting to watch Christians cherry pick and spin which things they have no problem being hypocrites about.

We're all hypocrites of course, but some of us aren't using a god to justify it.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 28, 2018 12:25PM

It's not about prayer. It's about christian privilege and political power.

Date: January 28, 2018 12:35PM

True that.

Date: January 28, 2018 12:48PM

The correct way to state that, in Cajun Country, is "Truu Dat".
Geaux LSU!

Date: January 28, 2018 01:27PM

Thanks for that!! Saw Justin in Jackson, MS and Lafayette probably 30 years ago. Also loved a guy named Lewis Grizzard. Truly one of a kind guys.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: January 31, 2018 02:13AM

I became very fond of him during the decade I lived in the N'Awlins area. I love his accent - so common to the people I worked with. Brings back very happy memories.

We saw appalling levels of illiteracy and poverty there, too, but there were some charmingly quirky local behaviors and speech patterns. I remember Justin saying "Ah gay-ron - TEE dat!"

To this day, my son (who spent much of his childhood and teen years in Southeast LA) and I can amaze the rest of the family by lapsing back into Cajunisms, and send the rest of the family into howls of laughter.

I wouldn't want to live in Louisiana forever, but I enjoyed the time I spent there. It's kind of a state of mind. Not just Mardi Gras.

Posted by: 64monkey ( )
Date: January 28, 2018 01:24PM

Why do they want to turn the United states into a religious Christian theocracy? Stupid blind morons want the USA to become what they claim to despise about Muslim countries. Crazy "my god is better then your god" delusion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2018 01:25PM by 64monkey.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 31, 2018 04:01PM

even though they know it's not constitutionally legal.

I doubt true Christian faith is behind any of this -- just cultural battles over turf and imaginary external threats.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2018 04:02PM by anybody.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.