Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Birdman ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 11:49AM

I want to pose a hypothetical question, therefore a response like, “this would/could never happen”, is not a relevant response to the hypothetical.

So here is my hypothetical:

An angel, Jesus, or God Himself appears to you and states that, even though you left the Mormons, the Mormon church is the true church of God. Having this experience and knowing what you know about the doctrines of the church, would you join again?

My wife and I once had this conversation and the answer for both of us was a resounding NO! I was just curious what others on this board would answer.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 11:52AM

Of course I wouldn't. What I'd do is call my doctor for a physical and mental examination.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 11:58AM

No, I wouldn't.

Because if it's the "true church of god," then it's a "god" I want no part of.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 12:05PM

Not only NO, but Hell No!

I would ask Their Supreme Holinesses how I could get in touch with Lucifer because I prefer to go with someone who is kinder and more reasonable.

When you look at the big picture, Lucifer is a hero. He could see what kind of an egotistical,maniacle despot Elohim was and was just trying to save as many of his brothers and sisters as possible from Heavenly Father and his Sycophantic Son.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 04, 2018 03:33AM

This resonates.

Posted by: Nottelling ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 12:43PM

No, because it probably was Satan, he is a shape-shifter and can make himself into anything/anyone he wants. He can look really good and enticing.

Date: February 02, 2018 01:30PM

To me this seemingly silly question has a deep underlying philosophical meaning. God demands absolute obedience, but as a human being are there limits? For example, after supposedly freeing the people of Israel God ordered “his people” to eradicate their neighbors to include every man, woman and child. The people balked at that command and were punished for their disobedience. How far would you take your obedience and are their limits?

The problem I have with the church in Utah is that, no matter how absurd, people here obey. The only thing that needs to be said is that it is the position of the church and literally thousands of people fall in line without a second thought.

To simply say, that something that you don’t believe in, is due to the influence of Satan is not a good answer, because that would assume that the influence of Satan would be obvious to everyone.

Date: February 03, 2018 01:13PM

I agree we can't be absolutely obedient at all times, we are not capable, hence our "sin", which is why Jesus came (God's plan), I do have some maybe odd beliefs that when God flooded the earth, he did so because us humans wouldn't cooperate, and he figured he would start over with a small sampling and maybe then we would get it right, but since we are human and born with sin, we are not capable of getting it right, therefore the need for Jesus, he will take our sin.

Paraphrasing....
Sort of like alright already, I am tired of trying to fix this/them, so I will make one final attempt and put my own kid down there, he will take care of it.

Date: February 03, 2018 01:29PM

> To simply say, that something that you don’t
> believe in, is due to the influence of Satan is
> not a good answer, because that would assume that
> the influence of Satan would be obvious to
> everyone.

I disagree that Satan's influence would be obvious, if it were obvious it would be easy to say that is bad, I obviously can't do that, it is wrong.

Satan can make things look "good" and "nice", and we are attracted to him.

If you had the stereotypical hollywood version of "Satan" on the pulpit/preaching, you would be scared shitless and probably run out of the building, and vow never to go back, problem solved. But if "Satan" turns himself into a clean cut guy with a white shirt/suit etc, you wouldn't run or even think he is "Satan". This is an extreme example obviously but I wanted to give an example.

I think Satan finds our individual weaknesses and custom designs his plan of attack for each one of us. For some it is legalism, for others it is sex, workaholic, food, spending, self doubt, insecurity, whatever it is.

Date: February 04, 2018 01:00AM

Before I address your comment, I have to disclose that I think the Bible is nonsense. Just to reconcile the Old Testament with the New Testament takes a PhD in mumbo jumbo. But having said that, where do you get your specifics about Satan. The Bible makes him an enemy of God and an enemy of truth, but I don’t remember all these specific attributes.

Posted by: incognitotoday ( )
Date: February 04, 2018 07:48AM

If there is a god, he/she/it would of necessity be pure love. No Abrahamic religion represents love. They are fear-based and full of hate and revenge. The heavenly messenger would be wrong. Don’t fall for the scam.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 02:10PM

I'd ask to shake hands and go from there ;)

Posted by: laurad ( )
Date: February 03, 2018 07:57PM

Zing!

Posted by: Stubborn Apostate ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 02:11PM

I'd get out my phone and type Outer Darkness into Google Maps.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 03, 2018 01:21PM

Posted by: waunderdog ( )
Date: February 03, 2018 01:28PM

That would be a hellish situation. "So you're God, huh? And this is they way you want things? And you're going to punish me for not liking it and for thinking you're a tyrannical @sshole? Then I guess I'm totally f#cked."

Posted by: goldrose ( )
Date: February 03, 2018 06:38PM

Hypotetivally- Nobody, not even God should judge those, who leave. How could he be surprised, when the church is full of lies, hate, absurers and in charge and etc. If god came up to me and asked me to be active again, I'd ask him first to answer my long list of questions. My first questions would be: Why do I have to live this unhappy LDS life, if I want to be happy?

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: February 03, 2018 07:53PM

This actually was the last prayer I ever offered before leaving the church. I told god that if he truly loved me as I had been taught my whole life, then he would have no problem appearing to me "in the flesh" with his son and Bro. Joe. I would also require a short list of trusted deceased family and friends (that I named off in my prayer...some were TBM, some clearly anti) to appear to me as well and for ALL to testify of the truthfulness of the church and gospel.

I told god that if that were to happen, I would hope that I would be given the option to join them at that very moment. But if not, I would spend the remainder of my days on earth in his service testifying to the truthfulness of the gospel...that it WAS the ONE TRUE church on the face of the earth.

I said that prayer 20 years ago. Still waiting. Not holding my breath.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: February 03, 2018 08:34PM

Assuming that the God figure you postulate exists...

It is my very deeply held opinion (which I have had for a very long time now) that one of our most important responsibilities as individuals is to learn when to tell God "No."

If God says that you, as a woman and a mother (or as a parent, or other relative or member of the community), should turn your son over to priest-like figures to be burned alive...the answer is "No." If God says that you are to rape, torture, steal, enslave, (etc.), the correct answer is "No."

Likewise, for any other moral, ethical, or practical (includes dietary and compassion) issues to which the answer ("No") is the optimally "right" answer.

According to many different religious texts and religious traditions (worldwide), there are obviously a great many times when human wisdom and morality significantly exceeds that of the deities of that community or time period.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 03, 2018 10:04PM

Since I’d know they were lying, no I wouldn’t listen to them.

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: February 04, 2018 06:26AM

NO!

I will not ever want to sing forever praises to a god that is as cruel as the mormon god..

I'd rather go to outer darkness.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: February 04, 2018 09:47AM

Sorry, but I do have to throw, "That would never happen," out there, the reason being that, like Jaxson said, I already went through all of the prayer I could in order to give this Heavenly Father guy a chance to make himself known to me.

I said, "I'm losing my testimony here. Is that what you want? Surely if you're really there, you will come and rescue me. Anything. Just the slightest hint would help."

But after a few years of begging, pleading and crying, Heaven was silent. So yeah, I do believe that it would never happen.

After that scenario, I'd be with fossilman. I would call my doctor.

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: February 04, 2018 10:10AM

Simply a silly question. There is no god, angels, etc. So its and implausible hypothetical.

HH =)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.