Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 12:19PM

They sent official mormon estate planners to my elderly mother's home to talk about leaving her assets to the church. My mother agreed to leave everything she owned to the morg except for the costs of her funeral and burial. She signed papers and told me and my sibs not to expect an inheritance. That was fine with me because it was her estate, not mine.

My very TBM sister talked her out of that plan. Sis sat in on a follow-up meeting and insisted they draw up new paperwork to counter the agreement.

In the end the estate was divided among the children equally except that the TBM sister got a big cut for taking care of this and other paperwork for mom which was agreeable to all of us.

I suggest to all children of elderly TBMs to check into this if they're worried about it.

I've read about cases on RfM of the church draining resources before death so that the elderly suffered from lack of funds while they were still alive trying to make ends meet.

I read one story here about an exmo walking into his mother's sick room and finding the bish holding mom's purse as he opened her wallet to take out tithing money. The mom was in a comma, but the bish claimed she'd rallied and told him to take the money. That would be unethical even if the mom had mumbled something about tithes on her deathbed.

Yes, the church does go after estates belonging to the elderly and sometimes dying members.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2018 12:47PM by Cheryl.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 12:26PM

You bet.

This one particular b-hole in the ward I grew up in left his estate to TSCC. He had very few living relatives, perhaps just one nephew, but it went to TSCC. The house had a mother-in-law apt, so two units. it is now just another rental property that TSCC owns and is 100% managed by a third party mgt co that takes their gnarly share, but wtf does this gluttonous cult care? It's all gravy for them.

Posted by: Gheco ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 12:35PM

Would notbe surprised if they were working on systems to sell body organs of younger mormons that die.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 12:41PM

They already agreed to this in their temple. The claiming of the estate is just the paperwork.

Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 12:59PM

Ugh. Sickening. Years ago my TBM parents named me executor of their estate. I have 3 TBM siblings and the rest of us (4) are in various stages of non-belief. The only reason I can figure they asked me is because I generally get a long with everyone, and I’m in the best financial position and could be trusted to handle it. Meaning...I have 3 siblings that are a complete financial drain on my parents, one of whom has at least $40,000 in debt (not including car and she rents, so no mortgage) and just keeps racking it up with reckless abandon. So why would they trust any of them...TBM or not? Anyway, years ago they gave me a hand written living will (signed by a few witnesses, but nothing was drawn up by a lawyer). I think they had a freak-out moment while they were traveling, as they mailed this will to me. It was simple and the only thing church-related in it was a request to be buried in their temple clothes. For years I just had it locked up in my safe. A few years ago they asked for it back, stating that they needed to get something more official drawn up. I agreed and gave it back. Since then I’ve heard nothing about it, have no idea if they had an official will drawn up, or possibly named my snake of a sister (TBM and lives with them) as their new executor. I can’t help but wonder if there are more plans being set into motion regarding bequeathing their assets to tssc. I’ve noticed that the older they get the more gung-ho they’re getting about church (attending the temple, institute, evening religion classes, etc., etc. every week).
It’s not that I want to be their executor (my husband groaned and moaned when they asked me lol), but if the job went to my TBM snake of a sister AND things have changed since the original will to bequeath money to tssc I will be disowning myself. I need to figure a way to bring it up.

Sorry for the long story, but it feels relevant to this topic. And the stories never cease to shock me!

Date: February 01, 2018 01:36PM

Sounds like it's likely officially legal unless they've drawn up a new one since then.

Posted by: Visitors Welcome ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 04:56PM

bluebutterfly Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I’ve noticed that the older they get the more
> gung-ho they’re getting about church (attending
> the temple, institute, evening religion classes,
> etc., etc. every week).

Cramming for the finals?

Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 08:29PM

Visitors Welcome Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> bluebutterfly Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > I’ve noticed that the older they get the more
> > gung-ho they’re getting about church
> (attending
> > the temple, institute, evening religion
> classes,
> > etc., etc. every week).
>
>
> Cramming for the finals?

Right?!?!? Maybe if they cram at the end than nothing else will
matter...

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 02:22PM

Missions, temples, tithing and time ($) take MOST OF IT while they are alive. They hope and plan and connive to get the rest upon death.

If a Mormon dies with a million in $/ assets, they've already gotten (a minimum of) $100,000+. They hope, if they can't get any or ALL THE REST (from them) that a family member get it - and TITHES ON IT AGAIN (and again and again) - and they can get at least [another] $90,000 (of it) (from [the] clueless members).

It milks it's followers like cows and treats them like (lost) sheep [shit]. Moral crimes! Immoral 'church'.

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 02:23PM

My elderly parents moved in with my TBM sister so she could take care of them in their old age...and take care of them she did. My TBM sister and her husband drained our parents out of their entire life-savings (approx $250k). After our dad died and the money ran out they pushed our mother out to a retirement home and made her pay for it out of her social security. My brothers and I were stunned when we found out. It was elder abuse for sure but going after the missing money is not as simple as it seems. We consulted with a lawyer and he said it is most likely throwing good money after bad. We could get a judgement against her but she could declare bankruptcy and get out of the whole thing.

We are all still steamed about this.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 02:25PM

Ooh my god i was hoping this wasn't true. Can they really take from the dead? And do they do this a lot?

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 02:45PM

Screwing the dead is their expertise.

Posted by: Ànonforthisone ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 07:32PM

One of my family members left everything to the church, despite having loving relatives who did an awful lot for them and a severely disabled young family member.

