Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: JustWondering ( )
Date: January 30, 2018 04:53PM

Just out of curiosity, is their anyone out there who has left the church, but continues to wear their garments because they find them super comfy? My mom doesn't believe in the temple or church doctrine, but still wears her garments (tops and bottoms.) I asked her if she still wore them because she still believes in them and she said no, she wears them because they are really comfortable. I have never worn garments, but I don't see how they could be comfortable. I would imagine they would bunch up under your clothes. Especially if you are wearing pants or an undershirt on top of your garment top. It also seems like they would be aweful for when you're on your period since they fit loose (especially if you're wearing the mesh ones). Maybe I am wrong though, maybe they are comfortable. What are your thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: January 30, 2018 04:58PM

God no. I couldn't stand them when I was TBM. They came off long before I resigned.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 30, 2018 05:11PM

"Really comfortable?"

I guess a person can get used to (and feel comfortable with) anything.

There are lots of words I would use to describe garments for the 3 years I wore 'em. "Really comfortable" wouldn't be 2 of them.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: January 30, 2018 05:17PM

I wore mine for a little bit after leaving, but as a male i always found wearing the tops to be uncomfortable and the bottoms to be unflattering.

When i bought a set of normal boxerbriefs for the first time, the garments went into the garbage bin. and no i didnt cut out and burn the symbols first.

Posted by: danr ( )
Date: January 30, 2018 05:24PM

I left the marks in them and then glued them onto my car fenders--perfect protection. I saved 15% on my car insurance.

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: January 30, 2018 05:51PM

Awesome. A white talking salamander told you that, right?

Posted by: Free418years ( )
Date: February 10, 2018 08:51PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2018 08:52PM by Free418years.

Posted by: paisley70 ( )
Date: January 30, 2018 06:06PM

LOL!

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 30, 2018 06:01PM

I know several men that wear the top at work to better fit in and get good assignments and all that.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 30, 2018 06:06PM

I loved wearing them at the Y, when I first got back from the mission field... It was the only time in my life that four women in a row said yes to my request for a first date. White women!!!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 31, 2018 12:35PM

Posted by: mightybuffalo ( )
Date: January 30, 2018 06:24PM

I wore undershirts before getting endowed so was used to that. As far as mine are concerned.... UGH can't wait to take them off.

Counting down the days....

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: January 30, 2018 06:27PM

We filed for divorce in June 1997, I moved out about 2 weeks later.

Took all my clothes including my garments. I lived in downtown SLC and on a nice day, I was able to walk to ZCMI downtown, I bought 2 packs of Jockey Brand boxer briefs and some t-shirts.

Walked home, took my garments off, put the new undies on and put the garments in a 2 trash bags and walked them out to where they burned the trash every so often. Didn't stay to watch to see what happened.

Never thought they were comfortable or stylish or necessary, for that matter.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: January 30, 2018 07:07PM

One of my nonmormon/catholic friends that I met here years ago

actually bought some garments and used to wear them ... Don't ask

why, I don't know except that he was crazy for all kinds of

religious things like the jewelery, the vestments that priests

wear and things like that. He also got a recommend from one of

his mormon friends to get into the temple and he went !

He was sort of fascinated by religions and ended up becomming

a Buddist Which has tons of pretty things to wear.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2018 07:09PM by saucie.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: January 31, 2018 11:12AM

No way.

I stopped wearing G's before I left the LDS Church. They all went in the trash on or about the time I resigned. I guess it might have been good to keep a pair for display as a conversation piece, but folks can just as easily plug the terms into search engines and find a picture.

They were uncomfortable for me. They were just too much in the summer, and made for very sweaty days. My g's would also ride up in various uncomfortable ways. It's nice to have choices, and change your mind about what underwear works for you.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: January 31, 2018 12:28PM

Hubby started wearing them after our temple wedding. He was raised Mormon, but never believed. I didn't know.

He liked the mesh fabric and being able to easily custom order extra tall tops.

Fast forward 20 years, I happily, happily tossed my garms in the trash. I thought he would do the same.

He refused. He's used to them and he's not comfy without an undershirt and I can't find regular ones that are lightweight and long enough.

I hate it when they show. I finally snipped the bottoms to a reasonable length.

It must confuse the hell out of people who recognize what he's wearing while he sips his bourbon.

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: January 31, 2018 12:39PM

While I would never wear garments again, I willadmit that the the mesh fabric was fairly comfortable as far as underwear goes. Couldn't stand the other stuff, too hot and bulky.

Posted by: janis ( )
Date: February 10, 2018 09:21PM

Funny, that mesh felt like wearing sandpaper to me.

Posted by: jackman ( )
Date: January 31, 2018 01:19PM

I can't wear a shirt without an undershirt. I just like the feel of a cotton tee against my skin and it makes my nice shirts go longer between washings and last longer.
I recently told a member friend my exit story and she, seeing my white shirt poking out of my top shirt said, "but you are still wearing garments". I said, "No I wear Haynes T-Shirts on top and whatever I want on the bottom".

Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: January 31, 2018 01:22PM

TBMs are obsessed with talking about them. Or so it seems. My TBM sister-in-law came to my house for the first time a few summers ago. It gets pretty hot where I live. Anyway, within minutes of her walking in she was talking about her garments and how the heat didn't bother her while wearing them. I was floored. I've been out of tssc for 20 years and my hubby is a nevermo. It was so odd and inappropriate. I don't make it a point to walk into someone's home and start talking about my underwear.

Another time I hosted a book club night at my house for my sister's all-TBM book club. Some of the women I like, one is my neighbor, so I thought eh why not. Wrong. Somehow they all started a big long conversation about garments. It went on for 20-30 minutes. I've never worn them, as I bounced out of tssc at age 18. They all know that I'm exmo/inactive/whatever label they put on me. It was so uncomfortable and weird and my nevermo hubby could hear all of it from another room. They couldn't have that convo another time in another location?

Good, bad, or indifferent, they are obsessed with them.

Posted by: knight2284 ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 02:16AM

Just recently out but still wears mine :/

Posted by: janis ( )
Date: February 10, 2018 09:09PM

I took those things off and felt like i'd instantly lost 10 lbs. My clothes fit better, looked better, and stayed put. I didn't realize how much time I spent tugging at, and rearranging my clothing. Don't miss those long johns.

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: February 10, 2018 09:37PM

I must admit I still wear the long bottoms as pant liners, especially under woolen slacks, which itch like crazy. And they're cheaper than the pant liners you buy in the department stores.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 11, 2018 06:21AM

Passion Killers

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.