The church got the house, and at the gathering there after the funeral the bishop acted like Santa Claus giving away personal items to members.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 07:35PM

That's disheartening.

Posted by: Ànonforthisone ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 09:40AM

I was only young at the time. This person lost a baby and probably thought leaving everything to the church might encourage Jesus to let them be together in Heaven.

Posted by: wee mannie ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 10:26AM

So an old TBM fella, let's call him Joe, say 90-odd years old, hears on Friday that he has inherited a million bucks from his heirless cousin. He doesn't need the cash, so Saturday he pays his tithing and splits the $900,000 balance between his three sixty-something sons. Each of them is financially secure so decides to pay his $30,000 tithing and split the remaining $270,000 between his three daughters. All nine cousins are in their thirties and forties and have husbands on the bishopric/sp, so Sunday they pay their $9,000 tithing and ask their husbands what they should do with the cash. They agree to use it as a teaching point in FHE, so Monday all 27 of Joe's grandkids are presented with a wad of bills to the value of $27,000 each and asked what's the first thing they should do with it? "Pay your tithing!" they all cry gleefully. And so everyone's happy, including the ward clerk who has raked in $271,000 tithing on a $1,000,000 capital.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 11:11AM

I have some good friends, a couple, and the wife's sister and sister's husband joined mormonism many years ago when they were newlyweds. Her mother is in her 90s and her trust even splits everything between the two daughters.

Her mother knows her mormon daughter will give 10% of her inheritance to the cult that caused her and her late husband so much hurt over the years. My friends have one child, her sister had six. So not only were the grandparents kept out of all her sister's kid's weddings, but the whole family was strained by the connection to the mormons. The sister was always a lot closer to the church than to her family, despite a lifetime of trying to get them to stay close. The non-mos were never part of the big moments in the kids' lives because they were baptisms, missions, etc. The sister was uncomfortable when they'd visit because coffee was brewed on a regular basis, as is with most people. The sister made sure she made mormons out of every relative who died and would let the rest of the family know that. Not that the dead dunking meant anything, but the disrespect to the family did.

Anyway, my friend said that they finally got their mom to just accept that it is what it is. The mother has no intention of doing anything different than evenly splitting her estate, she loves her daughter and grandkids. So they told her to look at it as helping the grandkids with college, since most of them went to BYU and their tuition was subsidized by the organization that her money would go to. So she's looking at that as the grandkids' college fund.

Luckily we don't have that problem in my family. The cult bled my parents dry while they were living so they won't be getting any visits by the estate gestapo.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 03:24PM

the house to the church as he just would never have done that. Besides he has a son who we always knew would be taken care of with any money they left.

My uncle was quite wealthy and he threatened the kids now and then about leaving his money to the church. He was a SP at one time. BUT he didn't. He left it to his kids including his lesbian daughter and her partner even if his kids were quite wealthy themselves and were doing just fine without his money. He still left it to them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2018 03:25PM by cl2.

Posted by: scmd not logged in ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 05:25PM

Many churches are probably happy to have elders donate the bulk or at least parts of their estates to their churches, but among mainline churches (I haven't a clue as to how the snake-handlers deal with it) they do not actively solicit, and they certainly don't send estate planners to the homes of those with one foot already in the grave. This is disgusting.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 07:56PM

The church got my lunch money. I know they'll get the rest.

Posted by: Gheco ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 10:21PM

LDS Inc may have bagged an elephant today with the passing of Huntsman.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 03, 2018 11:57PM

My parents were all but broke when they died. Never heard a word from the cult about it.

Posted by: Felix ( )
Date: February 04, 2018 12:33AM

This discussion makes me wonder if church has software program that assesses all pertinent info on members such as family dynamics, assessed value of estates, etc to identify likely targets. Also wonder how the money they receive in this way is used.

Posted by: YesVirginia ( )
Date: February 04, 2018 12:56AM

I was the home teacher to a woman in Orange County Ca who was groomed for years by the donations department. About a year before her death she donated her entire estate of $94 million to the church. During the year before she died, she asked my wife to drive her to and from the grocery store because she didn't want to hire a cab using "the Lord's money." Hmmm. $94 million but wouldn't take a $20 bill for a taxi.

Sad.

Date: February 04, 2018 12:22PM

I think she felt flattered from the attention from the official estate planner and liked that he used such a fancy term as "estate" to describe her fairly modest home and bank account.

A member doesn't need to be wealthy to have the church pressure them to leave everything to the morg. They'd be glad to take a two bedroom cracker box type home with no yard and in need of major repairs. Vacant lots can bring good prices.

My TBM sister wanted an inheritance to help her move from a ward and neighborhood she no longer liked. she was able to buy a better home in a nicer area and she loved it. It seemed like a waste to me because she had raised 12 children in a much smaller house. After they left she had a new up to date home twice the size for her, her husband and the one adult child who was too handicapped to live on her own. Three people are now rattling around in a large "estate" with several unused bedrooms, bathrooms and other extra rooms she never had before.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 04, 2018 12:39PM

I am curious as to the manner in which the Church Official Estate Planner (COEP) is rewarded for his efforts. (Surely this is not a task women can fulfill!)

How are the COEPs positioned in the first world countries? Is it by stake or area? Do the COEPs have an unlimited credit card, like the MPs? Are they recruited from insurance agencies and used car dealerships?

How long can they serve and do they have 'goals' to meet?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.